Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Auston Matthews to extension (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The contract is fine.

Was hoping we'd wait to make sure the cap is going up, but it is what it is. The new GM is banking on an increase, knowing our luck, here comes Covid 2.0.

Wanted 1 or 2 more years so we got him through his entire prime, but anyone wanting 8 years is insane.

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
That's a 8 year cap hit, but better than I expected. I was preparing for 14.5 x 3 given the trend with Dubas.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That's a 8 year cap hit, but better than I expected. I was preparing for 14.5 x 3 given the trend with Dubas.

Cap hits go up when you sign players who will be outside of their prime for longer? Lunacy.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The contract is fine.

Was hoping we'd wait to make sure the cap is going up, but it is what it is. The new GM is banking on an increase, knowing our luck, here comes Covid 2.0.

Wanted 1 or 2 more years so we got him through his entire prime, but anyone wanting 8 years is insane.
Is there a reason why we are insane for wanting our superstar player to do what literally every other superstar in the league does? I fail to see what makes that insane lol we seemingly operate on our own completely seperate contract playing field compared to the other 31 teams for some reason.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Pretty good gamble from Matthews. Get's 53 million guaranteed which brings his total career earnings to 100 m+ and then if he plays well, he could still sign another 8 year, 100 million dollar deal.

For the leafs, I don't mind this at all. He wasn't taking a discount. If it doesn't work out over the next 4 years, need to move on anyways. I just hope he's all in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad