Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs arizona coyotes

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Why would they need a rest. The players with the most minutes will not, AM, MM, WN,JT, then why would a 4th liner who plays 10 to 12 min need Simmonds to give them a rest.

More getting people reps and seeing different combinations.

I don't know, maybe they run the same 12 forwards every game and don't change everyone, but people are up for a paycheck and practice, I'd just think they'd also take the opportunity to see some other combinations and keep people ready incase of injuries.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

Hopefully this works out how he has envisioned it. I understand the logic of creating a bit of pressure for some fringe guys to perform in a game that we traditionally have trouble getting up for. It's a raw deal for Nick, but at the end of the day it shouldn't be the end of the world. Just blows my mind how Sheldon has prioritized getting our 3rd string goalie reps but not the player who earned his way onto the lineup in training camp.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I can agree to disagree with the call. I've been right sometimes, and I have been dead ass wrong a lot of times when it comes to lineup decisions. I'll defer to Sheldon's experience and feel on this one as he is the one in the room. Just get the 2 f***ing points. Getting only 1/4pts off of Arizona last season shouldn't make Sheldon this confident to start his 3rd string goalie. But again, get the 2pts and I will gladly admit defeat on this one.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't see them doing anything except being in our zone.

Do u remember any significant hits or plays?

Yeah they've thrown some pretty big hits, NAK more notably. It's probably the only thing they've done that's noticeable.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Hopefully this works out how he has envisioned it. I understand the logic of creating a bit of pressure for some fringe guys to perform in a game that we traditionally have trouble getting up for. It's a raw deal for Nick, but at the end of the day it shouldn't be the end of the world. Just blows my mind how Sheldon has prioritized getting our 3rd string goalie reps but not the player who earned his way onto the lineup in training camp.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I can agree to disagree with the call. I've been right sometimes, and I have been dead ass wrong a lot of times when it comes to lineup decisions. I'll defer to Sheldon's experience and feel on this one as he is the one in the room. Just get the 2 f***ing points. Getting only 1/4pts off of Arizona last season shouldn't make Sheldon this confident to start his 3rd string goalie. But again, get the 2pts and I will gladly admit defeat on this one.

the 3rd string goalie is currently our backup and we have 7 games in 14 nights, is it really that bad?

worst case for Robertson, I am pretty sure his salary just went up 10x, so I am sure he is happy. Obviously, he'd be happier playing, but he will have a chance.

I'd rather let Engvall sit for a game or push ZAR out for a game and run 3 scoring lines with Nylander/Robertson/Malgin on line 3, but I can see this being experimented with at some point anyway, so I won't lose sleep over it.

I just want to see this at some point this season:

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Kerfoot - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Robertson - Nylander - Malgin
Engvall - Kampf - NAK

someone's 3rd line is going to have to shut down Nylander or Tavares, not a fun task.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Samsonov is on a roll, but let’s put in our third stringer who can barely make saves at the AHL level.

If this doesn’t spell disaster, I don’t know what does.
What is a disaster, to you, 3 games in lol.

I would like to see Samsanov again too, but I wonder if the goaltending coaches want to get a good long look at Mr. Kallgren so they know what they will have to work with. I imagine Murray's injury is probably weighing heavy on a lot of minds in the org right now.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Seems like a bit of taking an opponent for granted.

We all know how that usually turns out unfortunately.
Considering we lost twice to this team last year and it being a Monday night game against Arizona, and them being +400 it looks like an easy bet. Nothing shows me this team is any different than last year, Kallgren being a sub .900 sv% starter makes this almost a guaranteed loss

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Leafs don’t have a back to back for two weeks, so getting Kallgren into some action against a weak team is an opportunity to gain some confidence.

Plus Samsonov’s workload should be managed. His career high is 44 games). So any chance you can get away from having to start him is not a bad call.

Wish Robby would get in though.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022

This is huge tactic by keefe. Tortorella worthy.
Also Källgren will play like a zerogame tonight. They ain't have nothing in their lineup. We do.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
the 3rd string goalie is currently our backup and we have 7 games in 14 nights, is it really that bad?

worst case for Robertson, I am pretty sure his salary just went up 10x, so I am sure he is happy. Obviously, he'd be happier playing, but he will have a chance.

I'd rather let Engvall sit for a game or push ZAR out for a game and run 3 scoring lines with Nylander/Robertson/Malgin on line 3, but I can see this being experimented with at some point anyway, so I won't lose sleep over it.

I just want to see this at some point this season:

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Kerfoot - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Robertson - Nylander - Malgin
Engvall - Kampf - NAK

someone's 3rd line is going to have to shut down Nylander or Tavares, not a fun task.
This makes a great deal of sense. Good thought.
Robertson made this team and taking a chance of 3 very good offensive lines would be fun to see. Malgin and Rob on same line may be too small but worth a look.
Wish Keefe could think like this.

To remove NAK, ZAR or even Engval and replace him with Simmonds is dumb. He didn't make the team, we tried to give him away, and we are only 3 games in.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Samsonov is on a roll, but let’s put in our third stringer who can barely make saves at the AHL level.

At some point Kallgren is gonna have to draw in, Murray is on LTIR and won't be back for at least a month if not more. Samsonov was never supposed to play every single game as it was, and he's gonna have an increased workload now regardless.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Mike Stephens

@mikeystephens81

Keefe says “there was a discussion for sure” about putting Robertson in the lineup tonight. Says they wanted to let this lineup roll & see how they react to the players outside the lineup chomping at the bit to get in.

11:03 AM · Oct 17, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

there's that out of the box thinking again , lol

more like they want to give Malgin every opportunity to justify Dubie trading Marchment for him

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
At some point Kallgren is gonna have to draw in, Murray is on LTIR and won't be back for at least a month if not more. Samsonov was never supposed to play every single game as it was, and he's gonna have an increased workload now regardless.
Really the best time to get him in. Good chance Samsanov gets the run of the games after today. I probably would still put Samsanov in but I get it.
Robertson should be playing though

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
i like kallgren and think he gets a little more hate than deserved, but i also enjoyed this tweet that i saw earlier

• Wow
Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

That would be 3 games in 4/5 nights for Samsonov. Unless you want to be playing with an AHL goalie for an extended period of time due to another injury. Now is the best time to play Kallgren

i like kallgren and think he gets a little more hate than deserved, but i also enjoyed this tweet that i saw earlier

Which is why I think anyone who doesn’t believe the Leafs are hoping Samsonov is the long term answer is ludicrous. I think Samsonov is the guy they are hoping becomes their long term goalie. He’s 25 , young and will only get better. I think Murray was always the insurance… if this young guy doesn’t pan out we have a guy with pedigree there type thing.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

No need of needlessly wearing down Samsonov.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Mike Stephens
@mikeystephens81

Keefe says “there was a discussion for sure” about putting Robertson in the lineup tonight. Says they wanted to let this lineup roll & see how they react to the players outside the lineup chomping at the bit to get in.

11:03 AM · Oct 17, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

there's that out of the box thinking again , lol

more like they want to give Malgin every opportunity to justify Dubie trading Marchment for him

More like you are delusional.

Malgin has played well, and Robertson will get games soon, if he doesn't while Murray is on LTIR, I will start to believe your theory, but currently, there is no evidence of this other than a few posters who post this in every thread trying to make it a thing.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
People losing their minds about Samsonov not playing tonight would be the same people dooming if he were to go into the playoffs "playing to much". We have to get our backup games at some point and this is a game we should win with our 3rd stringer in net.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
More like you are delusional.

Malgin has played well, and Robertson will get games soon, if he doesn't while Murray is on LTIR, I will start to believe your theory, but currently, there is no evidence of this other than a few posters who post this in every thread trying to make it a thing.
you believe every poster is delusional who doesn't blindly support/defend every move the team makes like you , lol

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The regular season still matters a little bit as the leafs should be competing for the president's trophy and lock up a more favorable first round opponent. However, I do think that the Leafs should be trying to get some stability and familiarity with their goaltending situation. I'm not sure how much this one game will end up mattering, but it just seems more useful to let Samsonov get on a bit of a roll
Yeah, I would have to agree that the regular season is kind of important, too.

I would still start Samsonov tonight, if I had the choice, but it does seem that the Leafs management team have been pretty much on the ball overall in building a contending team.

I'll watch their games with interest.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This is huge tactic by keefe. Tortorella worthy.
Also Källgren will play like a zerogame tonight. They ain't have nothing in their lineup. We do.
Doesn't anyone find it odd, and a bit contradictory how we as a fanbase and Sheldon as the coach continually demand better results against non-playoff teams, and not playing down to our opponents. Yet, accept the fact that we are not putting out our best lineup, in this case goaltender, because the opponent is not worthy of our best lineup???

Sheldon has made this mistake before by playing our backup against "bad" teams before, and it has cost us points. So it's not a one-off. IMO, by icing a less then optimal lineup as a coach you have already played down to your opponent before the puck has even dropped.

We have shown time and time again an inability to control games against teams exactly like the yotes. We get too cute with the puck, and we play exactly into their system. We get caught on sloppy turnovers, and it bites us in the ass. We lost the division, and an ideal first round opponent last season by going:

Montreal (2-2-0) 4/8 pts available
Arizona (0-1-1) 1/4 pts available
Buffalo (1-3-0) 2/8 pts available

we got 7 of the possible 20pts against these 3 teams. If we were to have got 16 of those pts we would have won the division, and that's not even considering the 3+ goal leads we lost FLA and COL (and probably others), as well as going 0-2-0 against another non-playoff team in Vancouver.

All I am saying is our division is way too good to be giving up points to shitty teams. We cannot guarantee a good matchup in R1 even if we win the presidents trophy, but last season it was the difference in playing TB over WAS in R1. Every game matters. We have to respect every opponent

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
People losing their minds about Samsonov not playing tonight would be the same people dooming if he were to go into the playoffs "playing to much". We have to get our backup games at some point and this is a game we should win with our 3rd stringer in net.
who's losing their minds ? all i see is some posters rationally discussing the merits of starting Samsonov

if anyone is losing their ''minds'' it's a few who can't fathom the thought of fans discussing moves the team makes

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
who's losing their minds ? all i see is some posters rationally discussing the merits of starting Samsonov

if anyone is losing their ''minds'' it's a few who can't fathom the thought of fans discussing moves the team makes
I am not going to go back and quote the posts. If you weren't losing your mind about it then I wasn't talking about you no need to get all defensive about it! It will be okay.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I am not going to go back and quote the posts. If you weren't losing your mind about it then I wasn't talking about you no need to get all defensive about it! It will be okay.
you're always going to get the odd poster who goes a little over the top but for the most part people are just discussing the merits of who should start

i could go both ways but i feel it's more important to keep/get Samsonov on a roll and up his confidence than it is to get our 3rd stringer some games

Reactions: leafsfan5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad