Pre-Game Talk: Leafs VS Islanders (7:30pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Seriously? Their entire shtick is masquerading as Leafs fans when all they do is bash the team and troll this board. It's a f***ing disgrace they're even allowed to do it in the first place.
Exactly. Thank god for the ignore function. Lol.

Reactions: AvroArrow

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Seriously? Their entire shtick is masquerading as Leafs fans when all they do is bash the team and troll this board. It's a f***ing disgrace they're even allowed to do it in the first place.

Valid criticisms does not equal trolling. Although it might seem that way when the board is populated by mostly homers who drink the kool-aid at every opportunity. And it goes both ways too, there's quite a few of the advanced stats crew/Dubas fans who are quite obnoxious and bash other members of the board calling them "dinosaurs" if they don't like/agree with analytics.

#1 reason why I don't post much anymore. Too many extremist on both sides.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Exactly. Thank god for the ignore function. Lol.
I would be one person IPS thinks is a troll but am a diehard. I just don’t settle for mediocrity and criticize because feedback is a vessel for change. In contrast to be who hate deliberate trolls, I think its refreshing when somebody is realistic about the team and doesn’t have rose coloured glasses on.

Need to avoid group think and self serving bias.

Edit: also criticize because passionate. I know Keefe isn’t taking feedback from HF

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Mentioned this during the GDT.

Wtf is going on here, seriously. I've seen them give so many ghost assists to McDavid and Drai but they're taking away a clear aassist for Matthews?

I noticed it had been taken away but watching the clip on the website I see why. It's not Matthews that plays the puck over to Bunting, it was the Ottawa defender.

Anyway, we've got what 7 games left? Gimme a few more goals and 6+ more assists and Matthews can be 60g+/50a+ which would be just a fantastic season. I still think he lands between 110-115 points when it's all said and done.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Playing the Islanders seems like a good time to remind people Tavares is going to finish with over 80 points and help lead this team to their best regular season in franchise history.

I go back and sign that deal 100 of 100 times, guy is a stud.
It's good to see Tavares has been coming around as of late, but make no mistake, it is Matthews that has led this team to it's best regular season in franchise history.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Valid criticisms does not equal trolling. Although it might seem that way when the board is populated by mostly homers who drink the kool-aid at every opportunity. And it goes both ways too, there's quite a few of the advanced stats crew/Dubas fans who are quite obnoxious and bash other members of the board calling them "dinosaurs" if they don't like/agree with analytics.

If you think those guys give "valid criticism" of the Leafs you're not even worth responding to.

And wow the Leafs board is pouplated with Leafs fans who cheer for the team? Omg what is this nonsense! Do you feel the need to go police every other team board for this?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I mean there is nothing for them to say this season so far. Hopefully Leafs don't give them any reason to say anything in the playoffs either. But yes, they have been obnoxious.

Reactions: bax

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
How nice of Matthews to give the rest of the team a chance to score. Let everyone else see their numbers hit certain milestones and feel good heading into the playoffs.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I would be one person IPS thinks is a troll but am a diehard. I just don’t settle for mediocrity and criticize because feedback is a vessel for change. In contrast to be who hate deliberate trolls, I think its refreshing when somebody is realistic about the team and doesn’t have rose coloured glasses on.

Ok. I was speaking about obvious posters which they both were. They were far on the other side of the homers. I’m a common sense poster like most here.

Reactions: ACC1224

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn’t be opposed to Toronto achieving a franchise record in season wins and points against their former GM. What better way to do that than with a John Tavares game-winning goal? If not that, then two goals from Auston Matthews to give him his 60th goal would also be equally as sweet to me.

I honestly don’t care about the final score as long as their effort is there from the start until the very end of the game. They only have one regulation lost in the last three weeks, so I’m not really going to be overly critical of anything that happens regardless.

Then again, home ice advantage sounds pretty sweet to me, so scratch everything I said and win at all costs. ;)

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
If you think those guys give "valid criticism" of the Leafs you're not even worth responding to.

And wow the Leafs board is pouplated with Leafs fans who cheer for the team? Omg what is this nonsense! Do you feel the need to go police every other team board for this?

I'm just saying most aren't objective, that's all. But thanks for proving my point.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Edit: also criticize because passionate. I know Keefe isn’t taking feedback from HF
Never thought you to be a troll but ok.. I've never been against reasonable criticism against the Leafs and engage in it myself quite a bit. The two posters referenced are not even close to reasonable critics.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's truly incredible how quickly Lou has saddled the Islanders team with several anchor contracts.

I think Islanders needs to be understood like the 90s Fletcher/Burns era Leafs. Lou's been extremely successful over the past few years delivering franchise stabilizing, short term success, kind of like the Gilmour era Leafs when they went to the final fours and restored the credibility of the franchise but ultimately lacked championship caliber talent. Now their mortgage payments are due. That's why I've never worried about their success or particularly envious of their runs.

The Dubas era Leafs have legitimately higher aspirations to win a championship, but have been slow to get out of the starting blocks a la the early 90s Red Wings. Our mission, timeline, strengths, upside are completely different to the Islanders.

Reactions: Menzinger

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
He's right though. Criticize a certain popular player and this forum's maturity level dives into the single digits. Of course, if you're ever proven right, those same people will disappear as if shielding their eyes from "the big meanie" will somehow protect their egos and they NEVER apologize. But if you're off one time, just once, they will pile on and snipe you like crazy...sort of like all the trolls who only appear when the Leafs lose.

Frankly, this is by far and away the most immature forum I've ever visited and I've posted at forums full of trolls who literally do nothing but flame people all day long.

Reactions: TMLegend

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I know those guys have been critical, but what exactly did the Leafs prove during this regular season exactly? It's not like they have proven anyone wrong yet. Everyone knows this is a very good regular season team.
Does everyone know that though? I read a lot last year about the North division and waiting to see how they would do against real teams. Sure playoffs have yet to be seen but they have proven a lot of comments from last regular season wrong imo.

As far as I can tell they have a better record against the best teams in the real division than all the other best teams in the division have against each other. But I’m not a stats guy so I could be wrong?

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

HF Boards with a good representation of real life. Extremism is rampant in society

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Does everyone know that though? I read a lot last year about the North division and waiting to see how they would do against real teams. Sure playoffs have yet to be seen but they have proven a lot of comments from last regular season wrong imo.

As far as I can tell they have a better record against the best teams in the real division than all the other best teams in the division have against each other. But I’m not a stats guy so I could be wrong?
You are correct.

Not just that, a lot said Matthews would never replicate his Richard year once he had to play "Real Teams"

6 straight years in the playoffs and setting a career high in wins and points is still an accomplishment. It obviously is not the endgame but while they toiled out of the playoffs near the bottom of the standings for so many years this was just a dream

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think Islanders needs to be understood like the 90s Fletcher/Burns era Leafs. Lou's been extremely successful over the past few years delivering franchise stabilizing, short term success, kind of like the Gilmour era Leafs when they went to the final fours and restored the credibility of the franchise but ultimately lacked championship caliber talent. Now their mortgage payments are due. That's why I've never worried about their success or particularly envious of their runs.

The Dubas era Leafs have legitimately higher aspirations to win a championship, but have been slow to get out of the starting blocks a la the early 90s Red Wings. Our mission, timeline, strengths, upside are completely different to the Islanders.
did Lou inherit Mathews/Marner/Nylander like Dubas did ? it's truly remarkable how many people continually give Dubas credit for acquiring our franchise players

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Mentioned this during the GDT.

Wtf is going on here, seriously. I've seen them give so many ghost assists to McDavid and Drai but they're taking away a clear aassist for Matthews?

NHL.com still has him at 44 assists and the box score still reflects the Matthews assist. Probably just Sportsnet being it's usual crappy self.

Edit: I'm dumb and talking about the Marner goal.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
did Lou inherit Mathews/Marner/Nylander like Dubas did ? it's truly remarkable how many people continually give Dubas credit for acquiring our franchise players
Lou did inherit Nylander. Also literally nothing about the post you quoted was giving Dubas credit for acquiring those three players. Weird tangent for you to go off on though.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Who cares?
obviously you seem to since you gave Dubas credit for acquiring Mather and Marner

the question is why do some of our fans need to shit on Lou , he hasn't said one word since he went to the Island

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lou did inherit Nylander. Also literally nothing about the post you quoted was giving Dubas credit for acquiring those three players. Weird tangent for you to go off on though.
the entire post was how Dubas built for a championship while Lou just built for a little short term success which ignores what each person inherited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad