Leafs Rebuild- How Long Will It Take?

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
This is an article written by a new writer on the site. He's a fairly young kid (17 I believe)

Rough around the edges, going to take a while for people to warm up to him but he is his 1st article.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/leafs-rebuild-how-long-is-this-actually-going-to-take/

I've seen worse from writers with 17 years of professional writing behind them. Pretty decent write-up.

The biggest issue I had was with the paragraph that starts with "There are other pieces" it's a little clunky and I think the sentence:

"Connor Brown could prove to be a good player to have along with Shosnikov and Timashov as an elite scoring line would be ideal as well."

Could be better written as:

"Connor Brown could prove to be a good player to have alongside fellow prospects Shosnikov and Timashov. Ideally this trio could form an elite scoring line as well."

That's just nit picky though.

Mad Brills*

If they haven't made the playoffs during Matthes elc, something has gone really wrong.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I give them 2 years and they're in the playoffs.

I don't think people realize how lucky we've gotten.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
High potential for playoffs this year and next.

This is really the 2nd phase.

The third phase really begins in 2018-19 season... that's when the long shot prospects from 2015 and 2016 draft start graduating to NHL level creating 4 powerful lines and deep defense corps.

That's when non-stop contention is supposed to begin

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
High potential for playoffs this year and next.

This is really the 2nd phase.

The third phase really begins in 2018-19 season... that's when the long shot prospects from 2015 and 2016 draft start graduating to NHL level creating 4 powerful lines and deep defense corps.

That's when non-stop contention is supposed to begin

Really? I would give us a higher chance at dead last Vs. Playoffs.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Really? I would give us a higher chance at dead last Vs. Playoffs.

I give us a higher chance of winning the president's trophy than finishing dead last.

There's a difference between tempering expectations than assuming they will win it all.

Jun 27, 2005
I didn't read the article.

The way it's supposed to happen is a team contends for a while then slowly drops like the Sundin Leafs. GM's are supposed to let it naturally drop, bounce off the bottom and depending on how well they rebuild they then climb to the next peak but they are often afraid of losing their jobs etc so they mess it up.

The current Leafs management also didn't let this happen naturally. They decided to dump top players and tank. The problem is that they hit the bottom with too many holes created by the tank and MUST stay at the bottom for longer to fill the holes. If they do, then the future is very bright but if they think that they are better than they are and do things like signing good goaltenders instead of letting the team naturally suck then they will bounce too early and never truly contend for a decade or more until they fall and bounce again.

We are at a crucial stage in the rebuild. Too early to start competing but a few great assets that trick you into thinking they are ready. It appears that Shanahan doesn't understand. We'll see.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I didn't read the article.

The way it's supposed to happen is a team contends for a while then slowly drops like the Sundin Leafs. GM's are supposed to let it naturally drop, bounce off the bottom and depending on how well they rebuild they then climb to the next peak but they are often afraid of losing their jobs etc so they mess it up.

The current Leafs management also didn't let this happen naturally. They decided to dump top players and tank. The problem is that they hit the bottom with too many holes created by the tank and MUST stay at the bottom for longer to fill the holes. If they do, then the future is very bright but if they think that they are better than they are and do things like signing good goaltenders instead of letting the team naturally suck then they will bounce too early and never truly contend for a decade or more until they fall and bounce again.

We are at a crucial stage in the rebuild. Too early to start competing but a few great assets that trick you into thinking they are ready. It appears that Shanahan doesn't understand. We'll see.

We were at the bottom for a decade before the new mgmt arrived.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sometime between 1967 (the last Cup) and the next one.
That's the goal.

Mad Brills*

My answer would be "as long as it take"

uh, if they don't make the playoffs when matthews is costing less than a million dollars, that won't be good for long term cap situation when he's making 6+

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
uh, if they don't make the playoffs when matthews is costing less than a million dollars, that won't be good for long term cap situation when he's making 6+

How is that?
Tampa drafted Stamkos in 2008.
They missed the playoffs 3 years in a row.
Had 1 great run after that but missed the next 2 years. You don't draft Drouin 3rd overall because you are good. So they made the playoffs 1 time in 6 years. Now they just had to sign Stamkos and Hedman long term. They seem to be alright. Most would agree they are a Cup contender.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You guys don't realize how far along we are.

We have a future franchise centre in Mathews

We got a #1 goalie in Andersen

We got a #1 Winger in JVR and another coming in Marner

We got a #2 Centre or Winger in Nylander

We got a emerging #1 D in Rielly

and a #3 D in Gardiner .

Guys we have ALOT of pieces already in place

You guys saying 6-8 years have lost your mind ALOT of pieces are in place they just need to mature

They WILL be in the playoffs in 2018 just wait for Laich, Greening, Robidas and Michleak to expire then we can take a HIGE step forward

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site

and a #3 D in Gardiner .

You guys saying 6-8 years have lost your mind ALOT of pieces are in place they just need to mature

They WILL be in the playoffs in 2018 just wait for Laich, Greening, Robidas and Michleak to expire then we can take a HUGE step forward

Great post. We hopefully get that #2 D next draft!

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

and a #3 D in Gardiner .

They WILL be in the playoffs in 2018 just wait for Laich, Greening, Robidas and Michleak to expire then we can take a HIGE step forward

Until all of those players prove your claims, then you can make those statements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad