Prospect Info: Leafs Prospect Camp Footage

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
Here's some footage of the Prospect Camp:

Scrimmage Part 1(Day 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Hf7EhyT04

Scrimmage part 2(Day 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rACy3MeL9WY

Shootout (Day 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVt2Av-agMs

I haven't gone through part 2 of the scrim yet, but to me Biggs and Toninato were very noticeable in the 1st part. As for the shootout, a lot of missed shots, but goalies owned the shooters for the most part.

Post other footage if you can find it!

Edit: Watched 2nd part, same guys standout, Goumas has a couple spurts, Rielly is the best player on the ice but that's a given. Most of the D are really solid, not many shots are given up, and they aren't quality chances.

2nd Edit: Not my videos, just found them

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pretty good footage.

Ryan Rupert had some decent hits and plays but towards the end you could see him starting to float and make bad plays.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Josh Leivo and Morgan Rielly were clearly the two most polished guys in that scrimmage.

Leivo is a stud. Wow.

EDIT: Goumas looked pretty good too. We should sign him. Drop out of school, Kevin.

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
Josh Leivo and Morgan Rielly were clearly the two most polished guys in that scrimmage.

Leivo is a stud. Wow.

EDIT: Goumas looked pretty good too. We should sign him. Drop out of school, Kevin.

I found Biggs looked much better then Leivo. Josh had a nice dangle in the 1st part, but overall didn't really stand out to me, in fact he seemed lazy at times.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Here's some footage of the Prospect Camp:

Scrimmage Part 1(Day 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Hf7EhyT04

Scrimmage part 2(Day 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rACy3MeL9WY

Shootout (Day 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVt2Av-agMs

I haven't gone through part 2 of the scrim yet, but to me Biggs and Toninato were very noticeable in the 1st part. As for the shootout, a lot of missed shots, but goalies owned the shooters for the most part.

Post other footage if you can find it!

Edit: Watched 2nd part, same guys standout, Goumas has a couple spurts, Rielly is the best player on the ice but that's a given. Most of the D are really solid, not many shots are given up, and they aren't quality chances.

2nd Edit: Not my videos, just found them

Verhaeghe's shootout goal was filthy!! That kid has some nice hands.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Leivo has a lot to work on before we call him a stud. Rielly was good but he didnt really take controll of the game, but then again i think hes the type of guy whos game elevates to his teams game. I think he should make it, but Percy looked really calm and solid back there, you can count on him to settle it down and give the nice simple pass.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't watch it all; but Victor Loov looked big and smooth.

I was there. Loov is a really good skater, interesting prospect.

Broll is huge and wins battles. He will be a Leaf I imagine, very soon.

Petr Granberg looks like a very good prospect. Paired with Reilly and complimented him. Stood out.

Biggs looked average.

Verhagge looks like a great pick. Goumas can fly. Leivo has alot of skill.

TSBSoupsta

Dec 29, 2012
A couple of Leaf prospects looked quite good:

The obvious Rielly, great breakouts, great getting back after those breakouts, a man amongst boys ALREADY.

Leivo, as many of us have said, looks to be closer to being a Leaf than anyone expected. I remember he impressed at Leaf prospect camp last year, and then had another great regular season this year, and another great camp. He's not shown anything bad. I really hope he plays a good amount of time with the Marlies this year and we'll see where it goes from there.

Johnson was a big surprise for me. I was impressed last year with our 7th rounder Loov at prospect camp., and I'm again impressed with the Leafs 7th rounders this year. Loov looked solid again, and Johnson had a lot of solid offensive plays and was able to get back on D a lot. His hands looked pretty nasty in the shootout too, love it.

Connor Brown sticks out as well as a late round guy who looked solid. Good game on both ends of the ice.

A couple players stood out to me in a bad way:

Percy seemed invisible. I'm a Steelheads fan, and I'm used to that in a GOOD way, but I'm not terribly happy with how he played.

Staying in the same draft, Biggs looked subpar to me. Didn't use his body a ton, just went with the flow, didn't make a lot of big plays.

And both Rupert brothers... I don't know about them. They were average in the scrimmage, but they had their moments.

Looking at non-Leafs prospects:

Bellerive was okay, but he got muscled around a couple times. Not great, can't see us signing him.

Bittner I didn't see a ton of but, like most of the non-Leafs, no huge mistakes, no huge standouts, which I guess should be expected with undrafteds. Still, not really impressed, not likely to sign.

Burnside.. as a Steelheads fan.. is a bit better than how he played in the scrimmage. I was keeping a close eye on him, interested to see how he did. He contributed to a few good breakouts, but overall was average. Could be a prospect depth signing, but likely not.

Doherty was on the ice a ton. Like... in every clip Doherty is there it seemed. He didn't make any glaring mistakes, and had a few good defensive plays. I'd have to see more to decide but he was one of the more impressive non-Leafs in my opinion.

Christopher Gibson. I wasn't really paying attention to the goalies, but if he was one of the two out there, he did a solid job. Both goalies did.

Goumas was the most impressive, like I said before. He's got a lot of speed and some offensive talent, and checking his stats I see he was over PPG in NCAA last year. Not shocked, he probably sped past some of the guys in there. I think he's the most likely non-Leaf signing, I'd love to see him some more.

Kunzle made a couple nice plays on offense. One specifically where he drew 2 guys to him and then dished the puck to Matt Rupert for a good chance from the high slot. Was very impressed with that. But, other times, he just looked like he was slacking on getting back on D. Iffy on him, but definitely one of the more interesting guys.

McCue.... didn't see him really at all. Can't form an opinion but he was invisible to me.

Raine.. sort of like McCue. I saw Raine a bit last year with the Knights... but really.. nothing impressive there in my opinion. No thanks.

And that's all the non-Leafs.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I hope we sign Gibber...Christopher Gibson...he was a school mate of Morgan Rielly and lead his team to a national championship while going undefeated. Not sure what happened with him and LA but he is a quality goalie who has tremendous upside. Great athletic goalie with a great glove who reads the play very well.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
I singled out Rielly and strictly watched him play (no puck watching), and I would say he looked solid in these clips, but was too good for his team. The Blue team seemed a bit less "in-sync" than the white team, and it showed by the way they tended to rely on Rielly to gain the offensive zone. There was one give-and-go play that Rielly orchestrated that WOULD have created a nice scoring chance, but his teammate didn't make a good return pass. Furthermore, it seemed like whenever Rielly was on the ice, his team just gave him the puck and put it all on his shoulders. I don't mind that level of responsibility at this tournament though. At the proper NHL training camp, Rielly will have better teammates and we'll get a better idea of how he fits into a good roster.

Defensively he's not strong in front of the net, but his defensive strength is his footspeed that allows him to break up the chip-and-chase plays the White team used. There was at least one stellar defensive play where the puck was chipped loose into the offensive zone and even though White was giving chase, Rielly's lateral footspeed let him get there first and he cleared the zone. It was an NHL ready play, in my mind. Simple, and plays to Rielly's strengths.

Look forward to seeing more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad