Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
you think dekes for days is your personal character.
It's not my personal character, as a human. That still doesn't mean I appreciate my internet character being compared to the biggest troll in this site's history after correctly answering a question and providing multiple sources that that specific individual asked for, and I see no reason to not defend myself against such harassment while I'm on here.
Gotta go BBQ some wings before the game.
Cheers,
Sounds tasty. Enjoy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You cut some pretty important parts of those quotes out Gary. :boredom:

Pretend you have a sense of humour, you might see that the post is just fine as it is.

Not everything here has to be super serious, it's not a court of law. Learn to laugh at yourself from time to time, trust me it makes life a lot easier.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The records.nhl.com site (NHL official site) has a list of consecutive playoff appearances. It includes the Pittsburgh Penguins at 14 (through 2019-20) and lists it as an active streak. So, it seems officially, the NHL considers the qualifiers as playoffs.

NHL Records

That looked really conclusive, but I did catch this in the heading:

Playoff Team Records

Most Consecutive Playoff Appearances

Print
Note: 2019-20 includes results from the Stanley Cup Qualifiers.

It seems like it might be distinguishing it from "Playoffs" there too.

That said, I don't think it takes away from the fact that it is indeed a playoff appearance, or else they just wouldn't include them here, I think. You've got me leaning towards these qualifiers being the 2019-20 NHL Playoffs.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
That looked really conclusive, but I did catch this in the heading:

It seems like it might be distinguishing it from "Playoffs" there too.

That said, I don't think it takes away from the fact that it is indeed a playoff appearance, or else they just wouldn't include them here, I think. You've got me leaning towards these qualifiers being the 2019-20 NHL Playoffs.

Or they may just be emphasizing the fact that the Qualifiers are included in the Playoffs.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think the NHL is just labeling the entire series the "playoffs" for convenience sake. As in, an umbrella term for fans, the media, etc. to describe the entirety of this return to play event to crown a champion.

So in the literal sense this play-in round is in fact merely a qualifier for teams (to get into the actual playoffs), as is the round robin is for seeding. The actual playoffs - again, literally - start once there are 16 teams as in any other season.

The stats for players count because ... what else are they going to do? Can't include them in regular season standings with only 24 teams competing (for one) and since these are clearly not exhibition games the goals, assists, team stats, etc. should count somewhere.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Wikipedia says it's playoffs, though NHL has one interesting press release:
Yeah, but that's clearly addressing the fact that specifically the "first round" and "second round" series lengths were yet to be determined at that point, based on the subsequent line: "When the NHL on May 26 announced its Return to Play Plan, which involves 24 teams in competition for the Stanley Cup, it said the length of the first-round and second-round series would be determined."

On records.NHL.com, which details the specifics of this playoff format, they say something similar but there is a very specific distinction:

"2019-20:
Series Lengths
All rounds after the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers feature best-of-seven series (First Round, Second Round, Conference Finals, Stanley Cup Final)."
Pretend you have a sense of humour
I have a great sense of humour. Next time you should try saying something funny. :)

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Hot take retool:

Brady Tkachuk + for Mitch Marner +

I don’t know the value differences to make this work, but as long as Ottawa is sending more back and the additional Leaf pieces are minor I would find a way to make it work.

Lawson Crouse for Andreas Johnsson/Kasperi Kapanen

Preferably Johnsson but if it requires Kapanen then adjust the +s to make it work.

William Carrier for Travis Dermott + Jeremy Bracco

—————-

Sign Robin Lehner or trade for Matt Murray depending in the price.

Trade Frederick Anderson for futures.

—————-

Promote Rasmus Sandin to Travis Dermott’s spot. Walk away from Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie, bring back Cody Ceci if the value is there, aka borderline league minimum.

Give Timothy Liljigren the 6/7 role. Keep Holl. Acquire 1 more defenseman either via trade (another piece in the Mitch Marner trade) or by signing a UFA (Dylan Demelo).

You could flip the remainder of Kapanen/Johnsson for a defenseman. Alex Kerfoot too but then we need to bring in a grittier 3rd liner centre in the trade somehow (again could be another piece in a Marner trade).

This still maintains the same identity as a fast skilled team but we completely add another dynamic.

I wonder if Melynk would bite on Marner’s contract considering his cash owing is less than his cap hit and he will sell jerseys?

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Hot take retool:

Brady Tkachuk + for Mitch Marner +

I don’t know the value differences to make this work, but as long as Ottawa is sending more back and the additional Leaf pieces are minor I would find a way to make it work.

Lawson Crouse for Andreas Johnsson/Kasperi Kapanen

Preferably Johnsson but if it requires Kapanen then adjust the +s to make it work.

William Carrier for Travis Dermott + Jeremy Bracco

—————-

Sign Robin Lehner or trade for Matt Murray depending in the price.

Trade Frederick Anderson for futures.

—————-

Promote Rasmus Sandin to Travis Dermott’s spot. Walk away from Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie, bring back Cody Ceci if the value is there, aka borderline league minimum.

Give Timothy Liljigren the 6/7 role. Keep Holl. Acquire 1 more defenseman either via trade (another piece in the Mitch Marner trade) or by signing a UFA (Dylan Demelo).

You could flip the remainder of Kapanen/Johnsson for a defenseman. Alex Kerfoot too but then we need to bring in a grittier 3rd liner centre in the trade somehow (again could be another piece in a Marner trade).

This still maintains the same identity as a fast skilled team but we completely add another dynamic.

I wonder if Melynk would bite on Marner’s contract considering his cash owing is less than his cap hit and he will sell jerseys?

Why? he was horrible against MTL, and has been absolute crap for awhile now, makes no sense.... why trade for worse than what we have...

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Well, at least it's over, the bad boys can't hurt us anymore. I hope you guys have a Western team to cheer for to keep the playoffs interesting.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I've been thinking a lot about the use of the super line in the last game. I don't particularly have a problem with it-- in fact I think that it could be an exciting possibility. It was painfully obvious that what Keefe did with the remainder of the line up was the issue. Moving Willy to C was a disaster. Playing Mango at all after such a long layoff.

I realize that this is somewhat of a pointless venture at this point, but I'm into history and like discussing what could have been if strategies were deployed different.

Tavares Matthews Marner

Hyman Spezza Nylander
(Gifted natural C, lots of minutes for 1 night)

Soup Kerfoot Kappy

Robertson Engval Clifford
(Playing 4 mins for 1 night won't kill his development)

unknown33429

Aug 12, 2020
The records.NHL.com site is not just a fun time for casual fans. It's the written and detailed explanation of all historical playoff formats. There is no ambiguity. There is no other interpretation. They specifically say it's the playoffs, which is consistent with how everything is being recorded and their official press release and statement regarding this.

They do not say it's the playoffs.

It's a tournament to determine who gets into the playoffs.

"The tournament began Aug .1 with the Stanley Cup Qualifiers, which include 16 teams paired in eight best-of-5 series and a round-robin among the top four teams in each conference to determine seeds for the Stanley Cup Playoffs."

"The “qualifying round” has previously been referred to as a “play-in” round"

It determines seeding and teams that qualify for the playoffs. It's not the playoffs any more than the games in the regular season are the playoffs because seeding and qualifying are normally determined at the conclusion of the regular season.

This argument could have ended with 5 minutes on google.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They do. Their official stance is that it's the playoffs.

NHL Records
2019-20: The NHL announces on May 26, 2020, the conclusion of the 2019-20 regular season as well as a modified competitive playoff format that features 24 teams
2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers
The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs begin with the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers, which feature both a Round Robin and Qualifying Round.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

It's a tournament to determine who gets into the playoffs.

"The tournament began Aug .1 with the Stanley Cup Qualifiers, which include 16 teams paired in eight best-of-5 series and a round-robin among the top four teams in each conference to determine seeds for the Stanley Cup Playoffs."

"The “qualifying round” has previously been referred to as a “play-in” round"

It determines seeding and teams that qualify for the playoffs. It's not the playoffs any more than the games in the regular season are the playoffs because seeding and qualifying are normally determined at the conclusion of the regular season.

This argument could have ended with 5 minutes on google.
exactly this, a qualifying round to see who makes the playoffs thanks for the explanation very much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad