Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jordie Benn

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So...people are placing him on the Marlies based on the depth at LD and his min. salary? He did play for MIN last season. Is it possible that he's now our *New* 6th defenseman?

The Maple Leafs have signed Jordie Benn to a one-year deal worth $750K.​

After one year in Minnesota, Benn signs with the Maple Leafs where he'll likely be deep on the depth chart. Benn filled a similar role with the Wild, only appearing in 39 games, scoring one goal with seven assists.

Source: Elliotte Friedman 07/14/22, 8:01 pm EST

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So...people are placing him on the Marlies based on the depth at LD and his min. salary? He did play for MIN last season. Is it possible that he's now our *New* 6th defenseman?

It's interesting that Benn was the #7D on Minny's vaunted dcorps yet leafs fans freaked out about our crappy D and team when we signed him to be our #8 or 9 D.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Mete and Benn...the latest Toronto waiver wire pickups for other teams.
I suspect that other teams will be trying out their young defenders in the preseason then scramble to find stopgaps and snap these players off waivers just before the season. It'll be gravy if either one makes it through waivers.

Also one of them could be leverage/insurance against a potentially unsigned Sandin.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I suspect that other teams will be trying out their young defenders in the preseason then scramble to find stopgaps and snap these players off waivers just before the season. It'll be gravy if either one makes it through waivers.

Also one of them could be leverage/insurance against a potentially unsigned Sandin.
I think the later part is a possible reason for the signings if nothing more then leverage by the organization in the Sandin contract talks.

Left Defense has 3 starters Rielly, Muzzin and Giordano
#7th D Rasmus Sandin
#8/9 - Benn and Mete

If Sandin remains unsigned once the season starts one of Benn or Mete will be held as the #7 dman on the Leafs.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Sounds like a late September/early October problem.
I don't see it as the first thing on Dubas' agenda, but why can't we conclude that this signing makes the most budget/cap friendly sense for the Leafs.

Can he come in and play the number 6 role on any NHL team? Yes. He's not ideal, but he can play.

Does it make sense to play a League Minimum player in the number 6 role? On TOR it does. Does it make sense to have Holl playing there at 2 million? No it doesn't.

As someone said earlier in this thread: Benn hasn't played in the AHL in 10 years. He's an NHLer.

Rielly Brodie
Gio Liljegren
Muzzin Benn
Sandin
Mete

Reactions: ACC1224

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
It's interesting that Benn was the #7D on Minny's vaunted dcorps yet leafs fans freaked out about our crappy D and team when we signed him to be our #8 or 9 D.

To be fair, he's going to be the #7D once Holl is traded.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Ugh this is getting sad.. mete or benn potentially playing more games for the leafs than sandin this year.. sigh

Were there any reports anytime during the season that sandin and dubas were negotiating

Reactions: Buds17

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Ugh this is getting sad.. mete or benn potentially playing more games for the leafs than sandin this year.. sigh

Were there any reports anytime during the season that sandin and dubas were negotiating

I wouldn't worry too much about Sandin yet, lots of time still.

I think Mete is #8 and Benn is #9 on this team, not sure either will see much playing time, although I want Sandin dealt cause I think he is the odd man out for a couple of years and don't think he has a ceiling as high as Liljegren just due to his skating. Not to mention we are well positioned on the left side.

Sandin for a similar-level prospect on forward would be ideal.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I wouldn't worry too much about Sandin yet, lots of time still.

I think Mete is #8 and Benn is #9 on this team, not sure either will see much playing time, although I want Sandin dealt cause I think he is the odd man out for a couple of years and don't think he has a ceiling as high as Liljegren just due to his skating. Not to mention we are well positioned on the left side.

Sandin for a similar-level prospect on forward would be ideal.
Yeah fair.. im not losing sleep over it but still .. unfortunate this is the discussion

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

The downside might be that Nylander signed his contract during the season (same agent); the upside should be in Sandin not signing a contract anywhere close to that in both AAV and term. I'd be quite surprised if either of Mete or Benn played in more games than Sandin for the team this coming season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There is no doubt the Leafs could use more grit, especially upfront. Benn,Clifford and Simmonds give you some respect but can you use them in the playoffs? Is Knies part of the solution?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There is no doubt the Leafs could use more grit, especially upfront. Benn,Clifford and Simmonds give you some respect but can you use them in the playoffs? Is Knies part of the solution?

I would say no.

Their physicality is practically useless. They struggle to even line guys up so the only time they are really "physical" is when they fight the other team's brute; and most teams don't even have one.

The rest of the time, they are chasing the play and getting outplayed.

All three should be on the AHL, where they may still be good enough players to be useless. In terms of NHL effectiveness, the Leafs have a bunch of guys ahead of them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Another trash signing by the trash GM

I don't really see how this pushes the needle towards winning. Nothing he does gets us closer and really it all just feels like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. I say that not to be negative but because we hit the iceberg, we have 2 seasons with Matthews etc. Then, cap super hell comes into play and we don't have a legit #1 tender yet.

I don't know. It seems insane to me.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think Benn should get sprinkled into the lineup.

Spell Sandin who hasn't looked great, and save Gio from having to play back to backs.
We need Gio in the playoffs to be fresh.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
I think Benn should get sprinkled into the lineup.

Spell Sandin who hasn't looked great, and save Gio from having to play back to backs.
We need Gio in the playoffs to be fresh.
I agree

He should get some time in the lineup. A bruising d man who would fill Muzzin's role (not as well). Holl isn't getting scratched anytime soon but like you said, Sandin can take a seat due to his recent play.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't want to come down on Sandin too much. He's been asked to play the right side, and he's just not great there. I am certain he'll be better playing the left side. The moment that one of our main guys gets injured he'll be there. In the meantime (I know it's early), but I think Benn could see more time as the team's #6 D.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I don't really see how this pushes the needle towards winning. Nothing he does gets us closer and really it all just feels like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. I say that not to be negative but because we hit the iceberg, we have 2 seasons with Matthews etc. Then, cap super hell comes into play and we don't have a legit #1 tender yet.

I don't know. It seems insane to me.
How long do you think it took for the titanic to sink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad