Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose again to poverty franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
What annoys me the most about the entire Arizona situation dating back years and years is that if that team was anywhere in Canada and struggling financially and playing out of a Mickey Mouse collage rink Bettman would have it yanked out of Canada so fast it would make our heads spin

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
If Nylander, Matthews, Marner, JT… including Sandin, Lily, Holl, Gio, Brodie can all buy into this new and improved 2nd best GA avg in the league…

I think Reilly can do it too…

My god I hope he does… cause he is sore thumb who stands out right now, and those risky plays and bad gap control is what we have seen too much over the last 5 years.

Let’s give him a few more games and go from there.

Secondly… So we all see what Bettman does to garner more Americans to watch…

It ain’t a conspiracy… no way you call penalties on your team in a fickle American market. Always a bias vs Canadian teams.

They’re a few bad years away from having sexy girls in gogo dancer outfits serving drinks in roller blades at NHL games.

Don’t shove it down throats of people who don’t like it Gary…. You suck

Reactions: Enniskillen

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
In his first year I said Reilly should be a winger. He's not a good D-man. And years later, I maintain that.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
0-2 this year.
0-2 last year.

And Arizona is 18-4-2 vs us in the cap era.

That’s sad. What is our mental block against this team.

In the last month the Coyotes have

- Beat the Avs 6-3
- Beat the Bruins
- Shut out the Canes 4-0

Do I need to go on?

Yes the stat line is annoying but irrelevant outside of the media playing it up. To anyone in this thread losing their mind over this game they need to touch some grass.

Reactions: Jojalu and nuck

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd also like to point out Keefe chose to be an idiot last night too, and the moment he chose to be an idiot was the moment he chose to pull the goalie before he had possession of the puck.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don’t even need them to go to a Canadian city. f***ing stick ‘em in Houston for all I care. Anywhere where they don’t have to play in a College Arena and they make some money.

The whole situation is embarrassing. No other league would permit a major league franchise to play out of a school, and no other NHL team would be allowed to do so. Could you imagine if Ottawa asked to play out of Carleton’s or Ottawa University’s arena while they waited for a downtown arena? Bettman would ship the Sens to Hartford before they even finished the question.

Isn’t Arizona the only team in that particular TV market?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Isn’t Arizona the only team in that particular TV market?

Like, NHL-wise? I suppose (though Vegas is pretty damn close) but it’s not like the Coyotes are alone out there, with the Suns in the NBA, the Diamondbacks in the MLB, and the Cardinals in the NFL. Unlike Vegas the Coyotes weren’t first on the scene of a ripe market.

I’m sure the Coyotes could work in that market. If they’d had more stable ownership from the start they could be similar to Nashville. They haven’t for over 20 years and have been an embarrassment on and off the ice for 90% of their existence.

If the Coyotes get their new arena and manage to turn into a success that doesn’t make Bettman’s insistence on keeping them there right. That the Coyotes could make money in the future doesn’t sound all that appealing when they could be making money right now if they’d just moved them.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Like, NHL-wise? I suppose (though Vegas is pretty damn close) but it’s not like the Coyotes are alone out there, with the Suns in the NBA, the Diamondbacks in the MLB, and the Cardinals in the NFL. Unlike Vegas the Coyotes weren’t first on the scene of a ripe market.

It’s not about competition, it’s about a TV deal. If they are the only team in that TV region, they need to be there to keep that part of the TV deal.

I don’t know American TV regions, so I’m not sure if they’re alone…. But that would make financial sense, since that part of the deal would be worth more than some extra ticket sales.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I’m sure the Coyotes could work in that market. If they’d had more stable ownership from the start they could be similar to Nashville. They haven’t for over 20 years and have been an embarrassment on and off the ice for 90% of their existence.

If the Coyotes get their new arena and manage to turn into a success that doesn’t make Bettman’s insistence on keeping them there right. That the Coyotes could make money in the future doesn’t sound all that appealing when they could be making money right now if they’d just moved them.

Even if they started making money it would take them literally decades just to break even on the amount they've already lost to date. And that's if they start being profitable tomorrow and don't ever hit another revenue slump again.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd also like to point out Keefe chose to be an idiot last night too, and the moment he chose to be an idiot was the moment he chose to pull the goalie before he had possession of the puck.

Offensive zone face off with 2:30 left, and Tavares as the centre is a pretty good gamble. They actually won the draw and squandered possession. Nothing wrong with that decision.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t even need them to go to a Canadian city. f***ing stick ‘em in Houston for all I care. Anywhere where they don’t have to play in a College Arena and they make some money.

The whole situation is embarrassing. No other league would permit a major league franchise to play out of a school, and no other NHL team would be allowed to do so. Could you imagine if Ottawa asked to play out of Carleton’s or Ottawa University’s arena while they waited for a downtown arena? Bettman would ship the Sens to Hartford before they even finished the question.

Wonder if they should have pulled the plug on Phoenix life support years earlier, gotten their arena and ownership ducks in a row quietly and then re-awarded a brand new expansion team with momentum and deep pockets for Phoenix/Arizona 2.0?

Obviously this type of market and team situation is very rare, and may be a one off. But it's difficult to envision how this brand could be dragged through this whole mess and then flourish all of a sudden when it's languished for parts of 4 decades now.

Denver/Colorado worked the second go around under better circumstances, the Bay Area was better the second go around. Minnesota bounced back after a timeout and a fresh opportunity.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Wow one comment on the Leafs in the past month is obsessed? Why so hostile my man?
Throughout the Leafs massive winning run you didn't show your face around here once. Leafs lose off a struggling performance from your team's former goalie and now you decide it's time to make your reappearance.

Too transparent. Bye loser.

Reactions: Enniskillen

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It’s not about competition, it’s about a TV deal. If they are the only team in that TV region, they need to be there to keep that part of the TV deal.

I don’t know American TV regions, so I’m not sure if they’re alone…. But that would make financial sense, since that part of the deal would be worth more than some extra ticket sales.
Coyote fan checking in.

Phoenix is the 5th biggest US city (population wise) and 12th biggest US TV market. The Coyotes are the only NHL team in this TV market. Parts of northern Arizona (very small % of state population) might be in the Vegas TV market.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Offensive zone face off with 2:30 left, and Tavares as the centre is a pretty good gamble. They actually won the draw and squandered possession. Nothing wrong with that decision.

EVERYTHING was wrong with that decision you don't pull the goalie before you have possession of the puck

Reactions: Buds17

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
If you could stay to your own team's board that would be smashing. Zero need for you here to be fair.

Try that shit on the Sens board and see how long you last.

A Sens fan dissing another team. How ironic...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yup, I remember when I was younger thinking that Ryan Miller was the best goalie in the NHL. We could never beat Buffalo, same deal as the Yotes now.

"Rahh trade Morgan for a backup goalie on a hot streak"

I wonder how many posters were around when Nik Antropov our #1 center
For the most part Antropov played wing, but I know what your saying.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Losing to a contender by one goal is not a big deal but losing to a garbage franchise like the Yotes is unexceptable.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ya wasn’t a great goal but letms not pretend the time on the clock affects if it was good or bad that is ridiculous

Time on the clock absolutely matter a goal in the first or last minute of a period can kill momentum and so can a goal in the last 15 seconds of a PK.

I have no doubt that If they get through that PK they win.

But they didn't and that killed the momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad