Recalled/Assigned: Leafs recall Byron Froese from the Marlies

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Yeah, seems to be the evidence that they'll be playing the yo-yo game with guys who don't have a big future for the Leafs. Guy working hard on the Marlies, but isn't likely to make much of an NHL impact.

Well wish the guy luck if he gets into the lineup. Regardless it is nice for him to get some time up there.

Pulling for this player - he's been steady and great for the Marlies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This is a good test for the young Marlies players - someone has to take Froese's spot and step up in his absence for the better of the team.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I doubt he'll be on the 1st line but he could be on the checking line and improve the face-offs and defense....

Grabner-Froese-Parenteau

That is a pretty good assignment, as far as fourth lines go!

A 34-goal scorer, and a 20-goal scorer. Back in 2011-12 John freaking Tavares found himself between these two wingers with the Islanders (not every game, but I found stats showing they played at least for some shifts).

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Very happy for Froese. From ECHL to the show in a year.
Marlies biggest surprise last year.

The very definition of a late bloomer ... congrats.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Makes sense he got the call. Marlies are on the road too IIRC. Perhaps the likes of Gauthier now gets the opportunity to play a little higher in the lineup..someone will get a chance with Froese up.

mikebel111*

congrats to Byron. He was one of the best players last season for the Marlies, and so far this season as well. A good late bloomer who deserves his chance

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Froese was a high impact player in the Dub when he was junior and it originally looked like he wasn't going to make it, but now his NHL dream is coming closer.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Any true sports fan loves to see situations like this. Best of luck to him. He might just be the kind of guy that could get Babcock's affection. You never know.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
One of my favourites, I had wrongly thought he was waiver exempt when sent down, once I realized he wasn't, I was nervous that we would lose him.

Probably the player to make the biggest strides & surprise in the last year. Good for him.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Evidence is right in front of us that they don't want our younger talented forwards anywhere near the team right now.

I am perfectly fine with that to be honest. Let the youngins play while we can still call up players lik Froese. Frattin, Brennen and Cambell. These are fillers.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Good Player but who will he replace he's a right handed center...Arcobello?

Put it this way, I've watched him since he was with the Cincinnati Cylcones.. Loved him every minute..! Bozie might have a hard time breaking the line-up, after this BIG guy gets a few games in..

Maybe. He's just there in case Bozak isn't ready to go as they won't have any spares in case someone else can't go. Since they are on the road, they can't really just recall someone in an emergency.

Bozak and Gardiner have been put on IR, today.. --> http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=784472

Evidence is right in front of us that they don't want our younger talented forwards anywhere near the team right now.

You will be happily surprised my friend, if you haven't seen much of his play before.. Big, tough, good at face-offs.. and can put up points.. He's 3rd in points for the Marlies, right now.. High up the list last season, too..

He won't be a top 6 center tonight. He'll either slide in place of someone like Arcobello or whoever, or he'll be in the press box.

Well.., the game is tomorrow, not tonight.. but don't hold your breath, because he might just end up there during the game..

Anyone know who decides to call a player up? Is it Babcock or Lou?

I believe it's Lou who calls them up, but am pretty sure Babs is consulted with first... and also talks with Keefe (Marlies coach) about it.. Dubas is also Marlies GM, so he will also be in on the discussion..

Check him out, everyone..! Great call-up.. and he's a little older and bigger than most of the other guys..

:)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good choice. Prefer Froese over Carrick to replace Bozak.

Froese probably has a higher ceiling, but a lower floor. If Froese can't impress in the top 9 role he'll probably get, then he probably won't make the NHL. Carrick may not be more than a 4th liner, but I think he'll be a better 4th liner than Froese ever would be.

Obviously got sick of Arcobello or wanted a more natural center. Other than Komarov and Winnik way back when, there aren't really any guys that should play center. Matthias and Arcobello play center, but they are far more effective at wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad