Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - MOD WARNING POST #816

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The Leafs top 9 is built very well to beat a wing lock.
If you don't commit and overload the right side Nylander/Marner will carve up the 3rd man in space or Kappy will blow by him.

If you do overload then they can dump cross ice for our very good puck retrieval LW's, or bump back and have a talented LD step up with the C and LW.
Did you watch Canes game when they decided to really execute da trap so not shots on net? None of our lines got through it. Force every rush to boards and then apply lock. It results 100% of time in a dump in and/or puck loss. Our guys do not know how to win a board battle. To beat lock you have to win board battles. It is not a game we have shown any success when other team decided to play for real.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
On a scale of 1-10, how badly do you want the Leafs to lose?

I think our Leafs are going to win in 5, in and hard fought battle. :)

On a scale of wanting our Leafs to lose its Zero on a scale of 1-10.

With Leafs already have traded our 1st round pick in 2020, there is no outcome where no playoffs and no 1st round draft pick would be appealing to any Leaf fan.

For some odd reason you seem to be equating what I'm expect to be facing from the CBJ in this series and breaking down the opposition in what is likely going to be a hard fought series means I'm cheering against my own team. :help:

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think our Leafs are going to win in 5, in and hard fought battle. :)

With Leafs already have traded our 1st round pick in 2020, there is no outcome where no playoffs and no 1st round draft pick would be appealing to any Leaf fan.
That's wonderful news, Mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mess

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I can see Keefe saying just go up ice, assess trap and bring it back Euro style into our end. and rinse and repeat. It will be sh*t hockey but we will keep possession. Eventually da refs will be forced to call a delay of game penalty. And then Torts will go mad. Which will be fun to watch him go crazy. I think we will win this series but it will be tough. PP should carry day.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
ScholarlyAccurateBonobo-max-1mb.gif

That's wonderful news, Mess.

Maybe give it a go and try piping down on the negativity. As a mod, I would imagine that attempting to cause unrest would go against your assigned duties :)

The negativity is fine. Not even attempting an honest discussion isn't.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Shhhhhhh, because it's really about the tired old debate on the validity of stats to evaluate/predict performance.
Stats are cool tools IMO. Posters use it to validate their opinions and to de-validate other poster's opinions. Sometimes it comes across as sanctimonious and condescending.
Sorry, I have no numbers to back this up, just my eyes. :sarcasm:
I love stats, but this post is so, so, so on the nose. I find that these forums are a lot more fun if you just approach the whole thing as an exercise in cognitive dissonance and creative/persuasive writing.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
ah so they attack when they're behind and they defend when they're ahead.

crazy stuff.
Those decisions, matchups, changes all get made by coach... Torts knows his squad best and clearly he worked Tampa over in games 2, 3 and 4. It was men against boys.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Interesting but are you sure Torts didn't just tell them to go out there and get a better XGF%-rel squared?
LOL Torts does not even know what a XGF%-rel is hahahahhhaa but he knows hockey ... he knows when to press and which lines respond better against certain opponents ... and he knows when to fall back and trap ... it will be a real test for Keefe but I think we still win with PP alone

Reactions: ACC1224

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ferocious Forecheck or Disciplined Trap - you gotta pick one. can't have both.

Absolutely you can, teams don’t employ one tactic.
Ferocious forecheck when deep in leafs zone, f1 and f2, with f3 high in case they don’t gain possession.
if leafs gain possession then switch to a disciplined trap, jeez that’s not rocket science.

Also huge back pressure from forwards.

Reactions: Mess and ACC1224

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
LOL Torts does not even know what a XGF%-rel is hahahahhhaa but he knows hockey ... he knows when to press and which lines respond better against certain opponents ... and he knows when to fall back and trap ... it will be a real test for Keefe but I think we still win with PP alone
You don't think Tortorella the defensive tactical genius will teach his team how to exploit our minimum of three lousy drop passes before a PP zone entry?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
You don't think Tortorella the defensive tactical genius will teach his team how to exploit our minimum of three lousy drop passes before a PP zone entry?

Every team in the league was exploiting that by game 60 this season. Makes me want to scream when they do that. Just give the biscuit to Nylander and skate towards the net, it's not hard guys!

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Ferocious forecheck when deep in leafs zone, f1 and f2, with f3 high in case they don’t gain possession.
if leafs gain possession then switch to a disciplined trap, jeez that’s not rocket science.

If they don't gain possession f1 and 2 are trapped behind the play, hard to set up a trap when we've already gained the zone.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

nah, that is not how that works.

sending multiple guys in on the forecheck is by definition not trapping.

a trap isn't just "get back on defense when the other teams gets the puck".

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
heh, this is nonsense.

sending multiple guys in in the forecheck is by definition not trapping.

a trap isn't just "get back on defense when the other teams gets the puck".

I guess you never played, teams have a system when you have the puck, and when you don’t. You have a 1 man forecheck or 2 man, that can change depending on how the game is going.

Guy Boucher played like this, so do several coaches

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
At first I thought Kerfoot was a placeholder for Matthews in the first skating group, but now I'm not so sure.

Tavares' skating group is currently incomplete without Marner and Ceci, who are still getting tested, and there's no placeholders for them.

Is it possible that Matthews is going to start with new linemates? Although thinking about who's left, I don't know if any combination of Robertson, Kapanen, Spezza or Malgin would make a good 2nd line.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
At first I thought Kerfoot was a placeholder for Matthews in the first skating group, but now I'm not so sure.

Tavares' skating group is currently incomplete without Marner and Ceci, who are still getting tested, and there's no placeholders for them.

Is it possible that Matthews is going to start with new linemates? Although thinking about who's left, I don't know if any combination of Robertson, Kapanen, Spezza or Malgin would make a good 2nd line.

Matthews needs to quarantine upon returning , as of current rules.

Reactions: Papi 4 Hart

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Matthews needs to quarantine upon returning , as of current rules.
Wouldn't the first practice group have been incomplete like the second if that were the case?

If the point of the practice groups is to keep contact at a minimum for now, wouldn't moving Kerfoot to another practice group after Matthews' quarantine is over be irresponsible in a sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad