GDT: Leafs@Senators 7PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So the opposing coach always dictates the way the Leafs play? Leafs hardly need a genius behind the bench if all they require is a coach to react as opposed to dictate

Absolutely !!!

Neutral zone trap, left wing lock, clogging up the middle, putting up a wall etc etc whatever you want to call it are defensive systems that coaches deploy when they don't have the puck.

Coaches know that Leafs are built on speed, with highly skilled, deep forward group that love to attack on the rush with speed, and can come at you in waves and score in bunches if you let them. Stop that attack and the Leafs become an easy team to play against and beat.

So teams to beat them, they just clog up center ice having all 5 defenders between the bluelines, inorder to disrupt and not allowing them to get their speed attack doing, so they either force turnovers by Leafs trying to skate through the wall or chip it in and chase it down. Opposing teams like their chances forcing "dump and chase" on the Leafs because on player personnel Leafs have few players (Hyman, Komarov, Brown, Martin etc) equipped to successfully and aggressively forecheck and so its their way of regaining possession from Toronto.

Babcock doesn't have any say in how the opposition lines up against him defensively, and since he doesn't want costly turnovers at centre and odd man and high quality scoring chances against, he asks this players to dump it into the Ozone, behind the wall of defenders and forecheck to regain possession.

Its totally out of Babcock's control and he is also bright enough to know that teams are only going to get better at defending his players, particularly when the playoffs start and checking gets even tighter. So Leaf players better learn and adapt to "dump and chase" now and start winning puck/board battles because its not going away anytime soon only going to get even tougher sledding.

Last edited:

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
The whole Dominic Moore 4th line centre thing. Am I the only one else who sees that he would also be a fine 4th line winger? Pretty sure he's played a lot of wing in his career too. He should be used in a platoon role. He still skates well and can actually generate plays offensively while being defensively responsible.

I actually think he would be better on Kadri's wing than Komarov.

Reactions: PromisedLand

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The whole Dominic Moore 4th line centre thing. Am I the only one else who sees that he would also be a fine 4th line winger? Pretty sure he's played a lot of wing in his career either. He should be used in a platoon role. He still skates well and can actually generate plays offensively while being defensively responsible.

I actually think he would be better on Kadri's wing than Komarov.

The idea that Matt Martin isn't someone that should be sitting is what is killing me right now. Komarov at least as some form of value because he's good on the PK.

Moore is a fine 4th liner and would probably offer more than Martin game to game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is a really good point. Over the past few years we've seen the coaching staff mercilessly demote guys like Greening, Laich, Michalek, Fehr, etc. but Moore's the only guy to have lost a spot lately. Why doesn't Komarov get scratched? What about Gardiner for a game? Put Marner in the press box and Kapanen in for one. Send Polak to Ricoh for good.

I think you have two category of players there.

1. Polak and Komarov
2. Gardiner and Marner

I think the 1st. group is doing their best and that's about all you can possibly get.
The 2nd. group has under achieving players, who should be playing better than they are.

What we don't see during the the games is everything else that happens with these players when they aren't on the ice.

While I'd like to see both Komarov and Polak replaced by better players it would be better for me to see Marner and Gardiner playing to their potential.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
just need to switch marner and leo and marleau and hyman and we're good, on fwd at least

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I would like two points....if only to slow down the slew of Habs fans all but guaranteeing that the Habs are going to catch/pass the Leafs.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I really think Gardiner has made less obvious bone head plays per game since Zaitsev has been out...

They don't seem to mesh well together..
I'd like to see the folloing when Z returns.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott / Carrick
Borgman-Zaitsev

Wouldn't have to shelter the 3rd pairing and I could see Borgman and Zaitsev developing some good chemistry. Gardiner would do better with a partner used to playing north American hockey in Dermott as Zaitsev and Gardiner never know where each other are.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Playing most uninspired hockey of the year, against a team that always beats the Leafs, possibly without Rielly. All signs point to something like a 7-2 win, because hockey.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So Babcock gets last change at home?

Bozak is -8 at home and +5 on the road
Kadri is -1 at home and +1 on the road
Matthews is +6 at home and +9 on the road
Moore is +2 at home and -1 on the road

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I know Babvock likes to have the Kadri line as our defensive line, but can we put Maner with them for a few games like he did to Nylander last year? Help to get Kadri and Marleau going offensively and Marner to up his defensive game. Especially against a team like Ottawa who doesn't have a Kucherov or Ovechkin line to defend against.

I'm not upset about how he's been handling lines (I try to leave that to the coach as they do know better), but I think it could help for a game or two to mix up our lines to look for a spark (you can go back to the regular lines once our offense heats up... I don't think it's the line combos that are causing our offensive struggles).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I would love to see just one game with our old freewheeling style....but with the trainwreck our D is right now.....i doubt it will be this one.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm hopeful the leafs will come out all fired up after the comments made by Freddy. Counting on leafs on winning tonight.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I would not be surprised if Gardiner has a great game -more like the games he played in the playoffs and when Reilly was absent last year.Fingers crossed.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad