Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Ottawa, HNIC. Saturday Oct. 21st (Trap?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So far so good to the start of the season. Defense (team defense) is getting relatively better than start of the 2017/2018 campaign.

• 6 wins in 7 games
  • No 1 PP
  • No 1 overall in NHL
  • Team scoring by committee instead of only one line going
Now at Ottawa, trap game? And by trap I mean Ottawa's trap system. How can we exploit it?

• Can the Leafs overcome the trap by potting a few goals and taking the lead to begin the game?
  • Can the Leafs make Homophobic Sluroof look like the pylon that he is?
  • Ottawa got shut-out in Karlsson's season debut, can Leafs continue that trend?
  • How will A. Matthews (A stands for Awesome) change the angle this game to pot a goal?
  • Can Marner get his offensive game going?
  • Will Freddie be able to shutout Ottawa like he did Washington?
  • Can Mo continue his point streak and continue to make better plays (like he did last game) on PP and evenstrengh?
  • Will Gards rebound and have an offensively monster game?
  • Can WillyNy continue to be offensive machine?
  • Will we see Naz layout a big hit, then score and taunt the Ottawa bench?
  • Can Bozak+JVR be a net positive or be not on ice for a goal against this game?
  • Can "Downtown Conor Brown" continue his hot streak on his new line?

4 point game against a divisional rival who we despise. Lets get going!!!

GLG!

Reactions: Rogie and MJ65

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Ottawa is a team we seem to have problems with and in preseason they beat us twice, they are presently 3rd in the Atlantic division and we shouldn't take them lightly.

Reactions: Placid Perspicuity

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
to beat ottawa's trap - we need to score first, and truly lock it down.
if they get the lead (heck if they tie) we're looking for a trap.

watch for Hoffman. and Pageau.
this needs to be a 2 point regulation win at home. no OT no SO.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Need to score first so they can't commit to the trap
I am going to be at this game. My first live NHL game!!! We will kick butt obviosuly!! Go Leafs Go!! **** the Sens!!!!!!!
Congrats! Hopefully you're a good luck charm

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Their a good team, play with amazing structure and discipline, which is why they made it all the way to the Conf finals last year. This might be our toughest game yet. But the team shouldn't lack motivation if they watch a couple youtube videos of the past rivalry. I still get mad and the inner Ottawa hate comes out when I think of those days.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Induvidual stats
Zaitzev, Nylander, Matthews Nr1 in +/- (+10)
Zaitzev Nr3 in Blocked Shots
Komarov Nr1 in Hits(with Weber)
and if You look at SH TOI Hainsey 42 min , Zaitzev 37 min, nr 3 Greene from devils 30 min.

Reactions: 4evaBlue

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
These guys played us really well last year, they took advantage of our defensive miscues and didn't really give the Leafs the space to take over games.

That being said, the Leafs are more experienced and refined now, and have more firepower. Just need to push through with speed and break the game open. Also, Ottawa is 29th in shot attempts against/60 minutes. They are getting very lucky and their run isn't going to last.

And, for all the flack the Leafs defense gets, the Leafs are actually the 4th best team in terms of shot attempts against/60.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
These guys played us really well last year, they took advantage of our defensive miscues and didn't really give the Leafs the space to take over games.

That being said, the Leafs are more experienced and refined now, and have more firepower. Just need to push through with speed and break the game open. Also, Ottawa is 29th in shot attempts against/60 minutes. They are getting very lucky and their run isn't going to last.

And, for all the flack the Leafs defense gets, the Leafs are actually the 4th best team in terms of shot

I swear I heard that almost throughout last season and they went on to the Conf Finals. At some point gotta give credit that the team has a system that they've perfected or play very well - as much as it pains me to say that.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
God I just remembered we almost hired Boucher, this team would've been so much more boring

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
IT'S A TRAP

8dfc45ebe3a41192f8722233ba07e63a.jpg

635983109142817972-USATSI-5834866_2157888_ver1.0.jpg

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
That it is Walshy, there bloody good at it and we've had some issues solving it

Should be interesting to see if we've learned anything from last season about how to go about solving that puzzle

Score first and score a few times; Ottawa's trap goes to hell and they lose.

:yo:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I swear I heard that almost throughout last season and they went on to the Conf Finals. At some point gotta give credit that the team has a system that they've perfected or play very well - as much as it pains me to say that.
You can ride out hot goaltending and shooting percentages for a season. It's happened in the past with Colorado and Calgary doing it in back-to-back years. The Leafs also did it in 2013 and managed to do it for 75% of the season in 2013/2014.

Ottawa last year was bottom 10 in PK, bottom 10 in PP, bottom 10 in goals scored, only playoff team with a negative goal differential and also bottom 10 in shots against. If you think those are the markers of a successful team then I don't know what to tell you.

I will give them credit for 2 things, 1 is great goaltending, and the other is that they block shooting lanes well. Despite being 29th in shot attempts against/60, they are top 10 in shots on goal against/ 60. Meaning a lot of the shots aren't making it to the net.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It will be tricky to tackle that trap, but just have to find a way through it. On the positive side we just need to look for our chances and pounce on them. We've got the forward group to manage that. Just have to make sure the barrage we can score is enough.

Just find a way.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So far so good to the start of the season. Defense (team defense) is getting relatively better than start of the 2017/2018 campaign.

• 6 wins in 7 games
  • No 1 PP
  • No 1 overall in NHL
  • Team scoring by committee instead of only one line going
Now at Ottawa, trap game? And by trap I mean Ottawa's trap system. How can we exploit it? !

Pretty promising thread in Leafs land :laugh:

Reactions: PromisedLand

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Ottawa has a clear cut game plan...and everyone is dialed in. Ontop of that their big d man is back.

This is going to be a tough game for our boys.

How to solve the trap? Speed is my guess. Cause as many turn overs in the neutral zone....play dump and chase and screen the goalie while going for a ton of point shots.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
how do you post pics? I have no idea I wanted to post that its a trap pic

Edit

Copy the image address of the picture you want to post by right clicking the picture and copying the image address and then

paste the link between two texts called img and /img in square brackets.

[ img ] [ /img ]

disregard the spaces inside the square brackets

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Obviously, scoring first is the primary "trap buster". They play incredibly tight and structured, so that will be no easy task. They force dump and chase hockey, which puts an emphasis on the roles of Hyman and Komarov. I like that in our favour, as Hyman, especially, has been really proficient thus far.

We're going to have trouble generating speed through the neutral zone, so this may not be our prettiest game, but we have to find a way to get a couple of workman-like goals, and maintain discipline. Don't let Karlsson play conductor on the PP.

This is the kind of team we have struggled with. We're rolling, and the guys are feeling good about their game, so we have to make sure we stay focused and take the game as it comes, and be opportunistic early on.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
You can ride out hot goaltending and shooting percentages for a season. It's happened in the past with Colorado and Calgary doing it in back-to-back years. The Leafs also did it in 2013 and managed to do it for 75% of the season in 2013/2014.

Ottawa last year was bottom 10 in PK, bottom 10 in PP, bottom 10 in goals scored, only playoff team with a negative goal differential and also bottom 10 in shots against. If you think those are the markers of a successful team then I don't know what to tell you.

I will give them credit for 2 things, 1 is great goaltending, and the other is that they block shooting lanes well. Despite being 29th in shot attempts against/60, they are top 10 in shots on goal / 60. Meaning a lot of the shots aren't making it to the net.

Not a guy who follows the stats much, but you make some interesting points. But I also think by that logic, if they have for the most part just gotten 'lucky' they should regress considerably this year (just like Col, Cal and Tor the following years) and their off to a 3-1-2 start (3-0-2 without their best player and sweeping their recent road trip), so lets see, you may be right ultimately - I certainly hope so, I can't stand that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad