Speculation: Leafs not getting 2017 All-Star Game, Outdoor Game for 100th Season?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
There is nothing to this story.

Nothing. Uses a 4 year old reference. Lots has happened.

The game is coming. Delete thread IMO

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dont care about the All Star Game. I wont be able to afford an outdoor game (and this doesnt preclude us from playing in an outdoor game somewhere else anyways) so that leaves the draft, which I am thinking of attending if we get it. Love the draft and the atmosphere it creates.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
ummm, what exactly is wrong with Rogers Centre as a venue?

they did one at Fenway..

Apparently they can't open the roof in the winter because if they do they might not be able to close it again if ice gets in the tracks.

BMO Field will already be expanded (probably to around 40,000 seats) with temporary seating for the 2016 Grey Cup on November 27, 2016. Wouldn't it make sense to just leave the temporary seating up for an outdoor NHL game?
:huh:

Last edited:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Meh, don't really care about the All Star game, was at the one in 2000 & the game itself was boring as hell & the "fans" were just a bunch of corporate wankers. The skills competition was more for the fans & kids.

I would rather we host these events 4 or 5 years down the road when we're a legit play off competitor. Not that they are correlated, but I would rather our organization spends 100% of their time in the present rebuild & not the other crap.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Despite it being the 100th anniversary as a Toronto franchise, they've only been known as the Maple Leafs for 90 years. I can see NHL giving the one of the Draft/All Star/Outdoor game because a lot of other teams are celebrating 50 years in the NHL (Kings, Flyers, Blues, and Pittsburgh. North Stars too but I think Dallas will do something on their own).

Interesting. Maybe they're waiting until the 'real' 100th anniversary?
:dunno:

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
All Star Game would be fine - has nothing to do with how we're doing

Would rather not have the outdoor game until we're a good team again. It has nothing to do with a 100 year anniversary - if you want to sell out and get alrge attendance you should have a good team that has natural interest from fans

You don't think that the Leafs can fill any stadium you care to think about because they're rebuilding? I think you underestimate the depth of leaf nation.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Issue is the Dome might not being to open in cold conditions I think. Especially since the Winter Classic or Heritage Classic (whichever we get) is in the middle of winter.

I can tell you right now, the Detroit-Leafs winter classic was absolutely freezing. The Rogers centre with the dome open will do just fine.

Dont care about the All Star Game. I wont be able to afford an outdoor game (and this doesnt preclude us from playing in an outdoor game somewhere else anyways) so that leaves the draft, which I am thinking of attending if we get it. Love the draft and the atmosphere it creates.

No question i'll be at the draft. You can afford the outdoor game. I think I dropped $150 for my ticket in Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
I can tell you right now, the Detroit-Leafs winter classic was absolutely freezing. The Rogers centre with the dome open will do just fine.

No question i'll be at the draft. You can afford the outdoor game. I think I dropped $150 for my ticket in Detroit.

Except they can't risk opening the Rogers Centre roof in the winter.

Like everything else they will jack up the prices in Toronto.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
I think it's all but guaranteed that Marner and Nylander will both be on the Leafs opening night next year, and it isn't looking impossible for Stamkos to sign with us at this rate... I think we should definitely have all three events for our 100th anniversary, like c'mon! Ratings will shoot thru the roof even if we suck with all three of those players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Same for me, don't care about any of it.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think it's all but guaranteed that Marner and Nylander will both be on the Leafs opening night next year, and it isn't looking impossible for Stamkos to sign with us at this rate... I think we should definitely have all three events for our 100th anniversary, like c'mon! Ratings will shoot thru the roof even if we suck with all three of those players.

While I'm aware of past examples don't fit my narrative, the league would probably rather have the all-star game in Toronto when we actually have stars. Marner and Nylander won't be at the 2017 game anyway, and Rielly is still relatively unproven in the grand scheme of things.

Not to mention (as already been mentioned), that the league already decided to have the (silly) World Cup in Toronto, a few months before the 2017 all-star game.

I don't really care about these events anyway. I'm more excited about internal celebrations within the organization for our 100th year... like Legends Row.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Would be so funny if LA gets the all star game and TB gets the Winter Classic. While Leafs manage to sign Kopitar and Stamkos in the summer and then win the Cup and pick 30th overall.
That's would be a funny way to stick it to the NHL.

jvr-stamkos-marner
laine-kopitar-nylander
komorov-kadri-lupul
leivo-goat-winnik

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
ASG should be in Toronto.

All original 6 teams should participate in outdoor games. So 3 games, whichever match ups the NHL wants.

Pretty sure BMO will have all the renovations done by 2017, so it'll look nice and it'll be ready for an outdoor game.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
I don't really care for any of the fluff, but the NHL set the precedent in 2009 during the Habs' Centennial. You're not celebrating the name's Centennial, you're celebrating the franchise's. It would be a real smack in the face by the league if they didn't award Toronto both the draft and the ASG.

That being said, if neither are, then at least none of the other fanbases on HF could whine about the league's pro-Toronto bias anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad