GDT: Leafs@Penguins 7PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
One thing that boggles me is how often I read comments around the league and in media about how we're a fast team that scores a lot of rush. My impression has been that our rush offense has pretty much dried up completely, and we play very slow if anything. I rarely see teams that take as much time from getting the puck in their own zone to get a zone entry. Usually a lot of D to D plays and then a forward coming down low to carry it up the ice.

we've been dumping and chasing a craptonne lately.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
And I think that is tied with how slow we transition. There's not much room to carry since the opponents have time to set up, so they dump it in. We really need to get our breakout system working.
Dump and chase is fine IF they don't precede it with a stretch pass where it becomes more of a tip-in. If its thrown in at full speed then sure, you can use your speed still. But, what we do is slow our own forecheck down when we dump it in and give the other team plenty of time. Its slow and too easy. Its way better when there are a couple players going in at full speed. It was better when the players used a mix of the two and I'm sure they will go back to it eventually.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Wait a second, now the RedWings were a one and done team? Wow people's hare for Babcock is really clouding their judgement.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Mike Babcock on the Penguins: “We’re trying to become what they’ve been.”
It seems like thats where we are headed, and Babcock is doing a great job to make sure thats what we become.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Hoping for a good game but just get those two points, at the end of the season it doesn’t matter how we got them.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't know if it is holiday season thing but am super pumped and excited for

Matthews Vs Crosby

and then

Matthews Vs McDavid

results better be in our favour or else I will be one sour and angry mofo :laugh:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Jaysus effing C we need another top 4 dman in the worst way. Friggin Polak again.

Go Leafs Go

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
And I think that is tied with how slow we transition. There's not much room to carry since the opponents have time to set up, so they dump it in. We really need to get our breakout system working.

I wonder if part of it is Babcock wanting less run and gun offence and a better effort defensively.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I wonder if part of it is Babcock wanting less run and gun offence and a better effort defensively.
The Leafs don't have a run and gun team anymore.

The 4th line, is just the 4th line.

Matthews line, he prefers to hunt the puck down in the slot, usually that happens more off the forecheck than rush.

Kadri line, although he and his linemates still have the wheels to rush the puck, they rather not. Just play north south, get it out, dump and chase.

Then the JVR-Bozak-Marner line, no scoring except for JVR, and all his goals seem to come on the power play or when he happens to play with someone else on a shift. No scoring automatically means no run and gun.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
One thing that boggles me is how often I read comments around the league and in media about how we're a fast team that scores a lot of rush. My impression has been that our rush offense has pretty much dried up completely, and we play very slow if anything. I rarely see teams that take as much time from getting the puck in their own zone to get a zone entry. Usually a lot of D to D plays and then a forward coming down low to carry it up the ice.
The Leafs are still an excellent rush team.

However, everyone knows, and that is the game plan. If the other team is going to get beat by the Leafs, then it won't be off the rush.

If the Leafs are going to beat you off the rush, they will beat off the forecheck too. At least get rid of one possibility.

The Calgary game at home last week, they were able to get rid of both possibilities the whole game almost. Just keep getting it on net on Andersen was their game plan and be quick on the forecheck.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The Leafs don't have a run and gun team anymore.

The 4th line, is just the 4th line.

Matthews line, he prefers to hunt the puck down in the slot, usually that happens more off the forecheck than rush.

Kadri line, although he and his linemates still have the wheels to rush the puck, they rather not. Just play north south, get it out, dump and chase.

Then the JVR-Bozak-Marner line, no scoring except for JVR, and all his goals seem to come on the power play or when he happens to play with someone else on a shift. No scoring automatically means no run and gun.

In October we definitely had a lot of games where we traded dangerous scoring chances back and forth.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Gotta pay $10 million a year if you want that kind of coaching.
we have pretty clear evidence that the line works better with Nylander on it, which is probably also why Babcock decides to go to that line once these lines generate nothing yet again, but by then it's usually too late and we're losing and the other team shuts things down. I'd honestly be disappointed if a child couldn't recognize that our best players should be playing higher in the lineup. The fact that Babcock can't actually blows my mind

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
we have pretty clear evidence that the line works better with Nylander on it, which is probably also why Babcock decides to go to that line once these lines generate nothing yet again, but by then it's usually too late and we're losing and the other team shuts things down. I'd honestly be disappointed if a child couldn't recognize that our best players should be playing higher in the lineup. The fact that Babcock can't actually blows my mind
Beyond frustrating at this point. Hyman-Matthews-Brown line has looked like absolute garbage. After the Edmonton game I thought 100% that Nylander was getting his top line spot back - but no, apparently his gudpro/60 just ain't high enough yet

Reactions: ToMaLe

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We have a second place team in the division but it still seems hard to watch some of their games. Some of the lineup decisions just drive me up the wall. So sick of seeing certain players on this team still getting plenty of ice time. But this is all because I care and I want to see this franchise win the cup one day. It's good to be so invested.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Beyond frustrating at this point. Hyman-Matthews-Brown line has looked like absolute garbage. After the Edmonton game I thought 100% that Nylander was getting his top line spot back - but no, apparently his gudpro/60 just ain't high enough yet
yeah I don't know what to think at this point. His decisions seem pretty baseless honestly. we scored 1 goal in each of our last two games and somehow that's good enough for him to be complacent with his lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad