Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
They have to cut out the stupid penalties asap

Bertuzzi with a bone head spear and got lucky there was no goal on that PP

McCabe with a very unnecessary cross check and they paid the price for that one

Be smart and don’t give up these chances

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Playoff games 1-4 (points/PPG)

34, 16 and 88.

Is it possible Marner is saving himself for games 4-7? Hmmm.

35​
1.03​
39​
1.15​
26​
0.81​

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Hopefully this series is '93 all over again:

ynm3bi.jpg

The meltdown in Boston would be glorious.

This is the series that made me a Leaf fan.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Back at it tomorrow. When the leafs are done I'm hit with such existential defeat, like there is nothing to be excited about for another year. Hope we can keep rolling.

Doesn't give much time for Willy or McMann to recover. That's 2 top 6 forwards absent

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Start with this series... how has he been outcoached?
no, no.

you responded to me when I said BOS has the better coaching, which is true. What gives you the idea that Keefe is a better coach than JM after all of Keefe's playoff coaching failures?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
With last change in game #3, Bruins will have no shot of stopping the Nylander-Tavares-Marner line. This will force Montgomery to match Lindholm/McAvoy against the Matty line or the Tavares line, either way advantage leafs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
no, no.

you responded to me when I said BOS has the better coaching, which is true. What gives you the idea that Keefe is a better coach than JM after all of Keefe's playoff coaching failures?

They've both won the same amount of series.

I am just curious based on systems, why you think he is better.

I don't know who is better, I haven't analyzed their systems in depth like you (I assume), but the amount of "Keefe sucks" or "Keefe is getting outcoached" without any examples is always comical, and this is the general response, people avoiding answering.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
They've both won the same amount of series.

I am just curious based on systems, why you think he is better.

I don't know who is better, I haven't analyzed their systems in depth like you (I assume), but the amount of "Keefe sucks" or "Keefe is getting outcoached" without any examples is always comical, and this is the general response, people avoiding answering.
JM didn't lose 4 series and get out coached in all of them (including last year's Tampa series). Keefe has gotten outcoached in all of his playoff series. Columbus, MTL, Tampa x 2 and FL. That's a large body of work. This isn't anything new or "comical", if you watched those series you would know. Our special teams are not good and his line matching is horrific. Again, what makes you think Keefe is better than JM?

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Still need to tidy up a few things but overall great response from the team

1) That 2nd goal to end the period cannot happen. Complete defensive breakdown, there is no way you can leave Pastrnak that wide open, from that close, especially to close out a period. Don't blame Sammy on that one at all, cannot happen

2) Can't take undisciplined penalties. That penalty Bert took on Marchand can't happen. Yes Marchand should have gotten an embellishment but going out of your way to go "slash" a guy (no matter how soft the slash) is just dumb. Thankfully we killed it off, but imagine they tie the game on that PP ?

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

1) That 2nd goal to end the period cannot happen. Complete defensive breakdown, there is no way you can leave Pastrnak that wide open, from that close, especially to close out a period. Don't blame Sammy on that one at all, cannot happen

2) Can't take undisciplined penalties. That penalty Bert took on Marchand can't happen. Yes Marchand should have gotten an embellishment but going out of your way to go "slash" a guy (no matter how soft the slash) is just dumb. Thankfully we killed it off, but imagine they tie the game on that PP ?
I don't mind the Bert slash because I don't think it affected the outcome of that play at all. I'm 90% sure Coyle wasn't getting a penalty until they had two Leaf calls (they didn't want it to be 5v3 so they evened one up). To me, that was a free whack at Marchand and I take they every time.

The Boosh roughing (and McCabe crosscheck) was the one we need to avoid, I'm not sure why the Leafs see red every time Boston gets close to Sammy after a whistle. Get between them and the goalie, get position and clear them out, you don't need to punch them in the mouth.

Reactions: AvroArrow

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
JM didn't lose 4 series and get out coached in all of them (including last year's Tampa series). Keefe has gotten outcoached in all of his playoff series. Columbus, MTL, Tampa x 2 and FL. That's a large body of work. This isn't anything new or "comical", if you watched those series you would know. Our special teams are not good and his line matching is horrific. Again, what makes you think Keefe is better than JM?

So special teams that he doesn't run? And line matching but not the important things like systems?

Interesting.

In every single series, he has been outcoached?

When they win? Outcoached.

When they outplay the opposition? Outcoached.

I don't know who is a better coach, but assuming the convo is over since you can't point to a single system issue and your only complaint has been that he doesn't line match hard enough, and he hired the wrong people for the PP and PK?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leafs heavies need to pick and choose a little better when to play heavy and when to be a little greasy. When playing defensively just collapse to the crease after a whistle and be protective. Nothing too aggro but don’t take flack, don’t let someone fall on your goalie. Be big, assertive, police the chaos.

In the opposition end, feel free to crease crash and incite Boston to get crazy. Rattle their goalie.

Greasy retaliations and bit hits? Don’t need to get carried away after you’ve just been run, are lining up for a draw. Put the revenge card in your back pocket for later, behind the play and save your big hits and standing guys up when the flow of the game calls for. Like a heavy forecheck. Or when they’re breaking out.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Plenty of blame to go around, but ultimately that's a shot going straight into the middle of the goal - if Pastrnak absolutely lasers one top corner, fair enough, but that's dead center of the goal. You need a save there.
Full credit to Sam for settling down and making some big saves, but that shot went through him. Can't happen this time of year.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't mind the Bert slash because I don't think it affected the outcome of that play at all. I'm 90% sure Coyle wasn't getting a penalty until they had two Leaf calls (they didn't want it to be 5v3 so they evened one up). To me, that was a free whack at Marchand and I take they every time.

The Boosh roughing (and McCabe crosscheck) was the one we need to avoid, I'm not sure why the Leafs see red every time Boston gets close to Sammy after a whistle. Get between them and the goalie, get position and clear them out, you don't need to punch them in the mouth.
To defend Boosh a bit, Coyle took a few whacks at Samsonov and the second one clipped him in the mask (this wasn't really covered by the commentary), he already kinda got shaken up earlier when he took a puck off the mask. I don't love the timing of Boosh losing his cool, but I don't hate the principle of him sending a message, and Sammy is one of his closest friends on the team I think.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

This dude's brain is broken.

I thought Edmundson had a pretty good game, but Edmundson had the worst stats (Liljegren too).

Lots of slot chances against and not much in the way of offense.

It also looks like he is getting sheltered and starting a lot in the offensive zone.

These stats also show the Tavares line really struggled.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Plenty of game to go around, but ultimately that's a shot going straight into the middle of the goal - if Pastrnak absolutely lasers one top corner, fair enough, but that's dead center of the goal. You need a save there.
Full credit to Sam for settling down and making some big saves, but that shot went through him. Can't happen this time of year.
I agree. Yes it's Pasta being left open, but Ullmark and Swayman have both made multiple point blank saves on our guys right in the slot. Matthews alone has had 3-4 chances he should've buried, Robertson a couple, Jarnkrok etc.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Who the hell is this guy and does LasikMD still have a sale going on ? What game was he watching ?

A guy like Scott Wheeler isn’t going to understand heavies. You can make a point that Edmundson could be better or we’ll need a puck moving pickup in the series but that’s the kind of player you need to grind out a really nasty road win at a low score.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
So special teams that he doesn't run? And line matching but not the important things like systems?

Interesting.

In every single series, he has been outcoached?

When they win? Outcoached.

When they outplay the opposition? Outcoached.

I don't know who is a better coach, but assuming the convo is over since you can't point to a single system issue and your only complaint has been that he doesn't line match hard enough, and he hired the wrong people for the PP and PK?
It's hard to believe I know but he was. He hasn't won a single coaching battle as of right now. You are disputing these facts but its evident you didnt watch any of the series and now spinning your wheels because you know JM is the better coach and (going back to my original point) BOS has the advantage in that department. On top of it all, you can't give one example of how Keefe is better Lol. Go back to bed

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I thought Edmundson had a pretty good game, but Edmundson had the worst stats (Liljegren too).

Lots of slot chances against and not much in the way of offense.

It also looks like he is getting sheltered and starting a lot in the offensive zone.

These stats also show the Tavares line really struggled.
He started 65 percent in the D zone.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad