Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Crowd seems pretty engaged when the team gives them something to cheer about.

Pretty hard to get excited about that PP, or allowing a go ahead goal 30 seconds after scoring.

Crowd has been conditioned to wait for the next screw up because it usually happens

Maybe if they weren’t 1-6 in their last 7 games at home, the crowd may not sit in dread of what will happen next
I maybe remembering it wrong; but it seems like there was more buzz when the Leafs were first getting back to the playoffs those first few years. I think everybody is waiting for a change now and are humiliated this team is rolling it back again. Seems like management were the last people in the city to realize their model wouldn’t work.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I maybe remembering it wrong; but it seems like there was more buzz when the Leafs were first getting back to the playoffs those first few years. I think everybody is waiting for a change now and are humiliated this team is rolling it back again. Seems like management were the last people in the city to realize their model wouldn’t work.
The first round brings fear currently, not excitement. If they turnover the whole roster the cloud will still be there until they break through or miss the playoffs a few times

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
We didn't generate a ton last night
Neither did Boston at least 5 on 5 and the their 1st goal happened seconds after Marchand tackled Mathews and I don't remember who but there was a fight starting at center ice simultaneously to their goal. That goal was the turning point and one of the many reasons that they lost. Yes the Leafs power play was terrible, but 5 on 5 the Leafs were by far the better team.

Reactions: Al14 and Jojalu

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
You really think they’ll go back to Ullmark?
I would be surprised if they don't. The odds weigh heavily in favour of the Leafs winning game 4. If they put in Swayman for that game, they are then stuck going back to Ullmark for game 5 as I can't imagine they will now stick with Swayman regardless of outcome - if they did that, what would have been the point of starting Ullmark in game 2?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
PP

vs Boston

Game 1 0-3
Game 2 1-3
Game 3 0-5

vs Florida

Game 1 0-4

Game 2 1-3
Game 3 0-0
Game 4 1-2
Game 5 0-2

vs TB

Game 1 2-4
Game 2 2-6
Game 3 0-3
Game 4 2-4
Game 5 0-2
Game 6 0-2

vs TB

Game 1 1-6
Game 2 0-4
Game 3 1-5
Game 4 1-3
Game 5 1-6
Game 6 0-1
Game 7 0-3

vs MON

Game 1 0-4
Game 2 2-6
Game 3 0-4
Game 4 1-2
Game 5 0-1
Game 6 0-4
Game 7 0-2

vs CLB

Game 1 0-1
Game 2 0-5
Game 3 1-2
Game 4 1-4
Game 5 0-1

Last edited:

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
@JadedLeaf is a little baby who blocked me but comments on my posts lol

Special teams nightmares, Tavares, Samsonov and Domi's stupid play cost the Leafs tonight...

Leafs are clearly the better team 5 v 5 but can't keep emotions in check for whatever reason...
Where did I block you? I don't even know wtf you are or what your problem is. Grow up

Edit: Can you not tell the difference between a thread that was locked and someone blocking you? I don't even know who you are lmao

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We didn't generate a ton last night
We played much better than gam1

Game 1 i had to go watch different highlights to see what type of chances we got that were supposed to be high danger

Game 3 I can recall several strong chances by most lines. Marners line had a nice chance after their goal as well.

Matthews line had several good looks. Same with 3rd line

Swayman played great today vs game 1 where it was another day in the office

That said we cant finish shit still. Players fail to elevate pucks in tight arlund the goalie crease consistently

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Leafs had 5 pps to Bostons 3.
It's the Boston infractions THAT WEREN'T called that lead directly to 2 Boston goals that I had a problem with.

As a retired hockey coach, I want the rules fully enforced no matter what or who commits those infractions. Boston got away with quite a few infractions last night. At least 2 Boston goals were scored right after those infractions were missed/ignored by the Refs.

A big part of minor hockey that is emphasized is 'fair play.' Fair play is not just for the coaches and players, it also involves how the rules are enforced by the Refs.

Game management should not be an NHL thing with the Refs. The Refs SHOULD NOT be selective of which infractions to enforce, and when. The number of penalties already called should not be a factor. An infraction is an infraction at any time during a game !!!

The 2 referee system was supposed to solve penalties being missed. IMHO, the same amount of penalties are still being 'missed' with the 2 referee system.

Now, our Leafs having 3 or more power plays would likely have been mute giving how bad their PP has been. However, infractions not called still favored the Bruins when they scored 2 goals right after those infractions were missed/ignored !!!

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Would sure be nice to have a year where the special teams click for us. Seems like there's always some critical piece missing that screws us. Here's hoping we take game 4 back and some of the guys that have been struggling find their game again. Marner playing at 100 percent and Nylander back would go a long way.

Reactions: banks

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's the Boston infractions THAT WEREN'T called that lead directly to 2 Boston goals that I had a problem with.

As a retired hockey coach, I want the rules fully enforced no matter what or who commits those infractions. Boston got away with quite a few infractions last night. At least 2 Boston goals were scored right after those infractions were missed/ignored by the Refs.

A big part of minor hockey that is emphasized is 'fair play.' Fair play is not just for the coaches and players, it also involves how the rules are enforced by the Refs.

Game management should not be an NHL thing with the Refs. The Refs SHOULD NOT be selective of which infractions to enforce, and when. The number of penalties already called should not be a factor. An infraction is an infraction at any time during a game !!!

The 2 referee system was supposed to solve penalties being missed. IMHO, the same amount of penalties are still being 'missed' with the 2 referee system.

Now, our Leafs having 3 or more power plays would likely have been mute giving how bad their PP has been. However, infractions not called still favored the Bruins when they scored 2 goals right after those infractions were missed/ignored !!!
Yes, infractions are ignored. Welcome to Playoff hockey where this happens in every game, every night.

Reactions: Leafs4Life77

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
There's issues, to be sure. I can't believe the powerplay didn't convert, because it looked good early and made chances. But the lousy PP at the end of the 2nd (took a penalty to negate it) was dismal and turned the game. The spec2teams need to be better.

But that was a good close game. Anyone who is freaking out and saying "it's the same every year" is just scoreboard watching. The Leafs were the better team in game 3. They can still win this series.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Put a pure goal scorer like Robertson on PP1 when Nylander is missing? Nah, Keefe just throws out another net front guy to try and bang in rebounds that don’t exist because your only shooter is under weighted blanket like coverage.

The net front is so overcrowded. Count the bodies in front and body positioning and it just isn’t working.

Reactions: egd27

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Credit to Boston, they played a nearly perfect road game. They didn't give us much, and when they did they had Swayman shut the door. It's a game script that they will always have the advantage with given the tendy advantage and they executed it to near perfection.

I am incredibly disappointed with the lack of focus from our group. We had played an excellent game up until 1-0 and then completely lost focus. We can blame the refs all we want, but we deserved what we got. When you lose focus for even just a second against teams like this you will lose more often than not.

Goal 1, Sammy, I genuinely have no clue how goal 1 goes in on you. It ruined what was a good start for you. Completely unacceptable goal to give up.

Goal 2, you had the entire intermission to talk over how to tackle that 4 on 4 followed by PK, yet somehow you let Marchand walk in from the ladies tees untouched. Somehow he throws a terrible shot onto Sammy that should have been easily swallowed, and he burps it back out to Debrusk. Again, lack of focus.

Goal 3, Nice shot, but this group needs to find a way to not give up a goal immediately after tying the game.

So many good things happened with this team last night, unfortunately they are drowned out by the mistakes yet again. Its just heartbreaking to play a good game for the most part and come away with the same old result.

We need to have our best game of the year on Saturday. Need Sammy to bounce back.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Neither did Boston at least 5 on 5 and the their 1st goal happened seconds after Marchand tackled Mathews and I don't remember who but there was a fight starting at center ice simultaneously to their goal. That goal was the turning point and one of the many reasons that they lost. Yes the Leafs power play was terrible, but 5 on 5 the Leafs were by far the better team.
It wasn't a fight in the neutral zone. It was 2 players committing infractions against each other that should have caused the play to be blown dead before Boston scored.

Ignoring those infractions by both players favored Boston because they scored. That goal should have been waived off !!!

Reactions: hoglund and Jojalu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad