Post-Game Talk: Leafs vs Jets: Final score in Shootout: 5-4 Loss

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
To say Scrivens was totally solid isn't accurate in my mind. The third goal was a direct result of a stupid play by Scrivens. He went behind his net to play the puck and sent it right to a Jets player. Literally 5 seconds later it was in the back of the net because he didn't have the time to get back, position himself properly and follow the puck as well as he needed. Maybe he doesn't stop that shot regardless but you he can't go unscathed considering it was him that starting the sequence that resulted in the goal against. And that fourth goal that was a wrap around? Come on now...that's what you call solid work? Did you not see how slowly Scrivens moved off to come across the other way?

It's unfair to make it seem like the team hung Scrivens out to dry when half the goals scored against us in regulation were a direct result of bad decisions by Scrivens. If you're going to harp on the loss of the extra point, let's just be clear, that loss was a team loss - Scrivens included.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Lupul's spirited return to the line-up lifted the Leafs and earned them a point in this game.. Without him in the line-up this game wouldn't have been close and another easy loss.

Hopefully this continues, and Lupul continues to make an impact where others can't or haven't to change Leafs fortunes for the positive.

In fairness, they were able to do it against the Pens and Lupul wasn't there to help them but seeing the contribution of Lupul in this game, I do understand what you're saying. As much criticism as Kulemin gets, I think he spearheaded the comeback with a goal late in the second period. I've always liked Kulemin's hard work though so maybe I'm a little bias - it was nice to see the guy score.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Many people have invested a lot of time, energy and money into this team for a lot of years. While the silver lining is that it will eventually make it so much sweeter (if) when they win, it also means that it's a natural reaction to get upset when they continually disappoint.

I'd guess that the majority of leaf fans get very upset by the losses, especially since its been the same story for the last decade. I'd also guess that the more die-hard of a fan you are, the more upset you are likely to get. Just to avoid any more "holier than thou" posts, you are likely to find a lot of die-hard fans on an Internet message board. Shocking revelation I know.

It has nothing to do with how committed you are to the team and everything to do with your own personality. Who are you to tell me that because I don't rant and rave after every loss that I'm not die hard fan? I've spent thousands of dollars of my own money to go to Leafs games and buy Leafs memorabilia. I never miss game. Being RATIONAL and REALISTIC WITH MY EXPECTATIONS doesn't make me any less of a fan. Shocking revelation I know.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Are you joking?

If Reimer had let the goals Pavelec let in last night this place would be flipping out about his crappy glove hand.....three leaf goals were glove hand shots and not one of them was a perfect shot.

Yet they still lost the game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We're talking about the game, not the shootouts.

You know... the game they're getting paid to play.

Not shootouts.

The game.

Sorry, that's all I've got for an Iverson impression.

We should probably clarify for those that did not watch the game.

The defense did not lose the game.

The 2nd. period 15 minutes of complete ineptness was a team wide effort.

It wasn't the defense.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
What has their coach or GM done to qualify them as "Great"?

They beat the Leafs twice in less than a week, doesn't that qualify. Mike you being from Buffalo how do you rate their prospects going forward against the Leafs prospects. I was certainly impressed with the big winger from Finland.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
And what are you doing here?

Scrivens was playing very good hockey until his team stopped playing in front of him. WTF was he supposed to do with those two mid-air goals?

I was going to respond but this guy is on fire:

To say Scrivens was totally solid isn't accurate in my mind. The third goal was a direct result of a stupid play by Scrivens. He went behind his net to play the puck and sent it right to a Jets player. Literally 5 seconds later it was in the back of the net because he didn't have the time to get back, position himself properly and follow the puck as well as he needed. Maybe he doesn't stop that shot regardless but you he can't go unscathed considering it was him that starting the sequence that resulted in the goal against. And that fourth goal that was a wrap around? Come on now...that's what you call solid work? Did you not see how slowly Scrivens moved off to come across the other way?

It's unfair to make it seem like the team hung Scrivens out to dry when half the goals scored against us in regulation were a direct result of bad decisions by Scrivens. If you're going to harp on the loss of the extra point, let's just be clear, that loss was a team loss - Scrivens included.

We may have played like crap in the 2nd period, but Scrivens was part of that. He made some terrible plays trying to play the puck directly leading to 2 goals. What does he do immediately after making a mistake playing the puck? He goes out and keeps doing it!

Ben Scrivens had a terrible game, I don't know how you can argue anything else.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Your first in a long line of apparent mistakes.....

I'm going back to Ernie Moser your not him, and a bunch of 1st rd'ers that Leaf mangement told me that these guys were the saviours. I'm not going to write them all down it would cause me incurable Carpal Tunnel.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leafs First Rounders in the NHL this year:

C N.Kadri (22): 29gms, 11gls, 27pts, 15:33 (82gms, 31gls, 76pts)
W A.Steen (28): 20gms, 5gls, 19pts, 18:33 (82gms, 21gls, 78pts)
W J.Tlusty (24): 27gms, 13gls, 22pts, 17:34 (82gms, 40gls, 67pts)

C N.Antropov (32): 28gms, 3gls, 14pts, 16:27 (82gms, 9gls, 41pts)
W B.Boyes (30): 28gms, 8gls, 24pts, 18:31 (82gms, 23gls, 70pts)

D L.Schenn (23): 28gms, 2gls, 7pts, 20:05 (82gms, 6gls, 21pts)
D C.Colaiacovo (30): 2gms, 0gls, 0pts, 17:27 (82gms, 0gls, 0pts)

G T.Rask (25): 20gms, 14-3-3, 1.92gaa, 2so, .928sv%

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Leafs First Rounders in the NHL this year:

W A.Steen (28): 20gms, 5gls, 19pts, 18:33 (82gms, 21gls, 78pts)
W J.Tlusty (24): 27gms, 13gls, 22pts, 17:34 (82gms, 40gls, 67pts)

C N.Antropov (32): 28gms, 3gls, 14pts, 16:27 (82gms, 9gls, 41pts)
W B.Boyes (30): 28gms, 8gls, 24pts, 18:31 (82gms, 23gls, 70pts)

D L.Schenn (23): 28gms, 2gls, 7pts, 20:05 (82gms, 6gls, 21pts)
D C.Colaiacovo (30): 2gms, 0gls, 0pts, 17:27 (82gms, 0gls, 0pts)

G T.Rask (25): 20gms, 14-3-3, 1.92gaa, 2so, .928sv%

That is really sad if you think about it. However Burke did do a good job of collecting other teams 1st rounders like JVR,Kessel,Gardiner etc.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yep, the first rounders on the leafs are pretty good, too.

W P.Kessel (25): 29gms, 10gls, 27pts, 20:03 (82gms, 28gls, 76pts)
W J.Lupul (29): 4gms, 2gls, 2pts, 15:44 (82gms, 41gls, 41pts)

C J.Colborne (22): ----
W J.VanRiemsdyk (23): 29gms, 14gls, 22pts, 19:13 (82gms, 40gls, 62pts)

D D.Phaneuf (27): 29gms, 4gls, 15pts, 26:07 (82gms, 11gls, 42pts)
D J.Gardiner (22): 2gms, 0gls, 0pts, 19:29 (82gms, 0gls, 0pts)
D M.Komisarek (30): 4gms, 0gls, 0pts, 15:21 (82gms, 0gls, 0pts)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
They beat the Leafs twice in less than a week, doesn't that qualify. Mike you being from Buffalo how do you rate their prospects going forward against the Leafs prospects. I was certainly impressed with the big winger from Finland.

Lol, im not Mike from Buffalo :laugh:

I wasnt even thinking about the Sabres when i chose that name, in retrospect its kinda funny.

Good 'ol Ontario boy here, Cherry would be proud :sarcasm:

Feb 24, 2004
It has nothing to do with how committed you are to the team and everything to do with your own personality. Who are you to tell me that because I don't rant and rave after every loss that I'm not die hard fan? I've spent thousands of dollars of my own money to go to Leafs games and buy Leafs memorabilia. I never miss game. Being RATIONAL and REALISTIC WITH MY EXPECTATIONS doesn't make me any less of a fan. Shocking revelation I know.

When did I say that you aren't entitled to react the way you want? When did I say that you aren't a die hard fan? I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion. You know who doesn't think that everyone is entitled to react the way that they want? This guy:

HockeyCrazed101 said:
I'm more serious than ever about my earlier suggestion - people go invest in some happy pills. If anyone feels the need to be dramatic, then you're taking this way too seriously.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
When did I say that you aren't entitled to react the way you want? When did I say that you aren't a die hard fan? I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion. You know who doesn't think that everyone is entitled to react the way that they want? This guy:

You said it was likely that the more die hard you are, the more upset you would be over a loss. Are you really clueless about the inference of your own words?

Saying that people take this stuff way too seriously and get over dramatic is the same as saying that people aren't entitled to their own opinion? In what universe, friend? Making a snarky comment about the way people react is NOT the same as saying that those people aren't entitled to react the way they do. The happy pill comment was a play on the several comments about how people can't take the disappointment, stress, etc. If you insist on watching, bettering your mood seems like a good alternative to stressing over a game and taking years off your life. At least it seems like a good alternative to me. It wasn't a serious suggestion but it is one that makes sense for people who truly feel that this process is suffering to them yet they still subject themselves to it :laugh:

Is there anything else I've said that you would like to over-analyze? Please feel free to keep piling it on!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad