Speculation: Leafs trade predictions

which leafs are moved this off-season?

• Total voters

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Reasoning?
The team makeup is very soft. Adding Trouba helps but losing Kadri cancels it out. The Leafs could keep their center depth, Kadri is more affordable at 4.5M for 3C and it helps the Leafs cut cap to accomodate Trouba. They also don't have to give up what may be some valuable prospects and picks to balance the deal. If an extension is in place for Trouba, each team would probably not find a better match in trade.

Reactions: Hunter368

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I think it would cost a lot to get rid of Zaitsev, plus the Leafs have to get someone to replace his minutes, and that will cost a lot of assets or cap, so I really don't think it's worth it to trade him, unless there's a dumb GM willing to take him for free.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think it would cost a lot to get rid of Zaitsev, plus the Leafs have to get someone to replace his minutes, and that will cost a lot of assets or cap, so I really don't think it's worth it to trade him, unless there's a dumb GM willing to take him for free.

Zaitsev will fetch a + return, not a negative. He has value as a PK RHD, we don't love him but you will see He will not cost us assets to trade him.
I promise :)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The team makeup is very soft. Adding Trouba helps but losing Kadri cancels it out. The Leafs could keep their center depth, Kadri is more affordable at 4.5M for 3C and it helps the Leafs cut cap to accomodate Trouba. They also don't have to give up what may be some valuable prospects and picks to balance the deal. If an extension is in place for Trouba, each team would probably not find a better match in trade.

I want Willie gone so they can afford to sign Mitch, KK, and AJ. Having just three elite offensive guys is enough and is a more cap compliant way of biasing salary. I don't think Winny needs another scoring winger though, so I would move NK if it was the core of a Trouba deal. I would move Willie+ for a #3c+. Love Kadri's game but not his antics and they should be looking at a bit younger and a bit cheaper #3 if possible..

As has been stated before, Kadri can play farther up the lineup than a typical #3, but when you have Matthews and JT thats a capability that the club doesn't need. They can find a lesser guy with similar ES potential and run with that instead. Not Willie under any circumstances because you don't pay your #3c $7M a year and have him compete with Matthews and Tavares for minutes. And maybe not as abrasive as a guy NK but that doesn't mean he has to be soft.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I seriously doubt it will cost us to get rid of Zaitsev's contract
He's a top 4 RD that can eat 5v5 minutes competently, PK, his contract isn't a complete anchor, he skates and he's youngish still

Most of us fans on hfboards are what I'd call a subset of the hockey universe, we tend to be more analytics driven and pick holes in players games for what guys aren't rather than what they can do

A lot of GM's don't necessarily think that way, their trying to put competitive teams on the ice and keep there jobs, so if you've got cap space and need a top 4 RD Zaitsev looks way better, especially if he's basically free

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
With all due respect, if we don't have someone better than Brown coming up the pipeline then Dubas (and his Amateur Scouts) should be fired.

Brown is not a bad player, but we as fans we should hope there is talent better than him in our system.

Well our early picks have been mostly defenders the last few drafts and we have a lot of guys locked in already. That’s why we traded Leivo.

Brown is pooped on around here because he isn’t putting up 80 goal seasons.

For $2M you’re expecting to get pretty much what we get with Brown. We have some guys with higher upside, sure, like Bracco, but you’re going to give up forechecking and grit from Brown to get a guy like Bracco, who is more of a perimeter player?

What this team needs is more guys like Hyman/Moore but with slightly higher skill (although Hyman is doing alright). But Brown is the best of that kind of player we have right now. Again, possibly Marchment is worth a look.

But we have one year left of Brown so I wouldn’t be in a rush to fill those skates this season.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Marlie or not, you can replace what Brown does for less. Agree to disagree on Brown's talents, or at least the way his talents are utilized. They'll do better than 2.1 mill for a 4th liner

What Brown does is be consistent, so I would humbly say you cannot. The Marlies will take time to earn trust in key situations and time on the PK.

There are Marlies with higher upside to Brown that cost less, for sure, but they won’t be better this year and won’t be reliable for a few years.

I just don’t see Brown as a focal point for change like so many here seem to. He’s barely costing more than an ELC and provides more reliability on the roster than anything we could replace him with.

Reactions: Ciao and kb

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011

I don’t think Zaitsev will cost anything to move. I also think that if Toronto can’t replace him they are making a mistake. RHD in the league is unbelievably thin. Even losing Ozhiganov to the KHL could hurt as he was the 7th best available free agent RHD in the league this year and did provide depth.
Marleau will cost to move, but it is necessary.
Toronto should move Kapanen (RW) to Carolina for a RHD and re-sign Johnsson (LW) as he is a more complete player.
Gardiner goes, re-sign Hainsey for 5-7 duty and PK.
If Kadri goes for Trouba awesome its what we need. If we could land 2 RHD that would be incredible.
I believe we will see Mikhayev and Korshkov playing next year as well.
Fans who think Nylander or Marner are going anywhere I believe are wrong. Skinners deal last night at $9M just made Nylander's deal a bargain. The rest of the league will be following suit shortly as a result. The next 3 weeks is going to be very interesting for the entire NHL.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I believe Marner is gone which is very unfortunate but I’m excited to see the return. My dream scenario is Marner and Marleau to COL for Makar and 4th overall.

Reactions: mulefarm

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He doesn't need a 12m mansion living by himself being while on the road half the time. He'll sell it and buy a condo if he does not end up moving during the off season. That said, it certainly does lean the way of a move happening.

You realize that buyjng a house for 11.6 million and selling it for 11.8 million will result in hundreds of thousands in losses right?

Forget the obvious additions/Reno’s like the rink.

It costs 3-500 k in land transfer tax on an 11 million house. So the house is over 12 million

And then what 2-5 percent real estate fees? That’s 200-400 k. That then gets taxed.

He’s taking a bath on the house...... and then he rents a condo?

After his base salary would barely cover the losses
There is no reasonable way he is planning on staying here and selling that house. It’s the worst investment decision like ever

Reactions: Ciao

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Trade for Colin Miller, that is what I want at this point. RHD and a good deal, plus Vegas is up against the CAP as well.

There are so many options

Try to get 2 cheaper like hamonic/miller

Try to go big like pk or ek or Trouba.

Try the double package like

Kadri and Z for savard and Jenner
Or
Kadri and kappy for hamilton and a 3c

Very interesting

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Try to get 2 cheaper like hamonic/miller

I like something like this because I don't want to get rid of the three headed monster down the middle and think the Leafs can get a trade done without resorting to trading Naz

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
I want Willie gone so they can afford to sign Mitch, KK, and AJ. Having just three elite offensive guys is enough and is a more cap compliant way of biasing salary. I don't think Winny needs another scoring winger though, so I would move NK if it was the core of a Trouba deal. I would move Willie+ for a #3c+. Love Kadri's game but not his antics and they should be looking at a bit younger and a bit cheaper #3 if possible..

As has been stated before, Kadri can play farther up the lineup than a typical #3, but when you have Matthews and JT thats a capability that the club doesn't need. They can find a lesser guy with similar ES potential and run with that instead. Not Willie under any circumstances because you don't pay your #3c $7M a year and have him compete with Matthews and Tavares for minutes. And maybe not as abrasive as a guy NK but that doesn't mean he has to be soft.

Skinner signing for $9M just made Nylander’s deal a steal. Nylander is a #1 RW playing with our #1C. Nylander is not going to play C on the Leafs on a regular basis.
Kadri in a Trouba deal I can see. Marner will sign, Kapanen trade for Pesche would be nice. Sign Johnsson as he a more complete player over Kapanen. Trade Marleau, Zaitsev (only if RHD is acquired) and trade Brown. Several Marlies will have to play in bottom 6.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What Brown does is be consistent, so I would humbly say you cannot. The Marlies will take time to earn trust in key situations and time on the PK.

There are Marlies with higher upside to Brown that cost less, for sure, but they won’t be better this year and won’t be reliable for a few years.

I just don’t see Brown as a focal point for change like so many here seem to. He’s barely costing more than an ELC and provides more reliability on the roster than anything we could replace him with.

Even without Marleau they have 5 legit top 9 wingers. Moore, Petan, Bracco, Engval, Mikheyev, Korshkov and next seasons Ennis all want a top 9 spot and 8 goals is pretty replaceable. . 20 goals wasn't a fluke, Brownie doesn't belong on a 4th line. For sure there is no desperate need to get rid of him, but without decent minutes his value doesn't grow so he just becomes next seasons own rental. Time to see if he can recover any magic with McDavid and to give the wingers in the system a spot to shoot for. He deserves a chance for a bigger role than the club can offer him, and the third line needs to be updated. The cap saving is just a nice bonus to what could be a win win for player and club.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Skinner signing for $9M just made Nylander’s deal a steal. Nylander is a #1 RW playing with our #1C. Nylander is not going to play C on the Leafs on a regular basis.
Kadri in a Trouba deal I can see. Marner will sign, Kapanen trade for Pesche would be nice. Sign Johnsson as he a more complete player over Kapanen. Trade Marleau, Zaitsev (only if RHD is acquired) and trade Brown. Several Marlies will have to play in bottom 6.

I think Skinner's being a UFA doesn't effect the worth of the Nylander RFA contract. A stupid overpayment because the Sabres were afraid to let a guy go to market. Does anybody think any other club would pay $9M for 63 pts? Dream scenario to go the a club with no snipers and get to be Eichel's designated shooter. He should take a discount for the plum spot he has there, but instead the guy greases the club like he is doing them a favor. Botterill is going to be wearing this #hitty deal but it has Pegula's fingerprints all over it. Easy for me to say because I don't have the weight of next seasons Sabre expectations, but they should have let the little prick go to market and then signed him for market value instead of letting him establish a new one.

Nylander's deal maybe will become a steal if he scores 80 pts next year although that is still well off of an actual steal like Pastrnak. He should be writing the Leafs a cheque back for the season he just gave them. then maybe 65pts would be a bargain return for his price (except in Buffalo:) . Willie was only overpaid by a few hundred k, and of course the fact he was made whole for the games he didn't play, but he did establish that the club will let players set new compensation thresholds in spite of getting the best front loading and bonus structure in the history of the game. He absolutely punked Dubas because KD had buck fever for a Cup run and mistakenly thought Willie could be a significant part. If Willie sat the season out does anyone think the club would have been less successful? Does anyone think that telling Nylander to pound sand would have make the Matthews negotiation worse? He needed to win that first negotiation and instead he got rag dolled.

Trouba is so enticing but the idea of trading for him and then having to pay massive UFA money to keep him is a deal breaker. He only has real value if they can confirm an extension as part of the trade but I would much rather overpay for a top pairing D then a winger. I don't expect the club would actually replace Kadri with Willie, that was more for the people that were suggesting such a shift would work, because AM and JT should probably be playing 42:00 per game to maximize their talent so the ideal #3 is not much more than a 10:00 per night guy.

Depending on the deal I would keep Kapi and AJ over Willie. You need some bargain contracts to offset the $10M ones, of which the Leafs will soon have three. To have those two for a couple of seasons at under $5M give important cap flexibility and their current trade value isn't going to get a massive return. I don't see Pesce for Kappy one for one. Willie has higher one for one value and the WHC pumped his value up again. Willie for $6.5, MM for $7.5 and AM for $10.5 would not have been picking these guy's pockets last summer and would have given them a core they could keep, but clearly earning is more important to winning.

A Zaits deal is almost mandatory, because you don't want that malcontent shit in your locker room, but I agree that if the deal isn't there, why get bent over? If he doesn't report he doesn't get paid, and if he frustrates the contract, he also doesn't get paid. The cap space they really need can come from Marleau and they could deal with things like the Isles did with Hamonic, except the Isles said right off the bat they weren't going to do a knee jerk deal whereas the Leafs said a public adios. It doesn't sound like the club feels keeping Z is an option, but they could have proabbly played the optics a bit better.

Last edited:

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
I think Skinner's being a UFA doesn't effect the worth of the Nylander RFA contract. A stupid overpayment because the Sabres were afraid to let a guy go to market. Does anybody think any other club would pay $9M for 63 pts? Dream scenario to go the a club with no snipers and get to be Eichel's designated shooter. He should take a discount for the plum spot he has there, but instead the guy greases the club like he is doing them a favor. Botterill is going to be wearing this #hitty deal but it has Pegula's fingerprints all over it. Easy for me to say because I don't have the weight of next seasons Sabre expectations, but they should have let the little prick go to market and then signed him for market value instead of letting him establish a new one.

Nylander's deal maybe will become a steal if he scores 80 pts next year although that is still well off of an actual steal like Pastrnak. He should be writing the Leafs a cheque back for the season he just gave them. then maybe 65pts would be a bargain return for his price (except in Buffalo:) . Willie was only overpaid by a few hundred k, and of course the fact he was made whole for the games he didn't play, but he did establish that the club will let players set new compensation thresholds in spite of getting the best front loading and bonus structure in the history of the game. He absolutely punked Dubas because KD had buck fever for a Cup run and mistakenly thought Willie could be a significant part. If Willie sat the season out does anyone think the club would have been less successful? Does anyone think that telling Nylander to pound sand would have make the Matthews negotiation worse? He needed to win that first negotiation and instead he got rag dolled.

Trouba is so enticing but the idea of trading for him and then having to pay massive UFA money to keep him is a deal breaker. He only has real value if they can confirm an extension as part of the trade but I would much rather overpay for a top pairing D then a winger. I don't expect the club would actually replace Kadri with Willie, that was more for the people that were suggesting such a shift would work, because AM and JT should probably be playing 42:00 per game to maximize their talent so the ideal #3 is not much more than a 10:00 per night guy.

Depending on the deal I would keep Kapi and AJ over Willie. You need some bargain contracts to offset the $10M ones, of which the Leafs will soon have three. To have those two for a couple of seasons at under $5M give important cap flexibility and their current trade value isn't going to get a massive return. I don't see Pesce for Kappy one for one. Willie has higher one for one value and the WHC pumped his value up again. Willie for $6.5, MM for $7.5 and AM for $10.5 would not have been picking these guy's pockets last summer and would have given them a core they could keep, but clearly earning is more important to winning.

A Zaits deal is almost mandatory, because you don't want that malcontent **** in your locker room, but I agree that if the deal isn't there, why get bent over? If he doesn't report he doesn't get paid, and if he frustrates the contract, he also doesn't get paid. The cap space they really need can come from Marleau.

If he isn

for

I think you are really under-valuing Kapanen and Johnsson. I am seeing $7 for the 2 on bridge deals. You seem to really have a hate on for Nylander and Dubas so I will take your reply in stride.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think you are really under-valuing Kapanen and Johnsson. I am seeing $7 for the 2 on bridge deals. You seem to really have a hate on for Nylander and Dubas so I will take your reply in stride.

Are you saying they will bridge for $7M for the pair or apiece? If you are getting both for the same as Willie's sum then that is a substantial cap savings and is a high number compared to others, at least prior to this year. I think the rumored offers were under $3M so the two for around 3x3 is a nice savings on the cap. The Pesce for Willie thing as discussed before Willie came back was not with a big add on the Carolina side so unless Kappy is closer to Willie in value than has ever been suggested there would need to be a substantial add to Kappy to make it happen. Again, all second hand info but as far as I know it has only been fans suggesting Kappy for Pesce is a potential one for one.

No hate for Willie, just the way the deal went down and the weak game he brought after he returned. No hate for KD, just the one deal which has a chain reaction effect on the next two deals. All is forgiven with a good season next year.

Always take replies in stride, its just a message board :)

Reactions: PemIceKing

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Who knows what the plus would be. What you read on here is from fans, not "the Jets".

Right now the jets are playing a dangerous game. The longer they hold him the less valuable he is. I think at the draft they could get a futures package or a decent hockey trade. If they wait till the season his value plummet as he is perceived as a pain in the ass.

If the jets are interested in kadri for Trouba at the draft and we can talk to Trouba before hand that's a trade I'd do. No ++ as kadri is a need for them and is fair. If they can get a better deal then good for them.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Right now the jets are playing a dangerous game. The longer they hold him the less valuable he is. I think at the draft they could get a futures package or a decent hockey trade. If they wait till the season his value plummet as he is perceived as a pain in the ass.

If the jets are interested in kadri for Trouba at the draft and we can talk to Trouba before hand that's a trade I'd do. No ++ as kadri is a need for them and is fair. If they can get a better deal then good for them.

Problem right now is Arne is holding up everything. I think they get him signed but who knows if daddy is driving the bus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad