Sportsnet: Leafs make Dermott, Kapanen eligible for AHL playoffs

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
So what? It says in the article, they are doing it ONLY BECAUSE; if the leafs lose in the Playoffs early ..

Kappy and Dermott can go to the AHL playoffs AFTER the leafs' playoffs are finished.

Reactions: hullsy47

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Why? Risk of injury?
Some of you guys are so beyond out of touch with reality it isn't even funny to joke at. Why in the actual f*** would our franchise center step foot on the ice with all those bush league players? AHL teams have 4-5 goons per roster. First of all its an insult to everyone involved, it serves no purpose, and has immense risk. Thats the definition of a bad idea. What the hell are we trying to prove? yeah we have the best marlies team in the world? During the lockout hall eberle and nuge all played on their AHL team and look how great it worked out for edmonton.... let the players rest and let the marlies handle the marlies.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Some of you guys are so beyond out of touch with reality it isn't even funny to joke at. Why in the actual **** would our franchise center step foot on the ice with all those bush league players? AHL teams have 4-5 goons per roster. First of all its an insult to everyone involved, it serves no purpose, and has immense risk. Thats the definition of a bad idea. What the hell are we trying to prove? yeah we have the best marlies team in the world? During the lockout hall eberle and nuge all played on their AHL team and look how great it worked out for edmonton.... let the players rest and let the marlies handle the marlies.

Your point stands, but your a little outdated on your 4-5 goons per roster.

The AHL has a 10 fight max rule now (similar to OHL) and fighting has been at all-time low the last 2 years.

Cheapshots still exist, and their suspensions seem pretty light, but it's not "Slapshot" down there anymore.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Your point stands, but your a little outdated on your 4-5 goons per roster.

The AHL has a 10 fight max rule now (similar to OHL) and fighting has been at all-time low the last 2 years.

Cheapshots still exist, and their suspensions seem pretty light, but it's not "Slapshot" down there anymore.
Close enough! Still not sending the franchise down there to get a stupid cup.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I'm obviously hoping we go all the way, but in the event that we don't go that far, they'll be a great asset to the marlies.
Probably not. I believe that after 160 NHL games a player needs to pass through waivers to be sent to the AHL. Marner for sure and Matthews likely will surpass 160 games by the end of the regular season.

I fully appreciate that that the posters who make these types of suggestions consider themselves to be smarter than most GM's, but even they should admit that losing Marner and/or Matthews on waivers would not be good asset management.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Probably not. I believe that after 160 NHL games a player needs to pass through waivers to be sent to the AHL. Marner for sure and Matthews likely will surpass 160 games by the end of the regular season.

I fully appreciate that that the posters who make these types of suggestions consider themselves to be smarter than most GM's, but even they should admit that losing Marner and/or Matthews on waivers would not be good asset management.
Yeah I would never want Marner or Matthews to be sent to the marlies. They have nothing to prove there and I think it would be sort of an insult to them. It would do more harm than good.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Some of you guys are so beyond out of touch with reality it isn't even funny to joke at. Why in the actual **** would our franchise center step foot on the ice with all those bush league players? AHL teams have 4-5 goons per roster. First of all its an insult to everyone involved, it serves no purpose, and has immense risk. Thats the definition of a bad idea. What the hell are we trying to prove? yeah we have the best marlies team in the world? During the lockout hall eberle and nuge all played on their AHL team and look how great it worked out for edmonton.... let the players rest and let the marlies handle the marlies.

Umm no.
Matthews along with others are way past the AHL. Its kind of sad you even asked why.

Are you guys loony? Why are you mentioning Matthews/Marner? This is only talking about Dermott & Kapanen, who both would probably love to compete with the guys they've played with for the past ~2 years

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Are you guys loony? Why are you mentioning Matthews/Marner? This is only talking about Dermott & Kapanen, who both would probably love to compete with the guys they've played with for the past ~2 years

I'm assuming you have Anish on ignore?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we have a tough tough 1st round match, we gotta have them ready for the marlies, any type of playoff run will do young guys good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad