Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to the freakin chicago blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
First goal started with a terrible pass by Tavares.

Tavares just dump it on the board like they did a dozen time during a ga.e, kane just anticipated it... they didn't score because of it... it was a 2v2, no reason to allow that kind of quality scoring chance

Ite the difference between playimg agaimst best opposite playet and bottom 6... against good player they will make you pay

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tavares just dump it on the board like they did a dozen time during a ga.e, kane just anticipated it... they didn't score because of it... it was a 2v2, no reason to allow that kind of quality scoring chance

Ite the difference between playimg agaimst best opposite playet and bottom 6... against good player they will make you pay
It was a weak pass with Kane standing right there. All I said was that this is where it started.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It was a weak pass with Kane standing right there. All I said was that this is where it started.

It was just an offensive play who didn't work but its not whats giving up a scoring chance...the way tavares played didn't create a scoring chance against... it was a basic 2v2, no reason to allow a free clean shot from that area and it was liljegren who faced kane

He was too scare to be beat by kane speed on the outside than he gave up all the space kane want in the inside...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A fella I've met here is a Bruin's fan. Nice guy, and it's nice to talk hockey on a Saturday night with someone who actually follows the game. His take, fwiw, is that Matthews is a selfish player, and not one who leads by example, and not one who the team has rallied around. I know that's harsh, but I have to admit that in the past Matthews has done things I desperately disliked: the Montreal smile behind the net, and the game earlier this year where he let his teammates jump in for him when he was barking with 'someone' (can't remember who we were playing) and then after the initial, he re-ignites the flame and stands back letting others take care of business. I love his talent, but I question his desire. I'd add the same comment to Nylander and Marner. Brilliant players, oodles of talent, but at some point in the game you've got to stand up for yourself and prove to your team that you're willing to put it all on the line. I saw more of the passion from Matthews in last years series against Tampa, and maybe he's coasting a bit to get ready for the playoffs, but I wish to god he at some point will step up and smash somebody.

Winning 16 games in the post season is more about heart than skill. Each team has wonderfully skilled players. We're lucky, we get to see that skill in abundance. I sadly don't have the confidence in saying that our skilled players have displayed the heart that the other teams best players have offered. Nylander, a few games back, finally swatted at someone for roughing him a bit after a whistle. Keefe commented after the game saying 'ya, I liked it, do it a bit more' or words to that effect. Marner, skills for days, would gain another 3 feet of ice if he'd slash back against some of the shit he deals with. Playoff hockey is brutal, the most physically demanding team sport championship I can think of. I think one of the reasons Rielly is liked by the team so much has something to do with him defending his team. He's jumped in and fought for his team. Part of the reason Kadri is liked by so many here is that he did the same. You step up for the team. I haven't seen that from our best players, and I believe that if they did, if one or two of them did, the effect would be electric.

It was the essence of Messier, one of the finest competitors I've ever seen, and his record speaks for itself.

You mention Nylander's reaction a few games back ... some of these players must feel they're on an Island. Same thing, Engvall has got into a few over the years, but again on an Island. Clifford and Simmonds don't really matter, it has to come from Matthews, marner, Tavares, Nylander. This year how many of those 4 can we count?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
JT is liked and a well respected veteran. He has not led any of his teams to any kind of post-season success so being a 'great leader' is really just lip service.
If he was such a great leader would Dubas need to keep bringing in Captains year after year?
It’s been said that you can never have too much leadership. Matts Sundin has been praised as a captain by many including Gary Roberts and several members of the Swedish national team that he led to a gold medal, but early 2000 Leafs teams were swimming in captains. From 2002-2004, that included former NHL captains like Shane Corson, Alex Mogilny, Bryan McCabe, Joe Nieuwendyk, Bryan Leetch, Owen Nolan, Michael Renberg, Tom Fitzgerald, and Ron Francis, a former national team captain in Robert Reichel, and guys like Gary Roberts and Darcy Tucker and Gary Roberts who were captains in Junior.

I think when you start looking for hard-working character guys which many GMs are, there is a heavy overlap with captains.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A fella I've met here is a Bruin's fan. Nice guy, and it's nice to talk hockey on a Saturday night with someone who actually follows the game. His take, fwiw, is that Matthews is a selfish player, and not one who leads by example, and not one who the team has rallied around. I know that's harsh, but I have to admit that in the past Matthews has done things I desperately disliked: the Montreal smile behind the net, and the game earlier this year where he let his teammates jump in for him when he was barking with 'someone' (can't remember who we were playing) and then after the initial, he re-ignites the flame and stands back letting others take care of business. I love his talent, but I question his desire. I'd add the same comment to Nylander and Marner. Brilliant players, oodles of talent, but at some point in the game you've got to stand up for yourself and prove to your team that you're willing to put it all on the line. I saw more of the passion from Matthews in last years series against Tampa, and maybe he's coasting a bit to get ready for the playoffs, but I wish to god he at some point will step up and smash somebody.

Winning 16 games in the post season is more about heart than skill. Each team has wonderfully skilled players. We're lucky, we get to see that skill in abundance. I sadly don't have the confidence in saying that our skilled players have displayed the heart that the other teams best players have offered. Nylander, a few games back, finally swatted at someone for roughing him a bit after a whistle. Keefe commented after the game saying 'ya, I liked it, do it a bit more' or words to that effect. Marner, skills for days, would gain another 3 feet of ice if he'd slash back against some of the shit he deals with. Playoff hockey is brutal, the most physically demanding team sport championship I can think of. I think one of the reasons Rielly is liked by the team so much has something to do with him defending his team. He's jumped in and fought for his team. Part of the reason Kadri is liked by so many here is that he did the same. You step up for the team. I haven't seen that from our best players, and I believe that if they did, if one or two of them did, the effect would be electric.

It was the essence of Messier, one of the finest competitors I've ever seen, and his record speaks for itself.

For me, the organization is partially to blame for hyping up that 2016-17 Leafs rookie cast and creating the narrative that winning is inevitable, how dominant and skillful and wonderful our core players are. It's put a frontrunner label on them prematurely.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
No one brought up the reffing was a steaming pile of dog poo last night? Kerfoot high sticked, Holl hooked on his quad that sent him dangerously into the boards, the Bunting play? , there was a 4th obvious PIM missed.

Oh well you cant expect perfection in the best hockey league on this Earth, can you?

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
You mention Nylander's reaction a few games back ... some of these players must feel they're on an Island. Same thing, Engvall has got into a few over the years, but again on an Island. Clifford and Simmonds don't really matter, it has to come from Matthews, marner, Tavares, Nylander. This year how many of those 4 can we count?
I don't think any three of those four would even be able to withstand the rigours of playing Charlie's Angels in the series or the movie, lol. Maybe like movie stars they just need some stuntmen to do the dirty work.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Keefe is just keeping Samsonov's re-signing cost down in the summer ;)

I'm surprised they even played him

He's been sick and it's not like we're fighting to make the playoffs

I'd have been tempted to let him recover and either run Woll out on the B2B or give Kallgren a game

If the team shows up you still have a good chance of winning

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It was just an offensive play who didn't work but its not whats giving up a scoring chance...the way tavares played didn't create a scoring chance against... it was a basic 2v2, no reason to allow a free clean shot from that area and it was liljegren who faced kane

He was too scare to be beat by kane speed on the outside than he gave up all the space kane want in the inside...
I didn't say that was what gave up a scoring chance, just that that is where it started.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
It’s been said that you can never have too much leadership. Matts Sundin has been praised as a captain by many including Gary Roberts and several members of the Swedish national team that he led to a gold medal, but early 2000 Leafs teams were swimming in captains. From 2002-2004, that included former NHL captains like Shane Corson, Alex Mogilny, Bryan McCabe, Joe Nieuwendyk, Bryan Leetch, Owen Nolan, Michael Renberg, Tom Fitzgerald, and Ron Francis, a former national team captain in Robert Reichel, and guys like Gary Roberts and Darcy Tucker and Gary Roberts who were captains in Junior.

I think when you start looking for hard-working character guys which many GMs are, there is a heavy overlap with captains.
renberg was never a captain.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
If the Leafs lose home ice advantage, and then proceed to lose in game 7 in Tampa's arena, these gimme games will be seen as a big part of the reason why.

These games against bottom feeder teams just shows the Leafs have a superior than thou attitude. They don't think they have to play these teams hard because they aren't very good. In the end they lose valuable points in the standings and possibly costs then home ice advantage in the playoffs.

If they woulda won the games they shoulda, they coulda been a better team.

Reactions: Al14

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I didn't say that was what gave up a scoring chance, just that that is where it started.

If you considerate it that way, it the case every time you have to defend, thats started with a missing play or a mistake... i just dont understand whats the difference with that jt play

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
As I posted earlier, I believe the Leafs poor performance in "big games" is a bigger problem than their performances in nothing games against bottom feeders. The Saturday night game was the big game regardless of the record of their century old rival and they delivered big time. It would have been nice to carry it over to the next game less than 24 hours later (with travel) but it's an 82 game schedule and you have to play a large number of games in a lower gear to survive the season.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
As I posted earlier, I believe the Leafs poor performance in "big games" is a bigger problem than their performances in nothing games against bottom feeders. The Saturday night game was the big game regardless of the record of their century old rival and they delivered big time. It would have been nice to carry it over to the next game less than 24 hours later (with travel) but it's an 82 game schedule and you have to play a large number of games in a lower gear to survive the season.

The fact leafs play at the same level of worst team when they played against them its showing a lack of maturity.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

:laugh:

Keefe should A stated someone else B pulled him after the second goal. You could see he was off

Inexcusable to start him in that game.
No idea what the coach is thinking there, perhaps he wasn't.

Reactions: saltming
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad