Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Leafs got away with some shit too, like Tavares high sticking McAvoy. the only thing that makes this shit is Boston scored immediately after.

doesnt change the fact we had 5 powerplays to their three- one of ours being a dum ass play from Benoit, and we scored on none of them while Boston scored on 1 of their three (not counting the empty net).

Cant blame the refs in this game. Our team just needs an entirely new coaching staff

Screw that, if were gonna let him walk at least trade him for an asset or two in the off season.
no trade clause. he would have to ok a trade

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013
Leafs got away with some shit too, like Tavares high sticking McAvoy. the only thing that makes this shit is Boston scored immediately after.

doesnt change the fact we had 5 powerplays to their three- one of ours being a dum ass play from Benoit, and we scored on none of them while Boston scored on 1 of their three (not counting the empty net).

Cant blame the refs in this game. Our team just needs an entirely new coaching staff

Screw that, if were gonna let him walk at least trade him for an asset or two in the off season.
Also doesn't help when the one powerplay they had something going Swayman's mask mysteriously broke and needed 3 minutes to fix. When the powerplay resumed all momentum was gone.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There's no excuses at this time of year, but I do wonder where we would be right now if Matthews, Marner and Nylander were healthy throughout this series.

I guess we'll see if it makes any difference on Tuesday.

Reactions: Buds17

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
There's no excuses at this time of year, but I do wonder where we would be right now if Matthews, Marner and Nylander were healthy throughout this series.

When you have guys like Patrice Bergeron who play with collapsed lungs and ripped shoulders and still drag their team deep into playoffs, these things ring very very hallow.

Our guys are just soft delicate little flowers who think they're entitled to success.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
And I still believe they will.
I hope you are right, but I haven't seen much that makes me believe they will.

It's not like they are dominating and being goalied... they are being outplayed in every area of the game! Special teams being the most significant.

I feel like I might already know the script for game 5. Leafs come out hot, B's goalie makes a couple great saves. Leafs get the first PP of the game, generate nothing and lose momentum. Somewhere near the end of the first, Boston get a PP and scores.

Reactions: theTTC

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I hope you are right, but I haven't seen much that makes me believe they will.

It's not like they are dominating and being goalied... they are being outplayed in every area of the game! Special teams being the most significant.

I feel like I might already know the script for game 5. Leafs come out hot, B's goalie makes a couple great saves. Leafs get the first PP of the game, generate nothing and lose momentum. Somewhere near the end of the first, Boston get a PP and scores.
I would like to see Keefe end the Reaves experiment in game 5, which I think is what will happen. His impact is minimal at this point, and I think it's clear that trying to outhit Boston isn't producing the desired outcome.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Shouldn’t the talent advantage the Leafs have somewhat negate the goalie advantage Boston has? Instead they are making Swayman look like the best goalie in the league right now.

The supposed talent advantage the Leafs have had over the years has never paid off. In fact, all the talent talk ever managed to do was make Leafs players crumble under the weight of their supposed superiority while putting a target on their backs for every Tom, Danault and Harry to knock them down a peg or two.

In a league of 31 other teams and superstars, who all bring talent, sacrifice and hard work in greater measures, that talent talking point has always been a disgracefully shallow self proclamation. No wonder this team is both so bizarrely fragile and seemingly resilient as well. To quote Bob Dylan, they’re better than no one and no one is better than them.

I don’t know if I want to see a comeback. Just seems like a waste of time if we’re going to pump Toronto up for another Game 6 shit the bed fest at home, or a Boston Game 7 song and dance.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I would like to see Keefe end the Reaves experiment in game 5, which I think is what will happen. His impact is minimal at this point, and I think it's clear that trying to outhit Boston isn't producing the desired outcome.
I don't mind Reaves, and I think any team looking to the fourth line to be the difference maker has no chance anyway.

The hitting I think is good, when paired with other aspects of the game. I felt in games 1 through 3 we softened them up, but the big guns were not able to take advantage. Similar story to past playoffs.

One of the guys on one of the post game shows commented about taping things onto the core in hopes it makes a difference. It has never worked. We have added skill, defence, physicality and leadership over the years and the core is still hapless. Imo Ryan O'Reilly willed this team to that first round win last season...

I believe that until the core is changed, nothing will change. And that this regime has not done that to this point is quite frankly shameful.

I don't feel there are lineup changes to be made that will alter the path of this series... strategy changes, probably, but feels like we are beyond that at this point.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The supposed talent advantage the Leafs have had over the years has never paid off. In fact, all the talent talk ever managed to do was make Leafs players crumble under the weight of their supposed superiority while putting a target on their backs for every Tom, Danault and Harry to knock them down a peg or two.

In a league of 31 other teams and superstars, who all bring talent, sacrifice and hard work in greater measures, that talent talking point has always been a disgracefully shallow self proclamation. No wonder this team is both so bizarrely fragile and seemingly resilient as well. To quote Bob Dylan, they’re better than no one and no one is better than them.

I don’t know if I want to see a comeback. Just seems like a waste of time if we’re going to pump Toronto up for another Game 6 shit the bed fest at home, or a Boston Game 7 song and dance.
I'm not sure we have a talent advantage over Boston, how do you even measure talent? Doesn't matter anyway though, talent means nothing. What matters is how good the players are at playing hockey. Best player in the series is Matthews but after that, it gets murky. You could argue that Boston has the next 5 best players with McAvoy, Pasta, Marchand and both their goalies.

Ha, if I had that kind of power I can promise I wouldn't be using it on a hockey team.
You may have powers that you're not even aware of so why not give it a shot?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’m sure Leafs fans are frustrated but I can tell You as a Sens fan watching from afar when Matthews gets a playoff warrior on his line your team is going to be scary. Leafs feel like Florida before the Matthew trade - you need to get #34 some dudes who can be with him in the big moments - Matthews is ready but the guys around him aren’t. When he has that guy, your team will take the next step. (Braydon Pointe, Justin Williams)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure we have a talent advantage over Boston, how do you even measure talent? Doesn't matter anyway though, talent means nothing. What matters is how good the players are at playing hockey. Best player in the series is Matthews but after that, it gets murky. You could argue that Boston has the next 5 best players with McAvoy, Pasta, Marchand and both their goalies.

You may have powers that you're not even aware of so why not give it a shot?

I don’t know if the Leafs ever had a talent advantage over anyone but that was the management talking point over this era which only ever brought trouble.

Talent in some pure abstract form still relies on effort and structure to be properly utilized and this organization has always struggled to deliver on those other two. Never starting on time, culture of meaningless games, low motivation, horrible AHL level coaching.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
I’m sure Leafs fans are frustrated but I can tell You as a Sens fan watching from afar when Matthews gets a playoff warrior on his line your team is going to be scary. Leafs feel like Florida before the Matthew trade - you need to get #34 some dudes who can be with him in the big moments - Matthews is ready but the guys around him aren’t. When he has that guy, your team will take the next step. (Braydon Pointe, Justin Williams)
That was the idea with Bertuzzi/Domi, given the cap situation I don’t think we could’ve dreamt of 2 better fits (on paper)

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I see three possibilities here:

1. Leafs lose in game 5 = similar to game 4
2. Leafs win in game 7 = team snaps out of it and goes on a run and saves the team
3. Leafs lose in game 7 = bring hope to the fan base but then kills us again

I think the third option is most likely cause its very leaf like.

Reactions: Bellzy

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
For a change, how about a few words about players who have impressed you in the series? Or even just last night!

Lyubushkin had a very strong game. He battles, when the Leafs were pressing he had some timely pinches and good rushes that almost resulted in a goal.

I've been happy with Benoit in the series and Knies was dangerous when the Leafs were pressing

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Matthews, Bertuzzi, Domi, Marner and Lyubushkin are the only players to have more than one point over these first four games. That's a lot of production lacking in too many places.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad