Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Max Domi (1 year, $3M)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Domi reminds me of Kuznetsov. He scores few goals, but is a very useful player nonetheless. Controls the flow of the game, skates with the puck, and makes passes. I don't think the Leafs need to trade for a third-line center. They certainly need a good top-6 power forward, plus a good passer and a thug on the blueline.
Not sure if you're counting Knies as one of these yet but if not, you probably should.

A top 4 Dman is the biggest need IMO, if he was a thug that would be ideal. Good luck finding one of those though.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Not sure if you're counting Knies as one of these yet but if not, you probably should.

A top 4 Dman is the biggest need IMO, if he was a thug that would be ideal. Good luck finding one of those though.
I agree. The forward group is set imo. I think the leafs are a lot more tough with Bertuzzi, Knies and Domi. We might not have a Tom Wilson type but most teams don’t.

Tanev or a top pair D and this team is set.

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Domi and Gregor are two guys I hope we sign to a two year extension. Gregor is a 20 goal scorer easily on this team. Domi is such a breath of fresh air. You can tell he loves being a leaf so much. He forechecks hard and is a great skater. He will have the odd turn over here and there but he’s all heart and soul
I’d consider signing domi Gregor not soo much unless he’s giving you a sweet deal 3*3 even then I probably wouldn’t

Reactions: Bellzy

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Knies is just a rookie. He had one good game, and that's it. You can't put him in the top six in the playoffs. Florida will eat him like they did last time. He has good chemistry with Domi and there he belongs. We need an experienced, proven guy. Like Hyman. He was on pace for 30 goals in each of his two last seasons with the Leafs. That's the number we need from a power forward playing with Matthews, not Knies 15 goals.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Knies is just a rookie. He had one good game, and that's it. You can't put him in the top six in the playoffs. Florida will eat him like they did last time. He has good chemistry with Domi and there he belongs. We need an experienced, proven guy. Like Hyman. He was on pace for 30 goals in each of his two last seasons with the Leafs. That's the number we need from a power forward playing with Matthews, not Knies 15 goals.
Knies had a lot more than one good game in the last playoffs, IIRC he played a fair bit in the top 6. He also didn't play much against Florida considering he got injured in game 2. If he played great in the last playoffs with almost no NHL experience at all, how sure are you that he's not capable of playing in the top 6 a year later? I'm not saying pencil him in as a top 6 power forward, but there's no reason to say that there's no way he can be that guy by the time the spring rolls around. That's the way I see it anyway, no reason to sell him short, this kid is a fast learner!

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
This guy is ssssoooo much more dynamic than a Kerfoot.
lol I totally forgot about that guy but then how can That be when he was the epitome of all things average and ultimately disappointing about the non core players on the leafs.

seriously though Domi has become my favourite leaf this season. You could see he was a good player despite his lack of stats early on. good For him that the numbers are starting to back up his play. He deserves the accolades.

heart and soul guy is spot on.

Knies is just a rookie. He had one good game, and that's it.
that’s an insane take.
did you only watch the last 3 games?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He's quickly becoming a heart and soul guy on the team. He's a great teammate too, you can just tell in his interviews, more comfortable and part of the mix.

This guy is ssssoooo much more dynamic than a Kerfoot.

I found it so silly to shit on the guy, and Bert too for that matter, at the beginning of the season. There are a ton of alpha dogs on this team, just let these known quantities settle in, find their role and voice, THEN judge. We're seeing now why October is irrelevant. Domi is a great add.

I've always thought it was a great idea to make hard-line judgments on players' worth after about 10-15 games of the regular season... :laugh:

I think we're looking at the bigger picture with our FWD signings and it's that their value will show both in the regular season and in the big dance...

The big dance is where our players have historically withered and shied away from, but a player with Domi on the back of his sweater probably won't....

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Knies had a lot more than one good game in the last playoffs, IIRC he played a fair bit in the top 6. He also didn't play much against Florida considering he got injured in game 2. If he played great in the last playoffs with almost no NHL experience at all, how sure are you that he's not capable of playing in the top 6 a year later? I'm not saying pencil him in as a top 6 power forward, but there's no reason to say that there's no way he can be that guy by the time the spring rolls around. That's the way I see it anyway, no reason to sell him short, this kid is a fast learner!
Of course, he didn't play much against Florida. They injured him pretty quickly. You can't rely on rookies. The Leafs need a seasoned vet to play with Matthews and Nylander in the playoffs. And Knies as a plan B on the third line. He may or may not pan out. Serious organizations don't gamble.

that’s an insane take.
did you only watch the last 3 games?
3 games is a huge sample size.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Of course, he didn't play much against Florida. They injured him pretty quickly. You can't rely on rookies. The Leafs need a seasoned vet to play with Matthews and Nylander in the playoffs. And Knies as a plan B on the third line. He may or may not pan out. Serious organizations don't gamble.
Lots of rookies have shined in the playoffs and every team gambles all the time, in a sense, every decision is a gamble. Knies has shown so much in so little time, a few months from now, who knows what he could be? You yourself might think that he's one of our best forwards.

No reason to write the kid off months before any decisions need to be made. Plenty of reason to be optimistic here.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Lots of rookies have shined in the playoffs and every team gambles all the time, in a sense, every decision is a gamble. Knies has shown so much in so little time, a few months from now, who knows what he could be? You yourself might think that he's one of our best forwards.
The Leafs have already tried this forward combination. And got destroyed by Florida. No Knies development can compensate this gap. They need a much tougher forward group. Matthews and Nylander are both mentally weak, and you want to add a rookie to them? They need a gritty vet to stabilize that line.
One of my favorite playoff finals of all time is 1997 Philly vs Detroit. Philly bet on rookie Zubrus, put him with Lindros... I still remember the Detroit goal that broke Philadelphia in the game 3. It wasn't scored by Shanny or Fedorov, but by veteran enforcer Kocur. You need veterans in the playoffs. Period.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Leafs have already tried this forward combination. And got destroyed by Florida. No Knies development can compensate this gap. They need a much tougher forward group. Matthews and Nylander are both mentally weak, and you want to add a rookie to them? They need a gritty vet to stabilize that line.
One of my favorite playoff finals of all time is 1997 Philly vs Detroit. Philly bet on rookie Zubrus, put him with Lindros... I still remember the Detroit goal that broke Philadelphia in the game 3. It wasn't scored by Shanny or Fedorov, but by veteran enforcer Kocur. You need veterans in the playoffs. Period.
You had to go back almost 30 years to find an enforcer who scored a big goal in the playoffs?

Scary how often that happens.

Reactions: bax

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
You had to go back almost 30 years to find an enforcer who scored a big goal in the playoffs?
No. Thing is, Knies reminds me of Zubrus and there are other similarities between 97 Philadelphia and the current Leafs. Two patchwork teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Knies doesn't have to play with Matthews and Nylander in order to play in the top 6.

I doubt that keeping Knies out of the top 6 is the key to beating Florida.

Knies playing in the top 6 doesn't mean we can't have veterans play for us as well.

Reactions: Racer88

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Knies doesn't have to play with Matthews and Nylander in order to play in the top 6.

I doubt that keeping Knies out of the top 6 is the key to beating Florida.

Knies playing in the top 6 doesn't mean we can't have veterans play for us as well.
The only way for Knies to play in the top six is to move Bertuzzi to the first line. Which is doubtful.To hold against thug waves, it should be:

Gritty xxx - AM - Nylander
Bert - Tavares - Gregor
Knies - Domi - Marner

This way, there will be three balanced scoring lines. Gregor is not ideal on the second, but realistically, I doubt they could trade for two top six forwards with grit. The Leafs are going to face two of the toughest teams in Boston and Florida. I understand that everybody is still celebrating a table tennis victory against the clueless Dubas and Pens, but for me, it's clear that to compensate for the soft core, the Leafs have to bring a lot of grit to even have an outside chance of winning the division.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The only way for Knies to play in the top six is to move Bertuzzi to the first line. Which is doubtful.To hold against thug waves, it should be:

Bert - Tavares - Gregor
Knies - Domi - Marner

This way, there will be three balanced scoring lines. Gregor is not ideal on the second, but realistically, I doubt they could trade for two top six forwards with grit. The Leafs are going to face two of the toughest teams in Boston and Florida. I understand that everybody is still celebrating a table tennis victory against the clueless Dubas and Pens, but for me, it's clear that to compensate for the soft core, the Leafs have to bring a lot of grit to even have an outside chance of winning the division.
That's fine with me, but if that mystery Gritty xxx never appears, then it could be Knies. I don't think it's too likely we are able to acquire a forward better than Knies, a top 4 Dman is our biggest need and we don't have all that much to trade (unless you're OK with completely emptying the cupboards) so it's likely we'll be rolling with the forward group we have now.

You mentioned Florida destroyed us with Knies but the other side of the coin is that everyone's been destroying us in the playoffs and the only playoff series we ever won with this core was when Knies played in the top 6.

I'm not saying playing Knies in the top 6 is necessarily the way to go, I'm just saying that the kid is really good, he's young and at that age, a few months could mean a lot of improvement and it's simply too early to say that he can't do well, even shine in a top 6 role against whoever in the spring. I'd be inclined to say he can do it myself, from what I've seen he's not only talented, but he has as much grit as anyone playing for us now.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017

Bert - Tavares - Gregor
Knies - Domi - Marner

In this scenario, your 'third' line is actually the second, which puts Knies in the top six anyway.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Bert - Tavares - Gregor
Knies - Domi - Marner

1702942393968.jpeg

I cannot believe you are putting this guy on our top line! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad