Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets - Cup quest begins...Camp is open!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
After remember all the injuries that have hit the Leafs this season, the thought that they've mostly recovered after this break is exciting.

Just think:

- Tavares' finger/hand would have really benefitted from the rest and regain some strength
- Marner's ankle should be much better
- Ditto with Rielly and Muzzin's injuries
- Soup gets a two week training camp to get his legs back under him
- Old man Spezza got a nice rest and hopefully will be good to go
- While Hyman wasn't injured, he plays a heavy game and the rest will really preserve his physicality for a run

But it all hinges on how Andersen can play out of the gate. I believe they can outscore Columbus if Andy can't bail them out, but they won't get far in round 1 if he doesn't figure it out quickly.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The pessimistic Leaf fan in me feels that many of the stars will just mail it in because it is the summer. If they lose to the CBJ, they get basically half a summer to themselves. our core really does not emit that team first aura. I just don't see this team going deep. Not a lot of warrior type personalities.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
lol, thanks...you quoted my post about Marner playing with Tavares hence my confusion.

Does his admission vindicate Simmons for spilling the beans earlier?
doubt it, doesn't fit the narrative some are selling.................

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
doubt it, doesn't fit the narrative some are selling.................
It was never-at least one my opinion, Simmons was spreading AM rumours but how he got the info and released it while the whole league is keeping quiet.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
lol, thanks...you quoted my post about Marner playing with Tavares hence my confusion.

Does his admission vindicate Simmons for spilling the beans earlier?

I dont think folks were necessarily skeptical of Matthews having tested positive.

They just felt it was sketchy to release another person's medical tests to the public without their consent

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It was never-at least one my opinion, Simmons was spreading AM rumours but how he got the info and released it while the whole league is keeping quiet.
a reporter digging into facts and reporting a story, I was under the impression that's what reporters are paid to do?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That may mean covid, that is how they have been told to report injuries by the league.
nice change of pace from the "upper/lower" body mambo jumbo we're usually told.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I dont think folks were necessarily skeptical of Matthews having tested positive.

They just felt it was sketchy to release another person's medical tests to the public without their consent

Nope, it's newsworthy and he's a public figure so if he has a serious health condition it should be reported if it can be verified

I may think Simmons is an absolute prat but I don't think he's wrong on this one

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Can you name another NHL player who tested positive?
not yet, but there are plenty of athlete's from a myriad of other sports that have been reported in the Canadian media, not to mention celebrities and other notable/famous people. It's news, and imo newsworthy.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
not yet, but there are plenty of athlete's from a myriad of other sports that have been reported in the Canadian media, not to mention celebrities and other notable/famous people. It's news, and imo newsworthy.
The reason you can't is no other journalist is taking it upon themselves to dig into a player's medical records and publish it with their name

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The reason you can't is no other journalist is taking it upon themselves to dig into a player's medical records and publish it with their name
public figures are newsworthy and cannot expect freedoms the average Joe gets, everything comes with a cost, celebs have to accept the good and bad aspects of being famous. I also find it laughable that TSN has zero problems reporting athlete's from other sports testing positive, but have put the 'cone of silence" over NHL players who have tested positive, talk about being hypocritical..................

Reactions: Jojalu

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
This training camp may decide many off the future offseason moves.

Excited to see Robertson at least in the exhibition game. I am not sure what they do next year but I don't like many of the proposed line combos where Kerfoot and Robertson are together. I feel that line would be too small.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
After remember all the injuries that have hit the Leafs this season, the thought that they've mostly recovered after this break is exciting.

Just think:

-
- Marner's ankle should be much better
- i.

he defintely didn't look like himself the last half of the season.
He had the ankle injury, but also later he was pulled of the ice after an injury of some sort, and from that point on he seemed to have lost his explosiveness.

Reactions: kb

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Really excited to see this team in playoff action. Our "kids" have been through it a few times now. It's time to step up and show some push back. We're missing Naz this time around, who was the gritty "heart and soul" type. But we have a better fighter and a guy who can control his emotions better in the big moments in Clifford. I think he'll be a big part of our hopeful run. Hoping a guy like JT wearing the C this year will show some grit and show that we aren't to be pushed around. It's not about being a bunch of tough guys, but being willing to push back and give an extra whack in the skates goes a long ways. Most importantly, showing that you have your teammates back out there. Even Kappy has dropped the gloves a couple times this year.
Newcomers to the battle:
Spezza, Clifford, Mikheyev, Engvall, Kerfoot, Barrie, Ceci, Holl.
Excited to see what this year holds. GLG!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In 39 games, which isn't a bad sample size, Mikheyev had a higher assist/60 rate then Marner.
ES, total assist/60

Marner: 2.03
Mikyehev: 1.71

ES, primary assist/60

Marner: 1.40
Mikyehev: 0.91

Mikyehev didn't play PP, but Marner also has the highest PP assist/60 on the team.

39 games is also not an adequate sample size. Mikyehev is a good player, but if you're expecting him to be a Marner-level playmaker moving forward, then you're in for a disappointment.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
That may mean covid, that is how they have been told to report injuries by the league.
Optimal word is 'may'.
Teams have been told to not disclose specific injuries to players, so any absence will be under that blanket term. That way no one will know if its covid vs the flu vs broken foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad