Seravalli: Leafs, Panthers, Flames, and Devils have shown interest in Hagel

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Don’t think they even know what to do until a new Gm is named

For a team that looks closer to a rebuild than a run; a 23 year old signed for another 2 years after this on a reasonable cap hit, plus RFA retention doesn’t seem like a guy I’d be running out of town unless someone blew me away.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
If true that it's those 4 teams who have talked to Chicago regarding Hagel, then one has to believe that Toronto may be the front runner. Dubas had said he's not trying his first unless it's for someone who has term, which Hagel has. He also fits the age group of this core.

Not to mention, I believe Toronto is the only team listed that currently owns a 1st Round Pick. I can't see New Jersey willing to move theirs considering they've committed to building that team through the draft, which they've done a great job at.

If Chicago does move Hagel, my bet is Toronto is the team to get him.

Reactions: Taylorst

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
For a team that looks closer to a rebuild than a run; a 23 year old signed for another 2 years after this on a reasonable cap hit, plus RFA retention doesn’t seem like a guy I’d be running out of town unless someone blew me away.
I think that’s the the thing. Blow them away and then maybe they do it. No clue what’s happening there though.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Why don't the Hawks hold on to him ?

He is 23 and likely still has room to grow.

They should try offloading some of their aging talent before moving Hagel.

Chicago needs high draft picks and prospects, Hagel, cat dach won't even be around when Chicago has fully rebuilt there team , they still have toews and Kane for another year ... it makes sense imo to start loading up

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Don’t think they even know what to do until a new Gm is named

That's what I sense and another poster didn't agree. But it's to close to the deadline and chicago is interviewing gm candidates so one would think at this point the interim gm is simply fielding offers but not able to pull the trigger...

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
So they mortgage their future for Jones and now want to trade away good NHL players?

Reactions: Pertti

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
How about something around:

Hagel + DeHaan (max salary retained) + pick?

for

Dube + Valimaki

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Let Florida or the Flames pony up that asking price. Those Tampa deals over the last couple of years have people going mad over guys who just aren’t worth what’s being asked.

if you have good pro scouts and a GM worth his title, you should be able to get creative when after a player like this. There’s many guys out there who can provide the same tools and results.

BillyZito

Feb 13, 2022
Let Florida or the Flames pony up that asking price. Those Tampa deals over the last couple of years have people going mad over guys who just aren’t worth what’s being asked.

if you have good pro scouts and a GM worth his title, you should be able to get creative when after a player like this. There’s many guys out there who can provide the same tools and results.

Zito only hits triples or dingers, he already got his Hagel in Reinhart

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Couple of points...

He's 23, why exactly is Chicago trading him? Heck, even if you get a 1st (that's likely going to be 20+) + top prospect, both of those would have to "hit" to get a player the quality of Hagel.

From Toronto's perspective, his contract is obviously exciting, but I struggle a little bit to see the fit. I'm not sure how much "better than" Michael Bunting, Alex Kerfoot, or Ilya Mikheyev he really is; and it's not like he brings a bunch of size / physicality either.

Don't get me wrong, there should be interest.... but if the price is say, Robertson + the first, does that really make sense? I think if parting with those types of pieces, you need to fill a bigger hole than Hagel does.... maybe Dubas looks at it as "he's the perfect Kerfoot replacement", and hopes to recoup futures on Kerfoot in the offseason.

Personally, if dealing with Chicago, I'd like to see a real blockbuster. Something like:
- Robertson or Amirov
- Toronto's 1st
- Liljegren (or ideally Dermott)
- Toronto 2nd 2023

For:
-Brandon Hagel
-Connor Murphy

Get a theoretical Jake Muzzin replacement, but being on the right side, somebody that could be a solid partner for a Rasmus Sandin as well.

If you figure that next year, Murphy replaces Muzzin and Hagel replaces Kerfoot, that's a lot of cap space for Jack Campbell. Obviously this kind of deal only works if Muzzin is out for the remainder of the regular season, but with multiple concussions in a short period of time, it seems likely the Leafs could make that happen. Would give them a REALLY good blueline in the playoffs.

Last edited:

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Chicago needs high draft picks and prospects, Hagel, cat dach won't even be around when Chicago has fully rebuilt there team , they still have toews and Kane for another year ... it makes sense imo to start loading up

Generally speaking teams lay out a 5 year rebuild plan. At that point Hagel is still only going to be 28.

Chicago should be looking for players like Hagel, not trading them away.

Reactions: Marshall

Ledge And Dairy

Lol what? Dach literally turned 21 a month ago, might as well say their upcoming 2022 1st round draft selection wont be around for when the team is fully rebuilt by that logic

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
He’s 23yrs old until the summer. Makes 1.5per. Signed for another 2 years after this season at that rate. And he’s a good, skilled player. Not exactly sure why they’d trade him but understandable that it wouldn’t be “cheap”, just shouldnt be crazy like the initial asking price is. But then again all asking prices typically are, just gotta work your way to the middle

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The devils should be all over Hagel. They need that type of player and his age range fits with their young core....
Imo, the devils were the team that made an offer for DeKat and Hagel that Servelli alluded to earlier in the week....
If the devils can add 2-3 impact wingers, they go from being Meh to looking to sneak into playoff contention by next season.
Bratt and their 4th line is the only thing I would keep if I’m NJ.
They need depth to go with those 3 high impact centers.
Sharengovich is a 3rd liner playing above his head, and Boqvist has had some good games, but they need a lot more help on the wings.....

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So they mortgage their future for Jones and now want to trade away good NHL players?

New GM is forthcoming, so whoever it ends up being might not be necessarily as married to the players. New GM might look at it as selling high on Hagel if they can get a Blake Coleman-esque return and reshape the roster from there.

Admittedly I haven't watched a ton of Blackhawks games this season, but Hagel looked like a great effort guy. I'd just be wary of any player shooting 18.7% since that's usually a decent bet to regress to the mean.

Reactions: Marshall

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Generally speaking teams lay out a 5 year rebuild plan. At that point Hagel is still only going to be 28.

Chicago should be looking for players like Hagel, not trading them away.

There's a few things wrong with your argument, Chicago has toews and kane for another year that creates issues with cap and roster space , Chicago is lacking serious young elite talent/-depth in every area forward /defense/goalie in Rockford.. at 28 years old most forwards are on the downward half of there careers, there are a few exceptions but very few.

Also you make it sound like in 5 years Chicago will be rebuilt , tell that to Ottawa, Buffalo, Arizona and many other teams who've been rebuilding for several years and still are horrible. Chicago's last rebuild started around 2000 and they managed to get lucky in there draft picks amd selection, that of which you need...

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Lol what? Dach literally turned 21 a month ago, might as well say their upcoming 2022 1st round draft selection wont be around for when the team is fully rebuilt by that logic

Yeah he just turned 21 and this is his 3rd year in the league and he hasn't exceeded expectations.
Toews kane at 21 were winning a cup and were impacting games none of which dach has shown.

I'd except your argument if he was a defenseman they take more time to develop, he is a forward most productive elite forwards are hitting there stride by 21 .. His numbers alone speak for his productivity....

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
the blackhawks would look to trade him because hes scoring above expectation right now. His contract is great for the next two years but the hawks cannot benefit from that because they are still a ways away. They do not have futures with any star potential in the pipeline right now. If they can trade a good third liner for a 1st and prospect yes do it. Hagel will not be the difference in a rebuild but would be a difference for a playoff contending team. I think thats were the deal starts.

Reactions: Taylorst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad