Post-Game Talk: Leafs Show Guts in Comeback Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You are the biased one my friend. I'm a fan of Nylander when he is engaged. Run and gun is not being engaged. Being engaged is getting to the dirty spots and preventing goals and capitalizing... it's grinding.

These guys were clearly going through the motions, no one wants injury at the end of the season, but go ahead and watch again, willy missed a few major assignments skating right passed guys instead of getting dirty. There were 3 specific ones that allowed open slot chances that kallgren stopped.

There are two people here I notice, guys who hate willy and guys who love willy. You need to understand when willy is not on his game its because he is not engaged. Coaching and management have pointed it out. He is a phenomenal player when engaged but everyone needs to be real and see that he has two sides.

Just to be clear, willy gets criticism not based on his puck control it's always based on his blown defensive plays. Watch the game again.
Totally agreed .. we are gonna need Wily folks .. Matty alone will not be enough .. those 2 have da complete skill packages .. no one else on team is a 5 tool player (wrong sport but same idea) .. when Willy decides to bring it he can .. and he has done it before in playoffs .. but outside of 2 games where I told him to start to try he is MIA again .. i don't care right now as we don't need him but we will against Tampa.. trust me

Reactions: horner

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I found the OT penalty hilarious.

Wtf were Marner and Nylander thinking :laugh: That had 0% odds of not being called a penalty.

8:21, Leafs don't score on their 2 on 1, Nylander is sitting on the boards ready to jump on, Marner says go go go go when he sees the 2 on 1 and Nylanders a bro, so he's all in on the plan.

If you're too lazy to watch it just take my word for it. Keefe rescuing Nylander from the box after and swapping him with Simmonds was a clear message he was okay with it. Can put the penalty to rest now.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Totally agreed .. we are gonna need Wily folks .. Matty alone will not be enough .. those 2 have da complete skill packages .. no one else on team is a 5 tool player (wrong sport but same idea) .. when Willy decides to bring it he can .. and he has done it before in playoffs .. but outside of 2 games where I told him to start to try he is MIA again .. i don't care right now as we don't need him but we will against Tampa.. trust me
Good news for us Nylander has brought it in his last 2 playoff series and looked like he was going to tear up the Bruins with Kadri before the suspension. I don't expect that to change. He's the top reason why the last series even made it to 7 games and one of the top reasons we got to see a game 5 in the play-ins.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I think the Abruzzesse experiment has run it's course. He likely was guaranteed a bunch of games as part of the signing negotiation. 15% eGF last night.

Do we think Blackwell might get a shot up next to JT? I think he would be an interesting option on L2 with JT and Mik/Willy. I've heard he plays both wings.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Just an aside because I like to lurk on other team boards, that was the national ESPN broadcast, not our local one.

This rules analyst from ESPN has had two straight broadcasts where he’s literally dismissed potential tripping call because “it was unintentional”. I don’t know if that says something about ESPN or the level of competence with NHL officiating, but every time that guy pops up he emphasizes intent as being a deciding factor which is silly.

Good game bros, good luck in the ploffs
Thanks for clarifying. I don't think anyone is allowed to comment on the competency of the refs Hahaha

Hopefully OV is good and ready for the playoffs

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Back in TO after 6 months, it’s nice to be watching a game at 7pm rather than 7am. Also nice to be chatting with some fans rather than cheering on a computer screen and having my neighbours think I’m batsh*t crazy.

Boosh’s first period deserved a medal.
Kallgren’s best?
I believe Spezza’s 500th away game point? Congrats.
Not a great game, the night before was far more entertaining, but hey a win is a win.

Reading here, I’m glad I didn’t touch the GDT :laugh::laugh: the negativity must have been overwhelming. Sometimes, a missed pass does not mean the player sucks ass.

Next up, Detroit. GLG!
Oh yes it does Mr. Man

• Haha
Reactions: meefer

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How many others were yelling GLOVE PASS on that Washington disallowed goal? Simpson was saying what a great call by Keefe... I was thinking .. if your eyes were open ... you saw it... :)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

Wtf were Marner and Nylander thinking :laugh: That had 0% odds of not being called a penalty.

8:21, Leafs don't score on their 2 on 1, Nylander is sitting on the boards ready to jump on, Marner says go go go go when he sees the 2 on 1 and Nylanders a bro, so he's all in on the plan.

If you're too lazy to watch it just take my word for it. Keefe rescuing Nylander from the box after and swapping him with Simmonds was a clear message he was okay with it. Can put the penalty to rest now.

Probably thinking "EVERY OTHER TEAM DOES IT TO US, WHY CAN'T WE DO IT?"

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

The timing is a little bit off. haha Plus, you are hoping and praying the ref is looking down the ice.

Reactions: Shooter2x

DarenX

Sep 21, 2019
I guess it's the fact you declared everyone gets a pass for last night EXCEPT Nylander that just came off really biased and as someone else said, ridiculous. I don't really see why a Nylander hate party needs to form over last nights game. There were players much worse than him.

It's fair if you have concerns otherwise about wanting more from him from a general point of view.
Listen, I don't know what else to tell you. I'm unbiased, take it for what it is.

I call willy out because not only would he top my list of the young core guys for days off, he is very noticeable when doing so. I judge based on effort and in the nhl almost everyone trys when they are attacking, everyone wants to score. Where you see the true effort or "compete" is on plays that will most likely not end up in scoring chances, those are the plays that win championships though.

There are games where people will tear willy down and I think he had one of his best games. Likewise for matthews, games where he put some points up and everyone give him praise and I think he played like shit.

Willy and others have all had passes, only difference in my view is Willy has had way more.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I have a question, may be kind of stupid but here goes. Why do we in Toronto have neutral commentators, but if you watch any other team broadcast they have commentators who are biased towards the team they work for. Why does this happen?

I think it's cute you think our commentators are neutral. Several of them hate the Leafs or at least very much dislike them and cheer for whomever plays them that night.

Reactions: sylejman

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

As he should be. Chances are higher the two on one scores than they score on the PP.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think it's cute you think our commentators are neutral. Several of them hate the Leafs or at least very much dislike them and cheer for whomever plays them that night.
Several? Who besides Hughson?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I could be the only one but I’ve never noticed that

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Of the top of my head Simpson and Healy. They both have history with the Leafs.
Healy I can give you. I forgot about him. Simpson just seems to try too hard for me. I don't think he dislikes the Leafs.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Of the top of my head Simpson and Healy. They both have history with the Leafs.

Healy got canned, Hudgson is no longer calling Leafs games, Simpson was just being agreeable with Hudgson... Simpson is no longer the sidekick to a Leaf hater... he's does OK calling the games TBH.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Healy I can give you. I forgot about him. Simpson just seems to try too hard for me. I don't think he dislikes the Leafs.
I may be wrong but didn't Healy do the colour when the team was really bad? Some people confuse truth with negativity.
I don't see it with Simpson either.

Reactions: Jojalu

sylejman

Oct 7, 2020
I didn't want to be rude but yea obviously it's really annoying watching non leaf fan comments when other teams have homers as their commentators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad