Leafs ranked 20th by Hockey's Future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Hahah, the rankings really are a bit of a joke.

Kadri has been downgraded to a 7.5C.
Frattin is undervalued at 7.0C. Should be 7.5C, or 7.0B
Personally, I think that Reilly should be an 8.5B - as he's clearly shown he's bounced back from his injury and hasn't missed a step.

The Bruins ahead of the Leafs is quite laughable.

Anyways, in reality, the Leafs should probably be slotted in at about the 12-15 range

Tell us more of how we have better guys than Dougie Hamilton in our system.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Hmm, hello troll. Actually, Leaf fans do not hate Brian - awesome human being, great guy to have around, generous to employees and fans. In fact, I'd genuinely offer that his off-ice exploits border on hero status.

It's just that in his role as manager, we are worse in the standings than when he took the reins those many years ago. Some of us now, and rightfully so, hold his feet to the fire for that. At the end of the sports day, many fans pay attention, time and money to this stuff for one main reason: results. That means some sort of playoff success. Period.

Is this enough "hating" for you?

You have to say that everything with the team is awesome, and we are headed in the right direction, and that low end prospects will become "depth scorers in the NHL".

The more you actually watch our prospects, and compare them to other prospects in a logical manner, the worse off you will be on here.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Logic Problem.

Take a 26th NHL team in the NHL overall standings, add (+) the 20th ranked prospect pool (@ HF & Hockey News) = Stanley Cup in how many years?

A bottom 5 NHL team (with over 1/2 current team on expiring contracts next season) & a bottom 10 NHL internal prospect pool seems like a long long way from a Cup winning team based on what exists today within in the organization.

Missing vital components like a #1 Centre & #1 Goalie absent from the organization not found in the current prospect pool nor on the current roster another glaring organizational weakness.

This. Time to be a realist. You have hit the nail on the head here.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
its wierd cause it says most of our prospects are top 6ers. however, kadri and colborne are on that list, there is no word of biggs. I have no idea how toronto could be 20th with atleast one sure fire blue chipper.

this doesn't mean squat tho.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I would give frattin 7.0B, Colborne a 6.5C, swap finn's and blackers rankings, give kadri a 7.5B, and holzer a 6.5B but otherwise I would agree with the rankings.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Hahah, the rankings really are a bit of a joke.

Kadri has been downgraded to a 7.5C.
Frattin is undervalued at 7.0C. Should be 7.5C, or 7.0B
Personally, I think that Reilly should be an 8.5B - as he's clearly shown he's bounced back from his injury and hasn't missed a step.

The Bruins ahead of the Leafs is quite laughable.

Anyways, in reality, the Leafs should probably be slotted in at about the 12-15 range

The Bruins have the Dougie Hamilton hype working in the favor like the Canucks once had the Cody Hodgson hype working in their favor.

I think Hamilton will be a good NHLer, but once people start finding out at 6'4 he's not really that physical, they'll be vastly disappointed. If he doesn't score...he'll quickly get noticed on the radar.

I think Kadri and Frattin are both 7.0 prospects. Kadri is never going to make room with the Leafs unless they decided to start getting rid of a couple of top 6 players.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Yup, I said this in the prospects thread already but these rankings are a joke.

We were ranked #6 in spring 2010, and #9 in spring 2011. I don't see how our prospect pool has gotten worse since then. Yeah, I suppose guys like Bozak and Gunnarsson have graduated, but we've added some pretty good players since then and our defense has been nicely shored up.

RogerRoeper*

Tell us more of how we have better guys than Dougie Hamilton in our system.

It's not based on one player so I don't know why you're only mentioning him.

And Morgan Rielly has more pure talent btw.

RogerRoeper*

Florida has been near the top for 10 years. Remember future stars like Weiss and Horton?

Yeah, Florida was supposed to contend for cups after the lockout. But they never made the playoffs with the likes of Luongo, Weiss, Horton, Boumeester.

There are certain teams that you want to see them improve at the NHl level before you give them too much credit. The Islanders are the same.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
That's your opinion. How the hell did the Leafs have a poor draft when none of them have even played a game yet?

In therms of were players they got were ranked by the scooting central. I agree this is not the most accurate measure and things can change depending on how players develop in the system. In addition the Leafs had very few picks in the top 60 which certainly does not help their ranking.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
I'm obviously a Habs fan, but if you look at the performance of the player's drafted, they're doing quite well across the board. So it's a bit more than name recognition.

Anyways, as for HF prospect rankings in terms of numbers <number>.<letter>, it's not very reliable since they have different writers performing the rankings and some writers are obviously much tougher than others.

Think what you want. Hockey exerts from all corners of the league agreed Montreal had a very good draft last year. It's not about the fans.

JKsilverstick*

I'm obviously a Habs fan, but if you look at the performance of the player's drafted, they're doing quite well across the board. So it's a bit more than name recognition.
So are ours. Go back to the Habs board.

Anyways, as for HF prospect rankings in terms of numbers <number>.<letter>, it's not very reliable since they have different writers performing the rankings and some writers are obviously much tougher than others.
Bolded = exactly.

There is no consistency or reason in these rankings.

They are useless.

Apr 1, 2010
I was looking over the top 10 last night.

Seemed way off base to me.

Detroit has 2 decent prospects and are in the top 10? How does that happen?

All the BS about their other prospects could be said about any teams. "Long-term projects" etc. DEt gets credit for players who are 3 yrs away from 3rd line duty if they're lucky.

I'm not putting to much faith in these rankings. There is obvious bias and a serious lack of equality.

Last edited:

RogerRoeper*

Detroit's prospects are the most overrated. They're getting so much credit for past great drafting. That doesn't mean these prospects will turn out well.

JKsilverstick*

Detroit has been milking the lucky picks of Datsyuk and Zetterberg for almost a decade now, so I'm not sure why you're surprised.

Apr 1, 2010
Detroit's prospects are the most overrated. They're getting so much credit for past great drafting. That doesn't mean these prospects will turn out well.

Detroit has been milking the lucky picks of Datsyuk and Zetterberg for almost a decade now, so I'm not sure why you're surprised.

It wasn't just Detroit. Chicago had me scratching my head too. Aparently Jimmy Hayes (*another 23yr old) former Leafs prospect is a part of why they are in the top 10. From the little blurb the wrote he might be the Hawks #6 prospect.

What? He was barely staying up on the 4th line when the Hawks had a ton of injuries..

Last edited:

JKsilverstick*

It wasn't just Detroit. Chicago had me scratching my head too. Aparently Jimmy Hayes (*another 23yr old) former Leafs prospect is a part of why they are in the top 10. From the little blurb the wrote he might be the Hawks #6 prospect.

What? He was barely staying up on the 4th line when the Hawks had a ton of injuries. And again he is still a prospect while Kadri and Frattin are not.
Tampa Bay is a head-scratcher too.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yup, I said this in the prospects thread already but these rankings are a joke.

We were ranked #6 in spring 2010, and #9 in spring 2011. I don't see how our prospect pool has gotten worse since then. Yeah, I suppose guys like Bozak and Gunnarsson have graduated, but we've added some pretty good players since then and our defense has been nicely shored up.

Let's try to keep things in perspective.

People were singing Burkie's virtues when HF rated them #6 and #9.

Now that HF rates them #20, the same people claim that it means nothing.

Maybe the emperor's new clothes are not that pretty...

HF's ratings are opinions.

Feel free to disagree.

But don't laud the merits of someone based on that opinion, and then turn around 1-2 years later and claim that opinion is worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad