Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nicolas Mattinen to a 1 year 2-way contract for 2024-2025

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Tre just launching his coffee mug at a wall after finding out we didn't retain a 6'6 Dman...

Nielsen, Desrocher, Middleton, Greenway, Rasanen, and Gordeev incoming!

(Hell, seems Mattinen has kept at it despite the disappointment of not earning an ELC and 46 points in 52 games and MVP in the DEL is nothing to sneeze at. Good for him.)

(Not as big at 6'2, but seems Kral is doing decently in Liiga after being let go: 37 points in 46 games. f*** it, let's bring him in too!!)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
One of the fridges we selected during the Hunter years

I haven't seen the guy for years so I'm not commenting on it being a good or bad signing but I have a lot of time for guys who keep trying when it looks like they have no chance and have a modicum of success

Good on the guy for having a dream and continuing to fight for it

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like that we drafted him and we are getting some years of service out of him.

I like that he is 6'6, 225lbs.

He was voted the best player in the DEL last season which has thrown him onto team's radar.

Maybe he has a champion from the scouting staff who went to bat for him for round 2?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Someone tell me how to feel
Depth that likely plays in the Minors.

He is a story you want to cheer for though. Decent in the O, then went on to U-sports before finally putting in some solid years as a pro. One of those cool stories of a player making his own route to get to this point.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
1713146442960.png

Treliving right now:

Tre time.gif

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A player on a two-way contract isn't going to offer much in the way of risk. He also comes with some experience (26 years old) and will be on an expiring ticket at the end of the season. Would be something if we have a late bloomer on our hands here.

Reactions: Da Mash

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Tre has earned my trust when it comes to big Dmen until proven otherwise

Reactions: Al14

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Tre just launching his coffee mug at a wall after finding out we didn't retain a 6'6 Dman...

We hear a lot of criticism about the "refrigerators" - and most of it is warranted - but, it wasn't as bad as we sometimes make it out to be.

Mattinen, Gordeev and Middleton are looking like AHLers with maybe Mattinen stepping up.

Desrocher, if I'm not mistaken, quit hockey shortly after getting drafted.

Rasanen and Greenway both had mental health issues that derailed their careers.

Nielsen was looking good, but his skating just never improved - even with some of the best skating coaches.

Overall, not good, but some bad luck in there too.

I think Hunter probably failed mostly on the personality part of drafting as opposed to just talent alone.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not sure what he’s done to earn a two-way deal.. an AHL contract, sure.

Seems like just an odd move. But it’s at league minimum, so whatever

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Not sure what he’s done to earn a two-way deal.. an AHL contract, sure.

Seems like just an odd move. But it’s at league minimum, so whatever

I think it's a sign that there were more than one team bidding for his services.

That was the line that had to be crossed to seal the deal.

Reactions: Finger Licking Good

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

(Hell, seems Mattinen has kept at it despite the disappointment of not earning an ELC and 46 points in 52 games and MVP in the DEL is nothing to sneeze at. Good for him.)

(Not as big at 6'2, but seems Kral is doing decently in Liiga after being let go: 37 points in 46 games. f*** it, let's bring him in too!!)
I liked Kral’s game. Surprised he never got much of a sniff. They always say that D men take longer to develop. It’s nice we have first crack at him. Suspect he will work extremely hard this offseason and be a great Vet in the room for next year.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad