Confirmed with Link: Leafs signed Dennis Hildeby to a 3 year entry-level contract

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
the-aviator-howard-hughes.gif

giphy (42).gif

It's about time we win on one of these late round goalie picks, this is the kid, this is the time, he is our future.

All hail future conn smythe winning goaltender Mr. Dennis Hildeby.

You can run, but you can't hilde.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Hopefully for once we can hit a home run and this kid turns out to be a very good starter.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Murray 28
Kallgren 26
McKay 25
Woll 24
Petruzelli 23
Hildeby 21

Obviously all eyes on the 2 new kids this year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's contracted with Färjestad until the end of 2023/24.
Since under contract in SHL for 2 more years, he will be available to the Leafs in 2024-25 season.

I wonder if Färjestad will let him go early or if he can come to NA once their SHL season ends each year.

Leafs know about contracts a lot more than we do but his ELC also takes a contract spot, so the timing is a little weird.

You can buy out SHL contracts so my best guess is that the Leafs want to bring him in at the end of his SHL season. He'll buy out the remaining term on it and move to the Leafs/Marlies, assuming of course that he does as well as expected.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Murray 28
Kallgren 26
McKay 25
Woll 24
Petruzelli 23
Hildeby 21

Obviously all eyes on the 2 new kids this year.

So the backup, slotting in between Murray and Kallgren should be 27 years old??? I mean, that's Eric Comrie!!

Reactions: aingefan

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Leafs know about contracts a lot more than we do but his ELC also takes a contract spot, so the timing is a little weird.

You can buy out SHL contracts so my best guess is that the Leafs want to bring him in at the end of his SHL season. He'll buy out the remaining term on it and move to the Leafs/Marlies, assuming of course that he does as well as expected.
It also means if they're unhappy with how Färjestad is treating him they can bring him over, ala Nylander. I'm shocked with how underwhelming this goalie draft was how much I like this pick today.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I'm not sure his contract counts among the 50 while in Europe and under contract. As long as he remains in Europe I believe his ELC contract falls under the slide rule and simply bumps forward to next year..

His SHL contract like some have out clauses built in that include if you make an NHL team you can get out of your Euro contract, however if attended Leafs camp and made the Leafs then he would count officially among the 50 contracts. If he doesn't make the Leafs he must be returned to his SHL team and can't be sent to AHL, but then I think he goes on the Leafs Reserve List as 1 of 90 list.

There must be something in his current SHL contract with "out" possibilities otherwise there is little value signing him today if he isn't truly available until 2024-25 season at best.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It also means if they're unhappy with how Färjestad is treating him they can bring him over, ala Nylander. I'm shocked with how underwhelming this goalie draft was how much I like this pick today.
He was truly an under the radar pick. But what little I have heard points to an athletic big man who made huge strides in puck tracking and positioning.

That sounds like a combination the Leafs can get to work on, and work with.

I think the contract shows that they think he can be on the fast track.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Probably a degree of urgency on dot the i’s, cross the t’s on the goalie front.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He was truly an under the radar pick. But what little I have heard points to an athletic big man who made huge strides in puck tracking and positioning.

That sounds like a combination the Leafs can get to work on, and work with.

I think the contract shows that they think he can be on the fast track.
Yeah, and especially looking at the numbers of the other goalies in the organization just shows how good he was in both J20 and the SHL.

The way I see it too is if he was taken in the 4th in 2019 would you be happy with his progress? Let's not forget he's 2 months older than Ahktyamov and just came off a much, much better season.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
At this point in time, who really cares about this signing? It's not like he can come over and save our Leafs from trading for washed up goaltenders!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, and especially looking at the numbers of the other goalies in the organization just shows how good he was in both J20 and the SHL.

The way I see it too is if he was taken in the 4th in 2019 would you be happy with his progress? Let's not forget he's 2 months older than Ahktyamov and just came off a much, much better season.
I'd be thrilled.

As a coach buddy of mine has often said, the one thing you cannot teach a goalie is size.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The timing really does not make sense. We are going to get really tight on contracts if this keeps up.

We will already have Hirvonen, Niemela, Amirov, and likely Ovchinnikov not even in North America next year. Now add Hildeby.

We wasted a spot on Rindell too, and we are still TBD on Gogolev and Ellis working out, but at least they should factor into the Marlies' plans next year.

We are at 42 contracts and the Marlies still need 4 major contributors who should not be AHL-contract caliber and the Leafs still need 3 spots filled too (moving Holl and Kerfoot would be a wash since we would have to replace them). That is 49 contracts so you are not getting much flexibility here. I still think Simmonds gets moved so that helps a little bit, and perhaps we will see some Marlies get moved in trades at some point (and some of them, like Gogolev, can probably be replaced with an AHL contract).

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
At first he wasn’t even considered for the seniorteam last season but was brought up eventually and then impressed so much that he got a permanent spot. Incredible athleticism for a guy off that size. Wouldn’t be surprised if he outconquers Tomkins next season.

Overall a great person too. You should be thrilled.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad