Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The thing is, we've seen them wilt away when they had a big meanie coach in Babcock too. At some point we've gotta accept that the core 4 are losers thru and thru. Keefe is a dogshit coach, but replacing him with Cooper wouldn't magically make the core 4 grow a heart
I think you are right to some degree. However, having a coach that coaches to our players strengths might help.

Keefe gets out-coached far too often IMHO. He can't make in-game adjustments to save his life.

Someone like Cooper might be able to get more 'heart' out of our players. That's just speculation until we see what a different coach can do with this core and team.

Treliving and Shanahan have to decide on a coaching change with the approval of MLSE.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
And yet, watch how quickly they'll penalize Reaves if he goons it up one iota. Remember how fast they suspended Kadri when he was a Leaf and he supposedly gooned it up against the Bruins in the playoffs.

Thats the NHL and how bias the refs are......

Its no longer a sport......but just entertainment ....

Reactions: theTTC

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I would be surprised if they don't. The odds weigh heavily in favour of the Leafs winning game 4. If they put in Swayman for that game, they are then stuck going back to Ullmark for game 5 as I can't imagine they will now stick with Swayman regardless of outcome - if they did that, what would have been the point of starting Ullmark in game 2?
What was the point if starting Ullmark indeed, that was a mistake imo……

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I think you are right to some degree. However, having a coach that coaches to our players strengths might help.

Keefe gets out-coached far too often IMHO. He can't make in-game adjustments to save his life.

Someone like Cooper might be able to get more 'heart' out of our players. That's just speculation until we see what a different coach can do with this core and team.

Treliving and Shanahan have to decide on a coaching change with the approval of MLSE.
when does cooper's contract end? nvm

Lightning sign head coach Jon Cooper to contract extension​

The extension keeps Cooper behind the bench through the 2024-25 season

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Yes, goalies are hard to get.

Sorry you don't want to hear it, but they are.

Even if you sign someone who is supposed to be a stud (like our current GM and Markstrom), it doesn't always work out.

I know they are hard to get, but if you are not using your picks to actively get one on regular basis. You don't get to cry "It's hard to get a goalie"..

Tough tit, twice as tough if you're not even trying ...

My point was, that they already had a goalie and got another because it's an important position. We got Foligno and ROR ,Simmonds etc ... because you always need extra leadership with this group..

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Someone like Cooper mightve gotten more milage and development outta them when they were moldable young men on their ELC's. But now? They are what they are.

Even back then I kinda doubt it. Tavares was always a loser with NYI. Marner and Nylander have dad's who are also divas. Matthews opted to chase the bag in europe instead of playing Jr's. The signs were there with all of them prior to Toronto

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What was the point if starting Ullmark indeed, that was a mistake imo……

Swayman leads the NHL playoffs in GAA and SV% and it would be shocking if he wasn't in net for game #4.

1714053450139.png

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
when does cooper's contract end? nvm
I'm not sure, however maybe he gets fired if the TBL lose to the Panthers this year in the 1st round.

Apparently, Cooper's family were TML fans when he was growing up. His father is from BC and his mother is from California, so he has dual citizenship.

I'm not sure he'd come to Canada to coach.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I couldn't understand why Keefe wasn't arguing or yelling at the refs, how are they going to learn if you keep quiet when the ref screws up. If I was the ref and no one argued I would think that I made the right call.
Don't deal with many officials, do you?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Its subtle but I see refs overlook a lot of calls against the Leafs but look at the timing on that Tavares call. Im sorry but the Leafs have to overcome factor x..the refs every year.

Reactions: Al14

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Didn't watch.

So curious as to Knies injury? 12:46 ice time.

Happen during the game, or an accumulation of the hits he's been taking?

Leafs were behind the Bruins in the standing for a reason, they aren't as good.

Playoffs, or regular season, the Bruins are a better team.

I wonder if I would watch more with a different cast of characters? Said it a few times, for me, this iteration isn't a likeable group. Lessor talented versions you/one could get behind and pull for. There isn't much "character", and I don't mean character as in upstanding individual, I mean in Tucker/Shack character.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I wasn’t there but by the midpoint of the game when they couldn’t make a simple pass, I felt like they weren’t going to get any momentum and it would take a fluke for them to win.
It was the same in-house - their powerless powerplay, and their inability to break out with anything resembling control & composure, just sucked life out of a building that seems to happen quite frequently

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Crowd seems pretty engaged when the team gives them something to cheer about.

Pretty hard to get excited about that PP, or allowing a go ahead goal 30 seconds after scoring.

Crowd has been conditioned to wait for the next screw up because it usually happens

Maybe if they weren’t 1-6 in their last 7 games at home, the crowd may not sit in dread of what will happen next
Just for the sake of debate / playing Devil's Advocate, but I wonder if the reason they are 1-6 is partly because home ice isn't really a big advantage to them due to how flat it is.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I'm not sure, however maybe he gets fired if the TBL lose to the Panthers this year in the 1st round.

Apparently, Cooper's family were TML fans when he was growing up. His father is from BC and his mother is from California, so he has dual citizenship.

I'm not sure he'd come to Canada to coach.
he has next year and thats it
so they gotta make a decision on him this off-season

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Just for the sake of debate / playing Devil's Advocate, but I wonder if the reason they are 1-6 is partly because home ice isn't really a big advantage to them due to how flat it is.
Pressure. They don't react well to pressure or expectations. At home, there's more pressure

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yea, I’m not getting this Swayman being amazing stuff

He’s been solid positionally, but it’s not like he’s been standing on his head.

Hell, they only had 16 shots in two periods that included multiple PP opportunities
Swayman vs Samsonov sv%.

Swayman has faced 66 Leafs shots after 2 games averaging 33 shots a game and let in 3 goals against, which leads the NHL playoffs with a .955 SV% and leads the NHL in GAA also with 1.51 GA/g.

1714053803533.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad