Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Remember this in Toronto ??

Leafs expect young stars to take less money to stay together​

Team president Shanahan hoping for long championship window in Toronto

Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan says the team expects its star players to make financial sacrifices to be part of what's hoped will be a long championship window in Toronto.

And that begins with the still-unsigned William Nylander.

Speaking at an event before the Leafs opened the NHL regular season at Scotiabank Arena against the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday, Shanahan reflected on his three Stanley Cup victories with the Detroit Red Wings as personal proof that taking a little less money can be worth it in the long run. "When I get together with some of my old mates from the Cup years in Detroit ... we talk about winning together and growing together, and that's what we remember," Shanahan said. "We all found a way to fit with each other so that we could keep adding to the group.

"That's obviously what we're asking some of our young leaders to do.".. "[Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas] and I have the same vision for what we want to continue to build here and make it sustainable," Shanahan said. "While these things are not easy to do, Kyle and I are on the exact same page as far as the things we need to do in order to achieve it.

"What I hope is they can look back on 20 years, 30 years down the road ... and what's going to be most important to them is whether or not they maxed out as an individual and a team and have championships to look back on and remember fondly."

2 out of 3 is not tooooo bad. One won a hart so to be top 3 paid in the league is reasonable the other is Nylander the bargain. Now what about Mitch maybe a little over paid because he doesn't have a consistent NHL shot. Bang for your buck who has been the best FA signing that we could have accutally gotten. ( just because everyone is romoured to come here doesn't mean they will) that could compare to JT.
You left out the flat cap, you know if we had the money those players would have been an old Bozak and JVR if Marleau never signed. Would you trade Bo and JVR for Tavares?

P.S. 3 out of 4 if you count JT the Sharks offer was real. So what you're saying is we needed a silver ball to predict flat Caps and Covid..dang that's a cold hard Hate on.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I can't believe some people are still talking about the Leafs contracts from years ago, as if anyone was overpaid. They weren't, and it's been proven time and again. If anything, we just got unlucky that these guys all had incredible performances before their second contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad