Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner is not a good winger?
How do you get that from what I said?

I said "Tavares is a decent 2C now, as long as he has at least one very good winger."

So I'm saying that both Mitch and Willy are very good wingers, unless you think I was saying it's Jarnkrok who qualifies instead of Mitch.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think Tavares and Matthews would be excellent together. Just a thought but Tavares seems to do his best work in front of the net. Marner gets 0-3 shots on goal a game and I wonder how many are pp shots. This doesn't leave a lot of opportunities for Tavares to score rebounds or tip shots. Matthews gets lots of shots off... Which would be great for Tavares to tip, or sniff out rebounds.
Could well work out, but which is centre, and who then becomes 2C?

We already have a lot of complaints about a lack of a valid 3C. Let's not put our only two even decent centres on one line.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I think most teams, Boston included would likely play a lot worse missing their 1C

I think a few years ago with Kadri still on the team, we were playing Boston in the playoffs. They didn't have Pasta for the first few games, or Bergeron.

Either way, Boston always finds a way. We must find ours

We needed this game to show us our cracks,

Go Leafs!!!

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Ok i say this again. Boston fight harder for the goalie. A lot harder. 22 vs 10 shots blocked. WTF? The goalie must be the player u fight hardest for every game. Keefe should put a cone in goal next game with the text "yo mama" on and have the players block everything themself to show they realy want to win.

A little list of things about blocking shots that is realy important.
1 U take away a scoring chance.
2 U force the shoter to shoot from bad angles.
3 U make it frustrating like hell for the shooters on the other team(frustration= bigger chance to draw penaltys. )
4 U make life easier for your keeper.
5 U spark enegry to the team.
6 U show that u are ready to pay a price to win.
7 U become a closer team
8 U will become better with time in blocking shots without getting hurt
9 U Can feel proud of your game without making a single point
10 Ur team may get a special offer with all that extra cold spray u will need.

May all the double flamingos land and protect the nest. ( Not against Nylander he is one of the best players right now, but he 2 could block more shots)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think a few years ago with Kadri still on the team, we were playing Boston in the playoffs. They didn't have Pasta for the first few games, or Bergeron.
Pastrnak played 14 out of 14 playoff games against us.
Bergeron played 13 out of 14 playoff games against us, and the game he missed, we were already without Kadri.

Reactions: Arzak

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Leafs play scared. Scared to lay out big hits. Scared to fight. Scared of forwards forechecking the defence hard. Scared to stand up for one another. Scared to block shots. Scared to stand in the slot. Scared to shoot in the offensive zone (they'd rather pass it off to the perimeter) I don't think you can fix this without shipping players out. The sooner the better. Dubas better fix his analytics model to avoid building a team of wussies because he has no one to blame but himself...he built this house of cards and it's going to come down early in the playoffs.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I agree. My point was that the way Dubas tied up 50% of the cap on 4 offensive forwards we are built to trade chances but when the other team doesn’t allow them to do that it all falls apart
Totally agreed BY FAR da biggest error made was tying up 50% of CAP on 4 forwards .. i couldn't agree more .. it is virtually impossible to climb da Cup mountain with that makeup

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Totally agreed BY FAR da biggest error made was tying up 50% of CAP on 4 forwards .. i couldn't agree more .. it is virtually impossible to climb da Cup mountain with that makeup
That is exactly what Marchand was trolling the Leafs with.

Everyone that follows hockey knows that Matthews, Tavares and Marner have 3 of the 7 highest AAV contracts in the NHL.

What he was also point out that William Nylander making $6,962,366 AAV is also more than any Bruin forward.

1675438197354.png

So all 4 Leafs forwards that eat up 1/2 the teams cap all make more than the highest paid Bruin forward. So how can the Leafs compete when the Bruins have so much more quality depth and solid team when they manage therir cap and spread the wealth throughout ?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ok i say this again. Boston fight harder for the goalie. A lot harder. 22 vs 10 shots blocked. WTF? The goalie must be the player u fight hardest for every game. Keefe should put a cone in goal next game with the text "yo mama" on and have the players block everything themself to show they realy want to win.

A little list of things about blocking shots that is realy important.
1 U take away a scoring chance.
2 U force the shoter to shoot from bad angles.
3 U make it frustrating like hell for the shooters on the other team(frustration= bigger chance to draw penaltys. )
4 U make life easier for your keeper.
5 U spark enegry to the team.
6 U show that u are ready to pay a price to win.
7 U become a closer team
8 U will become better with time in blocking shots without getting hurt
9 U Can feel proud of your game without making a single point
10 Ur team may get a special offer with all that extra cold spray u will need.

May all the double flamingos land and protect the nest. ( Not against Nylander he is one of the best players right now, but he 2 could block more shots)
Not disputing anything you said, but there is another way of looking at it.

When you have the puck and an opposing player is coming at you to block the shot, you can shoot it and hope you miss him, or pass/dump/deke the puck away from him.

Part of the discrepancy, particularly when it's Boston, may be from their shooters making better decisions.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
This has nothing to do with pride. Our team has tons of pride. This has to do with you wanting to see somebody get beat up because you had your feelings hurt by something stupid he said in warmup that wasn't even true. That would just be giving him the attention he's craving, and hurt our team - playing right into what he wants.

I said a half century, not a century and a half. That means half of a century. 50 years. You seem to be stuck there, gushing with hazy nostalgia for teams that would get absolutely destroyed by the teams of today. I recommend joining the rest of us in 2023.
Do you really believe the teams from the 1950’s thru 1970’s would get destroyed by teams of today?
You’re nuts. They would pound the majority of todays soft, elitist players into the ground.
Do you see how physical todays playoffs are compared the majority of the regular season.
Imagine teams playing like that all season.
That’s the 1960’s and 70’s.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Do you really believe the teams from the 1950’s thru 1970’s would get destroyed by teams of today?
You’re nuts. They would pound the majority of todays soft, elitist players into the ground.
Do you see how physical todays playoffs are compared the majority of the regular season.
Imagine teams playing like that all season.
That’s the 1960’s and 70’s.
That's not every game in the 60s and 70s. That's your incorrect, half-century old, nostalgia-driven memory of the most memorable games and moments from the 60s and 70s.
They wouldn't destroy today's teams. Player and team quality has risen dramatically since those times, and the rules have changed.
"Pounding players into the ground" is not how you win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad