Post-Game Talk: Leafs make a trash goalie look great, this is a recording. | 3-2 Florida in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
2021-22 Avs went 1-5-1 in their last 7 regular season games before winning their Cup.
2020-21 Lightning lost their last 3 regular season games before winning the Cup.
2019-20 Lightning went 3-6-1 in their last 10 games before winning the Cup.

The regular season is just a 6 month long revenue stream for the league. Once you've qualified for the playoffs and your opponent has been set, what's the point in sweating the results of any of these hockey games?
I agree but the problem is that. due to Bettman's playoff seeding system, your opponent is often known with 20-30 games to go, which makes for boring tedious hockey. It needs to go back to a 1-8 format to reduce the chances of this happening.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I agree but the problem is that. due to Bettman's playoff seeding system, your opponent is often known with 20-30 games to go, which makes for boring tedious hockey. It needs to go back to a 1-8 format to reduce the chances of this happening.

It's about to bail us out so I wouldn't be too mad at uncle Gary

We can possibly get home ice as the 5 seed against the 6 and will get to avoid the rangers who are on fire

Reactions: egd27

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Biggest take away for me from last night is Florida is terrible and if they do sneak in Boston will steam roll them.
Was hoping NYI would go on a bit of slide and end up facing Boston in the 1st round, but seems unlikely now

I’m actually surprised at the sheer amount of negativity after this game. We’ve been locked in a playoff spot for a while, are 6 points up on Tampa and still showed better intensity and dominated a team desperately fighting for their playoff lives. Outside of the 1st and last minute (and who gives a flying f about 3 on 3) this game was all Leafs. We also got a point and decreased the Habs chances at getting another lottery pick. Yes I hate losing any game too, but this is not the game to rage about.
Yes, they lost in dominating fashion, due to a couple of careless lapses........again

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Aside from TML vs TBL, what other series have been decided with 20-30 games to go?

Boston running away with the division (and no one else being good enough) was the reason that happened to the 2 & 3 teams this year, not the format.

Reactions: ACC1224

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The NHL plays 82 games each during the regular season to determine the 1/2 the teams 16 that qualify for the playoffs and the other 16 the don't.

The regular season separates the haves from the have-nots.

Just think about it: there are literally only 2 playoff spots, 1 in each conference, up for grabs with an average of 8 games remaining around the league. It's only Nashville or Calgary in the West. In the East, it's for all practical purposes Florida or Pittsburgh as any of the other mathematical contenders need to pass two teams which generally doesn't happen. For the balance of the league it's about 8 further annoyances before the playoffs or the off-season.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
My 3

1st Star Lyon, the guy was unconscious, stopped everything and owned the deuce

2nd Star. 34 really has the motor running now and with 8 games left I'd say a lock to hit 40 with an outside chance of dare I say 45! Whatever the final number winds up being he has to start playing the best hockey of his life for the next two months or more.

3rd Star. 78 T.J.Brodie super steady, he made the right plays got the puck up ice without a whole lot of loss of possession all in all the Leafs defenders as a group had decent games w/o too many blunders. As a group I think they'll be alright in the playoffs, they have some physicality now and some offense and they'll need both in bucketfulls coming up

I was singing the praises all season long, I was so impressed with how his game had finally blossomed, how he was in charge when he was carrying the puck, how he had started using his team-mates, how he had started sacrificing himself to make the best play instead of the best play that suited him, how he had stopped taking shifts off. I'd really like to see that guy back!

Will is vitally important to the Leafs success, especially when he's displaying a full 200 foot Pasta like game that he is definitely capable of, capable because we've all seen it this year.

I'm not going to take a strip off of him for that mind numbingly poor decision in OT that hung his team-mates out to dry and gifted a point to the Panthers. It's just that he can't do that anymore, that's a rookie error. It was ill conceived and selfish, he could have done something with it, but he didn't. Enough said.

Come back Will and come back soon, you have a shot at 40 goals and could still hit 90 points and in doing so give the Lightning a lot more to think about, more maybe then they can handle, but you gotta be that guy we saw up until about the 60 game mark. If you're just taking a bit of a rest then it's cool, but you've only got 8 games as your runway, thrill us Will.

Reactions: griffon1

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I gave this a like because you get what's going with the league. The pie in the sky solution is really a much shorter regular season which would cost revenue so no one would agree to do that. Maybe if there's future financial austerity in the U.S. it could happen but then the length of the NHL season would be least of our problems.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
1/16 format 2-3-2 in the first round and then 2-2-2-1

It's only fair to the teams that excel all season long, the teams near the bottom may have already been in a playoff race for the last 4 weeks of the season trying to make it in so they'll be ready to take on a team that's had a great regular season

if the season stopped right now you'd have;

Boston Calgary

Carolina Winnipeg

NJ NYI

Leafs Seattle

Vegas TBay

Rags Avs

Minny Dallas(battle of the North Stars)

Oil LAK

thats some really great 1st round match ups

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It's only fair to the teams that excel all season long, the teams near the bottom may have already been in a playoff race for the last 4 weeks of the season trying to make it in so they'll be ready to take on a team that's had a great regular season

Boston Calgary

Carolina Winnipeg

NJ NYI

Leafs Seattle

Vegas TBay

Rags Avs

Oil LAK

No East Coast fan wants to watch their Team start a playoff game at 10pm.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
No East Coast fan wants to watch their Team start a playoff game at 10pm.
it happens and if the team you cheer for is in......

we all wish the league took our needs into consideration, but with a cross continental league it can and will happen

Bruins Vancouver for example, I didn't miss a game, You can't go to bed at 1 and get up at 5 occasionally?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
it happens and if the team you cheer for is in......

we all wish the league took our needs into consideration, but with a cross continental league it can and will happen

Bruins Vancouver for example, I didn't miss a game, You can't go to bed at 1 and get up at 5 occasionally?
They have taken our needs into consideration which is why they scrapped the 1-16 in the first place.
If they get to the final that is a different matter.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Boston Calgary

Carolina Winnipeg

NJ NYI

Leafs Seattle

Vegas TBay

Rags Avs

Oil LAK

Shorten the season to 76 games (I prefer fewer games but Gary don't).

Each team plays teams outside their division twice (48 games).
Each team plays teams in their division four times (28 games).

20 or 24 teams make the playoffs. The bottom 4 or 8 teams in each conference play best of 3. 4 or 8 winners advance. Seed all teams 1-16 or each conference 1-8 with division winners getting the top seeds. All series are best of 7.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Our bottom 6 guys are coached to try and play like our top 6. Keefe cannot coach a 3rd or 4th line to shut down. With a 1 goal lead the puck is played along the boards and out. Your frigging D does not lead a breakout or even join in the rush.

896 save % is NEVER good enough.

Nylander is typical. He thinks he can be a showoff because he doesn't feel pressure, WRONG. He shows off because he avoids the pressure by not accepting it. His father was the same which is why he changed teams so often. Any real coach would NEVER accept that type of play. It is disrespectful to ALL team mates. Of course there are a number of players unwilling to accept the punishment that must be taken to win.

His father constantly changed teams to whichever paid the most....EXACTLY what William will do when the time comes..

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
In terms of win %, yes he is.

He's like 6th in winning % if you want to count over 200 games he's 2nd I guess.

Not a lot of coaches got handed what he did.

Tom Johnson is the winning % King atm

.738 and a cup

Out of the top 10 5 are active coaches weirdly. Only one of those active coaches has a cup

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007

Boston Calgary

Carolina Winnipeg

NJ NYI

Leafs Seattle

Vegas TBay

Rags Avs

Oil LAK

If we re-aligned to the covid divisions what would be the match ups....ah not worth it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's like 6th in winning % if you want to count over 200 games he's 2nd I guess.

Not a lot of coaches got handed what he did.

Tom Johnson is the winning % King atm

.738 and a cup

Out of the top 10 5 are active coaches weirdly. Only one of those active coaches has a cup

Should we just start dismissing coaches who win the cup with great teams now? Cooper is a bum.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Should we just start dismissing coaches who win the cup with great teams now? Cooper is a bum.

Yes 38-36 and 18-26-4 the year before and the year that he took over the team in the last 8 games. Definitely a cup team he took over.

Glad you could take time out of your daily dubas circle jerk to be wrong again though

Not to mention that the point of that was just informative to show where he is on the all time win percentage list but whatever we all get what you're here for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad