Recalled/Assigned: Leafs recall Byron Froese from the Marlies

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He's been the most consistent forward for the Marlies over the past 2 years.

As Henny pointed out, he was in the ECHL 2 years ago and now he's on a call-up (albeit probably only for a week or 2).

Congrats to him!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Good Player but who will he replace he's a right handed center...Arcobello?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Good Player but who will he replace he's a right handed center...Arcobello?

Maybe. He's just there in case Bozak isn't ready to go as they won't have any spares in case someone else can't go. Since they are on the road, they can't really just recall someone in an emergency.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Really it's quite a story to go from being released by Chicago after his ELC expired to earning another NHL contract and getting recalled to the NHL.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I assume the thought with Nylander is that if he's recalled, he's meant to stay not play one game or so. You yo-yo the marginal talent.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Byron Froese Making a Case for an NHL Contract

http://theleafsnation.com/2015/3/10/byron-froese-making-a-case-for-an-nhl-contract

Since coming to the Marlies, Froese has been a very pleasant surprise for the team. "He’s been a great signing." said Gord Dineen after Sunday's game against Utica, where Froese opened the scoring with a shorthanded goal. "He went down to the ECHL and didn't pout while he was leading the league in scoring before getting called up. He’s been a great addition, not only as far as scoring timely goals, but on the defensive side, and winning faceoffs, and killing penalties. Basically doing everything for us, and he’s opened up a lot of people’s eyes.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Froese turned his 2 year AHL contract after the first year to a NHL deal.

He's been really good for the Marlies. I honestly have no idea if he has NHL potential though, but I think he could at least carve one as a bottom 6 depth player of some kind.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Froese turned his 2 year AHL contract after the first year to a NHL deal.

He's been really good for the Marlies. I honestly have no idea if he has NHL potential though, but I think he could at least carve one as a bottom 6 depth player of some kind.

It's a great story and someone who it'll be easy to root for.

dkjones907

Oct 7, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I remember seeing Froese in the ECHL when he came up with the Cyclones to play the Aces in the Kelly Cup Finals. I thought he was the most dangerous out of all the Cyclones' forwards on the ice.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Evidence is right in front of us that they don't want our younger talented forwards anywhere near the team right now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is he going to slide into Bozaks spot or shuffle into to bottom of the line up?

He won't be a top 6 center tonight. He'll either slide in place of someone like Arcobello or whoever, or he'll be in the press box.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Is he going to slide into Bozaks spot or shuffle into to bottom of the line up?

I doubt he'll be on the 1st line but he could be on the checking line and improve the face-offs and defense....

Grabner-Froese-Parenteau

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, seems to be the evidence that they'll be playing the yo-yo game with guys who don't have a big future for the Leafs. Guy working hard on the Marlies, but isn't likely to make much of an NHL impact.

Well wish the guy luck if he gets into the lineup. Regardless it is nice for him to get some time up there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah, seems to be the evidence that they'll be playing the yo-yo game with guys who don't have a big future for the Leafs. Guy working hard on the Marlies, but isn't likely to make much of an NHL impact.

Well wish the guy luck if he gets into the lineup. Regardless it is nice for him to get some time up there.

Froese deserved a call up but if they are going to just use him for press box insurance I would have prefered to call up Carrick.

Nice for Froese though to get a small pay increase while he's up with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad