Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign RHD John Klingberg (1 year, $4.15M) | UPD 11/23: LTIR

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’m surprised there isn’t a main board thread yet filled with the usual no-lifer trolls clamoring that we’re getting ready to circumvent the cap with Klingberg’s injury.
This sounds like a back/hip/knee issue as it pertains to limiting his mobility.

Those trolls may actually be onto something if it was say, Klingberg being allergic to his equipment despite playing in it for his entire career

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Reaves isn't injured.

Not sure where you're seeing this Nylander criticism but it's not on this board.
It's pretty much a universal love fest.

To be fair the love fest for Nylander is recent (last 18 months-ish), the Marner vs Nylander comparisons and the Ehlers vs Nylander comparisons in recent years were frequent, he was generally considered the 2nd best of the people he was compared to. The criticism was generally about what fans perceived about his lack of "give a shit" / effort without the puck. For the most part we are a what have you done for me lately fan base and when you are leading Connor McJesus in scoring a quarter of the way through the year, the criticisms would be few and far between. He will come back to earth sometime this year and the Nylander does not care criticisms will ramp up.

Reactions: arso40

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I have no idea why other fan bases can't stay classy like Leaf fans who didn't say a peep when Kuch paid a visit to the island then was miraculously healed in time for the playoffs .
Should have been a cartoon of robidas massaging kucherov healing him

Then robidas saying my turn while kuch is already half way to the chopper 'sorry gotta go'

• Haha
Reactions: hotpaws

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Lots of people glossing over this point, I guess on the hope that Timmins provides offense from the blueline.

They sent down a couple players and opened up almost 1.6 million in cap space. This suggests that Timmins must be ready to play. So we will find out soon enough.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
This sounds like a back/hip/knee issue as it pertains to limiting his mobility.

Those trolls may actually be onto something if it was say, Klingberg being allergic to his equipment despite playing in it for his entire career
Just because I see this one pointed to as the "obvious cap circumvention example."

Hossa's allergy was no joke. Look into it, the guy was literally covered in open wounds from his body freaking out whenever he put on his gear and was in immense pain at the end of his career. I know ot seemed absurd but if you actually look into it's crazy he played as long as he did.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Unless the guy has to have a season-ending surgery, putting him on LTIR only benefits the team if they believe that he is going to be out for the entire season. There is still 5 months left in the season. If he goes on LTIR for a couple of months, Toronto wouldn't be able to do much with the salary relief.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Unless the guy has to have a season-ending surgery, putting him on LTIR only benefits the team if they believe that he is going to be out for the entire season. There is still 5 months left in the season. If he goes on LTIR for a couple of months, Toronto wouldn't be able to do much with the salary relief.
Some is better than none. Who knows how the rest of the year goes and who may be out for a period of time.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Lots of people glossing over this point, I guess on the hope that Timmins provides offense from the blueline.
Don't care if dman can play offense. Let Marner, AM etc break out of zone rather than covering up for bad D.
Just need stay home d, winning puck battles, strong on feet and can get outlet pass made.
You know that Kling, Timmons, Brodie, will lose 8 of 10 puck battles in our end. Need R-L balance.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's now on LTIR.

1700769820127.png

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any context around the statement? Was it said as a throw away comment or opinion or was there some sense he has inside info?

His type of injury is extremely hard to overcome. It's 6-8 months of rehab if they opt for surgery, which looks to be heading that way for Klingberg, and most players just never recover. He's already a bubble player, so Johnson likely made an educated guess.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I’m sure that’s going to haunt him for many years to come. That was a lot of money to pass on.

There are a lot of players that chose to bet on themselves and there isn't always a happy ending.

Klingberg

LaBanc chose to help the team in San Jose and signed for 1M the summer that Marner, Rantanen, Tkachuk etc all signed. He likely could have commaneded 5x5 at minimum but now looks like he's barely NHL caliber.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last seasons Leafs Dcore ranked 28th in goals last year among the lowest scoring in the league, and the hope was the defensively challenged but offensively gifted Klingberg would be an offensive element the defense so badly needed.

Now likely done for the season hopefully his LTIR injury relief can allow BT to address this, with his replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad