Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
1075112515748.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1075112515748

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Senators

By Lance Hornby, Toronto Sun
First posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 11:55 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:36 AM EDT

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/21/game-day-maple-leafs-at-senators

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS at OTTAWA SENATORS
Saturday, 7 p.m., Canadian Tire Centre
TV: CBC; Radio: 590 AM

FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME

First things first
Toronto’s record of 6-1 is built largely on it pounding out 14 first-period goals to date. But there have been moments very early in the match where Leafs lapses and a goal or two against could put an entirely different spin on the outcome.

Crowd pleasers
Home ice advantage tends to go out the window in this building, with Bytowners griping about why so many tickets find their way into the hands of vocal Leafs supporters. Sens must win back their lost territory. Toronto is 2-0 on the road, both wins in Canadian cities, while Ottawa has yet to win at CTC.

Anderson/Andersen
Steady Freddy Andersen lost his only start here as a Leaf last October in the Matthews game. and Ottawa goaltender Craig Anderson was marooned by his mates against the Devils the other night, peppered with 46 shots. If the Leafs get that kind of shooting room with their arsenal, 50-plus pucks on goal is not out of the question.

Flippin’ crazy
Toronto coach Mike Babcock’s rotation of fourth line centre and the 5-6 defence position has paid off so far. He won’t want to change the lineup coming off this game, unless someone gives him a darn good reason to.

Kill joys
Ottawa’s penalty-killing unit is No. 1 in the NHL and survived 10 of 13 Leafs minors in last season’s series.
THE BIG MATCHUP
Auston Matthews vs. Erik Karlsson

The two leading scorers in last season’s series hook up as Karlsson re-sets from an early season ankle injury. Sure, Matthews can strike fears in the hearts of the Sens after his four-goal game here a year ago, but Karlsson can get the Leafs off their balance beam in a hurry when he’s in full flight.
SPECIAL TEAMS
MAPLE LEAFS -- PP 30.0% (1st), PK 83.3% (7th)
SENATORS -- PP 18.9% (17th), PK 95.2% (2nd)
SICK BAY
MAPLE LEAFS -- None.
SENATORS --Mark Borowiecki, Ben Harpur, Zack Smith, Colin White

Senators are ready for the Battle of Ontario against Maple Leafs

As the Ottawa Senators prepare to face off against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday at Canadian Tire Centre in Round 1 of the 2017-18 edition of the provincial rivalry, there are two points on the line that will come in handy when the National Hockey League hands out playoff spots in April.
Bruce Garrioch
More from Bruce Garrioch

Published on: October 20, 2017 | Last Updated: October 20, 2017 6:30 PM EDT

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...for-the-battle-of-ontario-against-maple-leafs

Game Day: Toronto at Ottawa
Canadian Tire Centre, 7 p.m. TV: CBC. Radio: TSN 1200, Unique 94.5 FM
Special teams
Ottawa
: PP 18.9% (17th); PK 95.2% (2nd)
Toronto: PP 30% (1st); PK 83.3% (7th)
The Big Matchup: Craig Anderson vs. Frederik Andersen
No, Anderson didn’t look good on the OT winner by New Jersey’s John Moore on Thursday, but the Senators goalie faced 46 shots and didn’t receive a lot of help. Anderson has a 13-6-3 lifetime record against the Leafs with a .920 save-percentage. Andersen’s .899 save-percentage isn’t great, but he has five wins and that’s all that really matters. Makes the necessary saves.
Five keys to the game
1. Win at home:
This is starting to sound like a broken record, but the Senators are 0-1-3 at home to start this season. This trend has to change and quickly.
2. Hold a lead: The Senators squandered a two-goal third-period lead on home ice for the second time this season when they let it slip away against the Devils. That’s a no-no.
3. Stop Matthews: Nobody can forget Auston Matthews’ four-goal night against the Senators in the 2016-170 season opener. He has six goals already this season and is a force.
4. Goals from Ryan: Through seven games this season, the Senators’ Bobby Ryan has five assists. He set up Derick Brassard with a nice pass Thursday, but it would be good for Ryan to get on the board himself.
5. Keep up the good work: The Senators are No. 1 in the 31-team NHL in penalty killing and they’ve got to keep that up by limiting the Leafs’ chances.
Rosters
Senators forward lines

Ryan Dzingel-Kyle Turris-Alex Burrows
Bobby Ryan-Derick Brassard-Mark Stone
Mike Hoffman-J.G. Pageau-Tom Pyat
Nate Thompson-Logan Brown-Chris DiDomenico
Defence pairings
Johnny Oduya-Erik Karlsson
Dion Phaneuf-Cody Ceci
Frederik Claesson-Chris Wideman
Goaltenders
Craig Anderson
Mike Condon
Maple Leafs forward lines
Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Leo Komarov
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Matt Martin-Eric Fehr-Mitch Marner
Defence pairings
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Andreas Borgman-Connor Carrick
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney
Injuries
Ottawa
: Mark Borowiecki, Ben Harpur, Zack Smith, Colin White
Toronto: None

Last edited:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Karlsson is awesome. We'll have to play tight with him on the ice.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
This is for wynchelmarner (sorry, forgot your exact username)

Your instinct is good - on the road, we've given up just 1 goal in 13 shorthanded events for a PK of 92.3%.

So, later, when there are more games played and we have a little better sample, I'll post the home/away PP/PK numbers instead.

For some teams, the differences between home and away PP/PK numbers can be 5 to 10% or more.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Your instinct is good - on the road, we've given up just 1 goal in 13 shorthanded events for a PK of 92.3%.

So, later, when there are more games played and we have a little better sample, I'll post the home/away PP/PK numbers instead.

For some teams, the differences between home and away PP/PK numbers can be 5 to 10% or more.

Yeah, so... Could that not happen just by chance?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Bummed I'm going to miss the game cause I'm going to a concert, but will hopefully find a full stream and watch it after.

Go Leafs!

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Yeah, so... Could that not happen just by chance?

Good question indeed. I just remember looking at numbers at the end of the season and noticing fairly large differences in home/away numbers; the variations seemed larger than chance but, I don't have numbers to justify this, it just seems they are larger than chance - but, the fact some teams are mostly the same, perhaps it is just chance.

I think I'll do some statistical checking on this though.

SNELL9

Apr 2, 2011
Any fans in town heading to the game? Wondering if anyone will be shuttling or meeting at any sports bars prior. United front haha?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Bummed I'm going to miss the game cause I'm going to a concert, but will hopefully find a full stream and watch it after.

Go Leafs!
Same here, Saturday nights are tough. Would usually watch when I get home but have an early tee time tomorrow, love fall golf.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Sens play with a lot of structure. Patience will be the key tonight. If we turn the puck over a lot in the neutral zone, we might be in trouble...

Excited to watch this one! Go Leafs Go!

Reactions: carko32

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

weren't most of the Rangers goals on the PP? that could be the reason right there. :)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think this could be our toughest test of the season. We'll be facing a stingy defence and a great goaltender.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Ahh makes sense. The numbers you posted were correct so at the end of the day it is what it is. In my mind, it just seemed like we were killing every penalty :laugh:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Ahh makes sense. The numbers you posted were correct so at the end of the day it is what it is. In my mind, it just seemed like we were killing every penalty :laugh:
After we went 8/8 or something in game 1 against the Jets, I remember thinking 'At least the first time we allow a PP goal against, our PK% will still be pretty respectable' - I think that kinda clouded my judgement through the past few games, because I also was under the impression we were better on the PK right now.

-

Looking forward to a great day of hockey! Got free tickets to see the Marlies at 4, and then get to come home and watch this game :) Go Leafs Go!

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad