Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Pretty sure they already have all that in place... it has been discussed in the past, and even specific to Marner.

I believe we have 2.
Really? Do you guys by any chance have a link to something I can read about this? This is so interesting to me as I've been thinking about it for years (and I haven't seen anything posted here about this). Why don't they have someone to work with him? Or maybe they have, and we just don't know about it but if that's the case, why isn't it working? It's just fascinating to me because I've said a few times that one way to be a much better team in the playoffs is to get Marner to be the best version of himself.

Same goes for a media coach. I've wondered do they not have someone helping him with how to address the media? Or maybe they do and the kid just doesn't understand what they're telling him? I mean obviously that doesn't matter at all compared to what he does on the ice but still, it's interesting to ponder.

Shouldn’t the talent advantage the Leafs have somewhat negate the goalie advantage Boston has? Instead they are making Swayman look like the best goalie in the league right now.

But that's our specialty, making opposing goalies looking like Vezina winners. It's so damn frustrating and even more frustrating is our PP, just mind boggling how this seems to be such a huge problem for us every year in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Shouldn’t the talent advantage the Leafs have somewhat negate the goalie advantage Boston has? Instead they are making Swayman look like the best goalie in the league right now.
The Leafs dont have much of a talent advantage with Nylander out and Marner playing like this.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Really? Do you guys by any chance have a link to something I can read about this? This is so interesting to me as I've been thinking about it for years (and I haven't seen anything posted here about this). Why don't they have someone to work with him? Or maybe they have, and we just don't know about it but if that's the case, why isn't it working? It's just fascinating to me because I've said a few times that one way to be a much better team in the playoffs is to get Marner to be the best version of himself.

Same goes for a media coach. I've wondered do they not have someone helping him with how to address the media? Or maybe they do and the kid just doesn't understand what they're telling him? I mean obviously that doesn't matter at all compared to what he does on the ice but still, it's interesting to ponder.
I don't have any info on a media coach, but I am sure they have one of those as well.

If you don't have an Athletic sub search the internet for paywall bypass. This article is from a while ago, so the people could have changed, but what they do would not.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't have any info on a media coach, but I am sure they have one of those as well.

If you don't have an Athletic sub search the internet for paywall bypass. This article is from a while ago, so the people could have changed, but what they do would not.

That's interesting, thanks! I've never heard of paywall bypass before, I'll look into it later when I have more time. But thanks again, I'm surprised that I've never seen anyone post any information about this before.

Reactions: wingman75

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Time to go back to basics on PP1:

Bert-Knies
Nylander ----------------- Matthews
Rielly
Bert and Knies crowd the net/tip rebounds, Nylander and Matthews blast pucks/pass, Rielly gives it Nylander/Matthews or wrists it on net for the rebound. Keep it simple.

PP2:
Tarvares
|
Robertson
Marner --------------- Domi
Lily​

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Might as well completely revamp the pp before Saturday. Betting on the current status quo to suddenly change doesn't seem like a great bet

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
We aren’t winning this series our team needs a culture change. If our primary strength is scoring goals yet Boston is blocking most of our shots, Boston goalie standing on his head yet Boston is still out scoring us in the series its a huge red flag. Especially when we can’t capitalize on a power play yet we are suppose to have one of the best forward groups. Boston has scored like 11 goals on us across 3 games Toronto has scored 6.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If they make changes, I'd go

Marner as low fwd, either Domi/Nylander high LW. Keep Matthews and Tavares where they are

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hilarious that Bruins fans think the leafs/toronto get some sort of advantage in calls & rules. Bruins fans reaching levels of delusion never thought possible.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How tf you gonna win a series when there's a 50% chance you get scored on on the penalty kill? Is this fixable? Discuss.
They will win this series even with the special teams as they are, but can they beat a team like Carolina, literally the best special teams team in the league, with these special teams? The Leafs better hope that the Rangers can eliminate Carolina (Pesce being out will be an issue for the Hurricanes).

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Call me crazy but maybe, just maybe, the 2 guys that have excelled with Matthews and been great at 5 on 5, should be playing with him on the powerplay, when the PP is at 9% ? I dunno though i'm just an average dude, but I feel like that would be a logical move, when the special teams are struggling this bad, just maybe, put 3 guys out there who have proven to have great chemistry ?

Matthews, Domi, Bert are playing very well 5 on 5, why not try them on PP1 when it's been complete dog shit so far ? Am i nuts ? Yes, but am I nuts for suggesting this ?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Matthews, Domi, Bert are playing very well 5 on 5, why not try them on PP1 when it's been complete dog shit so far ?

Yep. Suggested this very thing a couple of weeks ago.

The only thing I can think of (besides him just being a bad coach) is that Keefe is afraid of a locker room revolt if he takes anyone (read: Tavares, Marner) off PP1.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Call me crazy but maybe, just maybe, the 2 guys that have excelled with Matthews and been great at 5 on 5, should be playing with him on the powerplay, when the PP is at 9% ? I dunno though i'm just an average dude, but I feel like that would be a logical move, when the special teams are struggling this bad, just maybe, put 3 guys out there who have proven to have great chemistry ?

Matthews, Domi, Bert are playing very well 5 on 5, why not try them on PP1 when it's been complete dog shit so far ? Am i nuts ? Yes, but am I nuts for suggesting this ?
It just seems so obvious they should do something different that hasn't been scouted to death as well.

Maybe the new coaching staff will try it at training camp. :)

Reactions: AvroArrow

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
They will win this series even with the special teams as they are, but can they beat a team like Carolina, literally the best special teams team in the league, with these special teams? The Leafs better hope that the Rangers can eliminate Carolina (Pesce being out will be an issue for the Hurricanes).
For being a fan of the Toronto maple leafs you look into the future way too much

There’s no guarantee they win this series, in fact it’s probably more likely they will lose. This series is playing out almost identical to the 2018 and 2019 series of the past. The leafs lost both of them. Players have changed on both sides, but the guys who’ve been here the entire time have looked like they always have and the others aren’t doing anything else. I don’t see what the difference is from then and now

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
For being a fan of the Toronto maple leafs you look into the future way too much

There’s no guarantee they win this series, in fact it’s probably more likely they will lose. This series is playing out almost identical to the 2018 and 2019 series of the past. The leafs lost both of them. Players have changed on both sides, but the guys who’ve been here the entire time have looked like they always have and the others aren’t doing anything else. I don’t see what the difference is from then and now

Yes, and it’s very sad. Boston has lost Krejci, Bergeron, Chara, Rask, and they are still somehow better than Toronto. Very sad.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Yes, and it’s very sad. Boston has lost Krejci, Bergeron, Chara, Rask, and they are still somehow better than Toronto. Very sad.
Whether it’s Andersen or Samsonov, they are worse than the guy on the other side

Whether it’s JT-Marner-Matthews-Johnsson-Rielly or JT-Marner-Matthews-Bertuzzi-Rielly the pp is going to suck when we need it

Whether it’s Kapanen/Hyman/Marner/Brown/ or Marner/Kampf/Holmberg/Jarnkrok the pk can’t go over kill a penalty to save its life

Names have changed sure, but plays, tendencies, finishing, excuses have not

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Should have tried something else weeks ago. The ineptitude of our PP is so frustrating that I don't even know how to put it into words. So sick of Keefe.
We've tried 3-4 different looks over this dry spell and the whole board lost their mind when Nylander went to PP2 last year.

I'm fine if we shuffle things again and revamp our plan, but there have been different looks

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

The Leafs have outplayed Boston for most of the series, including last night's game. As that trend continues, I expect the goals to come for the Leafs, especially with Nylander back in the lineup.

• Haha
Reactions: egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad