Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Roni Hirvonen and Topi Niemelä to ELCs

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Scientific and medical advances played as much a role as a need to make neat categories, which had more to do with gambling than it does human psychology.

Which demonstrates what? Idiots do idiotic things. That’s not really an argument.

Professional combat athletes deliberately cut weight to fight in lower weight classes. Cutting weight makes them weaker for the fight, but they do it anyway. Why? They do that because fighting smaller people is easier.

Could have been, but was less likely due to physical factors.

The exact same hit on a heavier player doesn’t move him as forcefully. The exact same hit on a taller player changes the impact point to a less dangerous one.

He definitely put himself in a bad spot and that was part of the problem. The other problem was size.

Anything is possible. If he was bigger, it could have been worse, but it was more likely to be less severe.

That’s a saying describing the loss of wealth and power, not size.

Larger people do land harder than small people, which is more than balanced out by them being harder to knock over.

Strength comes from two places - size and technique. Girard had neither strength, nor technique. That’s why he got blown up.
First I apologise that I don't know how to break up your quote to make my reply as organized as yours.

It wasn't scientific and medical advances. Regulations came based on money gathering due to the formation of governing bodies, not gambling. Age old arts like karate only adopted weight classes to gain Olympic entry as a sport in order to spread the art globally.

It demonstrates that weight isn't a deciding factor as many smaller guys beat bigger guys all the time. Fighting, like sports, are actually skill based. 2 things make a good fighter: timing and spacing. Hmmm also good for hockey players.

Pro fighters don't cut weight and become weaker, they lose water and fat, not muscle. In this example you are partially correct, but it confirms mine that strength trumps size. As the bigger guy cuts down he still has more muscle mass than the "smaller" opponent, thus giving the advantage. So I do conceded that the person with greater muscle mass or weight has the advantage of the person with less muscle mass or weight,but again this is not because of size but rather mass.

Your next 4 replies I agree with because they are all could haves and that's what I've been saying, sure size could have been the reason but also it could have played no part. Likely it's a combination of factors and from that clip Imo size was the least likely factor.

That saying has nothing to do with money. It comes from the boxing world
"This expression is believed to come from boxing and gained currency when boxer Robert Fitzsimmons used it in a 1902 newspaper interview before fighting the much heavier James J. Jeffries. It was probably derived from similar adages, such as "The bigger the tree, the harder she falls."

Technique and strength are separate things. Strength comes from muscle mass and the type of strength comes from the muscle twich you develop most or are predominantly gifted with at birth.
Strength and technique are similar in that they can both be developed and people have varying degrees of natural gifts in either.
When one combines strength and technique it becomes an art, sports, martial whatever.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
LOL so you assume something and state it as a fact.

Why not just say that in the first place?
I assumed nothing and claimed nothing as fact. Do I have to preface everything with “in my opinion” for you to be able to navigate a fan site.
However if you want to play this game I’m in.
Dubas has picked big players, medium players and small players so YA I’m pretty sure size doesn’t matter to him

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I assumed nothing and claimed nothing as fact. Do I have to preface everything with “in my opinion” for you to be able to navigate a fan site.
Dubas has picked big players, medium players and small players so YA I’m pretty sure size doesn’t matter to him

'Dubas has picked big players, medium players and small players so YA I’m pretty sure size doesn’t matter to him'

That's fair

Reactions: Racer88

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
This reminds me when I asked my 3 year old nephew what size fries he wants and he's like extra medium. Until Dubas dips into this extra medium size I don't want to hear about his drafting.

Felix the Cat Potvin

Jun 18, 2022
Amen Bro, you're preaching to the Choir.

You hit the nail right on the head, because the feeder system not only is suppose to supply NHL talent, its ideally suppose to fill holes, provide niche roles and responsibilities and add something missing to the overall group to make it stronger and overall better and balanced to play the game any style that is needed to win, thus building an effective supporting cast around your core.

When you continue to draft and add similar types and size prospects there is only going to limited room on the parent team, in specific need roles and none of that addressed big, physical, defensive, intimidating etc and the other attributes that would enhance the core group. That is why you run out and sign Wayne Simmonds, Kyle Clifford, Nick Ritchie types which attempt to fill those roles and essentially create even less need on the parent roster other then a skilled player replacement player due to injury out of need,

PS, That is why there is so much expectation and hope and pressure being placed on Matty Knies, because he is the unicorn of the prospect pool and the one player that has the size, strength, willingness and physical ability to come in an add to the group and not need sheltering himself and allow the team to play bigger and create time and space for his teammates. All these smaller skilled players are only going to cannibalize themselves via limited need, that only allow a select few through, and forcing the others to fail in the process.
I've said it before but since we're compared so much to Washington in terms of a skilled team that eventually broke through, they were drafting forwards with size and/or speed like Vrana, Burakovsky and Wilson while they were failing in the playoffs. They were all important when the Caps finally broke through. Our drafting seems to be the opposite strategy, which is worrying if we really want to compare ourselves to the Caps.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I've said it before but since we're compared so much to Washington in terms of a skilled team that eventually broke through, they were drafting forwards with size and/or speed like Vrana, Burakovsky and Wilson while they were failing in the playoffs. They were all important when the Caps finally broke through. Our drafting seems to be the opposite strategy, which is worrying if we really want to compare ourselves to the Caps.

So our last two players picked, with our first picks in the drafts were 6'3" and 6'1", along with a 6'2" Russian, as well as signing as a free agent, a 6'8" C.... Small guys for sure.

Reactions: stickty111

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Our farm system is mainly undersized players that look to be anything (higher end with the exception of Knies). Look nobody would say no to a Marchand type player but you can’t have a team littered with them. Furthermore you can’t have undersized players on D, especially in the playoffs.

I get the argument that Makar is not a big kid but he is probably the best D man in the NHL and his skill trumps any size he may be giving up.

Look I know all of us play the armchair GM role each and every draft and we have this argument year after year but when you look at some of the kids we passed up with some size and grit it gets annoying. We traded Marchment for a Smurf who was gone what a year? What did Marchment do last year? We need size a grit on our forward lines and D.

Have higher hopes on Neimela, Hirvonen who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad