Speculation: Leafs not getting 2017 All-Star Game, Outdoor Game for 100th Season?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
With the Leafs 100th season taking place next year (16-17), the Maple Leafs were expected to host the All-Star game, the NHL Draft, and an Outdoor game. Much like the Montreal Canadiens did.

However, it seems at least one of those things won't be happening.

Other officials have told us it looks like the Kings and one other NHL team are the final two clubs in the running to host the 2017 NHL all-star game. While the official announcement is not expected until early next year, it is believed Los Angeles is the front runner, as the league is apparently very receptive to holding the game in such a major market, especially for a team celebrating their 50th anniversary.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2015/11/kings-planning-trio-of-fun-for-50th-nhl-season/

And with the uncertainty of BMO Field and Rogers Center actual usage for an outdoor game still very much in the air, it's also possible the Leafs will be without an outdoor game for the 100th year.

Of the three events, the outdoor game presents the biggest challenge with no ideal venue in Toronto to host a Winter Classic or the all-Canadian version known as the Heritage Classic.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leafs-100years/

So it appears at this point that the only event the Leafs may get is the NHL Draft.

A tad disappointing considering how quick the league was willing to jump aboard the Habs 100th season celebration and gave them all the events.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
So the kings are a front runner because they are a large market and will be celebrating their 50th...

Meanwhile a much larger market will be celebrating their 100th..

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think a chunk of it has to do that we're rebuilding.
Even with LA's blip - they're still really good and all.

That's my best guess

With that being said: We're the 2nd team that is turning 100. we SHOULD be getting all the things. but i guess. we do get the World Cup so yay?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly, the World Cup is the ultimate All Star games. And kind of make sense that the League is giving the all star game to another team.
The Winter Classic is mainly due to without a venue. Honestly, BMO field sucks. While SkyDome is great with its capacity but even with the Dome is open, it's still not the same as an outdoor stadium.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
They can make it up to us by giving us everything for the 101st anniversary...

Really though it's kind of a low one by the NHL if nothing happens next year. The Leafs may be rebuilding, but the franchise shouldn't be ignored during that kind of milestone.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Would be so funny if LA gets the all star game and TB gets the Winter Classic. While Leafs manage to sign Kopitar and Stamkos in the summer and then win the Cup and pick 30th overall.
That's would be a funny way to stick it to the NHL.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
thats sad if its true. i was kinda looking forward to the celebrations. the kings are more important than the leafs?:shakehead

also i heard ottawa was getting an outdoor game next year (not winter classic, maybe stadium series?) cause of their 25th anniversary. bettman was seen having discussions with ottawa's mayor.

the 25th and 50th anniversary teams are going to get major events to celebrate but the 100th anniversary team isn't getting anything but the draft. can't believe we're actually getting stiffed cause we're rebuilding. smh.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
The link in the OP is far from legit. It looks like some fan run blog that thinks the Kings 50 year anniversary is the biggest thing happening next season...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The link in the OP is far from legit. It looks like some fan run blog that thinks the Kings 50 year anniversary is the biggest thing happening next season...

John Hoven is a Kings beat writer. He's legit. He isn't a "fan"

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Honestly, the World Cup is the ultimate All Star games. And kind of make sense that the League is giving the all star game to another team.
The Winter Classic is mainly due to without a venue. Honestly, BMO field sucks. While SkyDome is great with its capacity but even with the Dome is open, it's still not the same as an outdoor stadium.

How is the open Dome not the same as an outdoor stadium?

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Despite it being the 100th anniversary as a Toronto franchise, they've only been known as the Maple Leafs for 90 years. I can see NHL giving the one of the Draft/All Star/Outdoor game because a lot of other teams are celebrating 50 years in the NHL (Kings, Flyers, Blues, and Pittsburgh. North Stars too but I think Dallas will do something on their own).

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
All Star Game would be fine - has nothing to do with how we're doing

Would rather not have the outdoor game until we're a good team again. It has nothing to do with a 100 year anniversary - if you want to sell out and get alrge attendance you should have a good team that has natural interest from fans

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
ummm, what exactly is wrong with Rogers Centre as a venue?

they did one at Fenway..

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Would be cool to see the Leafs draft Nolan Patrick in Toronto and pretty much be set for the next 15-20 years.

Rielly
Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Chychrun
Patrick
Goat

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
And with the uncertainty of BMO Field and Rogers Center actual usage for an outdoor game still very much in the air, it's also possible the Leafs will be without an outdoor game for the 100th year.

So it appears at this point that the only event the Leafs may get is the NHL Draft.

A tad disappointing considering how quick the league was willing to jump aboard the Habs 100th season celebration and gave them all the events.

Just a note to use a little critical thinking here.

The sportsnet article used to cast doubt on BMO Field in this story is from 2011.

Since then, expansion plans have gone ahead. Your tax dollars have gone in to financing MLSE's expansion. So, yay about that.

Construction is underway to allow for expansion to 40,000 seats. The Grey Cup has already been awarded to the new stadium. The Argos are moving in and TFC fans are pissed.

The outdoor game is coming.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
will be really disappointing if all we get is the draft. 100th anniversary of an Original 6 club should get everything IMO. NHL dropping the ball big time on this one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad