Post-Game Talk: Leafs @ Sens - 3/12/16 - Ya'll got anymore of them kids? - White Van Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Leafs are out shooting the red wings 3-0 early in the 1st period tonight.

Hilarious.

035ostrich_468x538.jpg

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I'm not denying the sens' defensive incompetence. I just don't think the Leafs game was such a terrible bellwether. Just more typical porousness.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Nepean, ON
Sounds like I missed a rage inducing PxP on Saturday; glad I was invited to go to the game. Leafs fans got quiet after 2-0...3-0 was pretty much the beginning of the exodus.

Was great though: At 4-0, the Jumbotron was showing Leafs fans leaving the CTC. I almost wanted to start a "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" chant.

Sat by two Leafs fans and surprisingly, they were pretty damn good people. Good conversations, nothing crazy and overbearing, very solid. A+. They had a good chuckle at the fact they know their team isn't the greatest right now and Ottawa was spanking them.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This is the kind of thing that confirms my skepticism about these nerd stats. This was an easy win for Ottawa. The Leafs rarely looked capable of scoring a goal, let alone winning the game. I get a little sick of the Sens being outshot all the time, but this was one time the opponent's shots were mostly routine and unthreatening. Nice to see Anderson get the shutout, but he didn't even work up a sweat.

Sens play a style that doesn't make them look good from a corsi perspective. If that was their focus, you could be sure they'd play differently. Their style is more try to score more goals (better shooting % than opposition) and don't have a ton of useless shots to keep the goalie sharp mentally.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Sens play a style that doesn't make them look good from a corsi perspective. If that was their focus, you could be sure they'd play differently. Their style is more try to score more goals (better shooting % than opposition) and don't have a ton of useless shots to keep the goalie sharp mentally.

It doesn't look good from a hockey perspective either. We give up WAY too many scoring and high scoring chances to be successful. It's not a coincidence we are last in goals against.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Isn't a shots chart way more useful than corsi to determine how a game goes? A team can have possession and oaky on the perimeter and not get anything of quality going like in the NBA where they stay to the outside.

Also I'm still not sure why the NHL doesn't track Time of Possession? Such an easy stat to keep.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
shots are tracked somewhere in terms of low, medium and high scoring chance. Using it suggests that Anderson has been merely average for us

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
shots are tracked somewhere in terms of low, medium and high scoring chance. Using it suggests that Anderson has been merely average for us

Does the shots chart track rebound chances? It could also be that Anderson stops initial quality shots and we aren't clearing rebounds.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It doesn't look good from a hockey perspective either. We give up WAY too many scoring and high scoring chances to be successful. It's not a coincidence we are last in goals against.

I didn't say i like the style the coaching has got them playing, or that they have a good defensive structure or that they are efficient at preventing goals against.

I agree that this team needs to be a lot tighter defensively but you have to understand this :

Shots Against Per 60 : 30th
Scoring Chances Against Per 60 : 27th
High Danger Scoring Chances Against Per 60 : 21st

What does it tell you?

Does the shots chart track rebound chances? It could also be that Anderson stops initial quality shots and we aren't clearing rebounds.

I think our system is to allow perimeter shots but prevent second chances. I don't find that we give up many of those, compared to some other teams. Problem with this system is the "breaches", whenever a player is not in the right position or leaves his man go, which unfortunately happens too often.

Ya, I demonstrated it twice using those numbers

It's not that Andy is bad goalie, he's just not the super human a part of this fanbase seem to think and the only reason with Karlsson that we are not a "lottery team". In fact, advanced stats suggest that Karlsson has a big impact on the number of goals against and that Andy is not playing at a savior level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad