Rumor: Leafs significantly expanding their analytics department

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That's greatish... just more stats for Leafs Nations to debate among ourselves.

Can they just keep things simple.
Can the player skate?
Can the player skate with the puck?
Can the player hit?
Does the player finish his checks?

Reactions: Duffman955

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Dubas said they have 6 full time and 1 part time working in their R&D department. Couldn't hurt to get more people in there.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
On the non roster side, they, the Rangers and Montreal have the most money in the league to do this stuff

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm sure there are advance stats warranting such a investment in graphs and pie charts, personally having more/better scout is a sounder investment, but I have no analytics to support my position. :sarcasm:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
On the non roster side, they, the Rangers and Montreal have the most money in the league to do this stuff
When you consider non-hockey revenue there is Leafs and then Habs and Rangers are not even remotely close. This is why leafs can spend ten of millions on extra stuff that no other team can do.

Reactions: DanM

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is actually hilarious. More is less. Just get a competent person who has a clear vision an effective approach.

This team will be lost in no time, 50 voices, 50 opinions. It's going to be HFBoards inside MLSE lol

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
That's it... im signing up for a big data course... best chance I have to gt hired by MLSE

Pretty exciting stuff. I think the first team to get a significant advantage from this tracking data could get a serious edge on the rest of the league.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
or you could just spend that $50 million on Yzerman and skip the analytics dept.

just saying.

Unfortunately Yzerman can and likely will say no, seeing as he seems fairly comfortable and likely wants to stay in Detroit area.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How do they define “analytics department”?
Does it include sports science and training?
Either way, if it uncovers something beneficial, have at it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You sound very old school. Data is power.

6 people aren't enough? It's becoming another inefficient bloated organization that has too many people at the wheel. When you have that many voices in a room, they just argue and debate until good ideas are compromised into shells of good ideas.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm expecting a majority of that spending to be getting people to manually collect stats from junior and overseas leagues. Make it easier to put together a list of under the radar players with higher ceilings than they appear to have because of poor usage and then send scouts to confirm in person.

Hopefully this helps land home run swings in the back half of the draft and role player FA signings.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’m all for expanding the analytics department but it’ll really take $50 million? What are they buying? Specialized equipment to track certain things? Had to be.

Maybe they can create the first AI team management system and then they can fire the lot of them and rely on said AI and finally lower ticket prices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad