Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Probably. But we’re more of a finesse team and those types skill goals don’t happen as much during the playoffs. Usually tips, screened shots, rebounds in tight kind of goals. They just don’t have the time and space to play their finesse game. Especially Marner
While that's true other teams top players manage to fight through it and score. At this point this is who these guys are.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't think he's washed up. He'd probably be our best defenseman if he played on our team. Also he has 2 Stanley Cups

Auston Matthews was 16 when they last won their Cup. Phil Kessel was 6th in the league in scoring that season. Getzlaf was second in league scoring, Corey Perry was 5th.

Doughty isn't horrible but he's no longer worth his cap hit.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
This is not even close to being about one single playoff loss and you know that.
What's one more year? My point is that it's the same feeling every year. Disappointment immediately after. But then "cooler heads prevail" and the conventional thinking wins out that you can't part ways with your stars.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I like Naz too but he was suspended three playoffs in a row if you count his first season with Colorado. Let's not act like he didn't also f*** up both series against Boston in 2018 and 2019.
And those suspensions were bullshit. Leafs try to play squeaky clean all year and then when they ratchet it up the league doesn't like it.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
And those suspensions were bullshit. Leafs try to play squeaky clean all year and then when they ratchet it up the league doesn't like it.
I mean, he cross-checked Debrusk in the head. If someone did that to one of our players we'd all be wanting a suspension too. We can call it what it is.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The problem is they're a direct result of each other.

When your goaltending sucks you have to have everyone back and you sacrifice offense. Look at Boston, the reason they have so many breakaways is because their players don't all collapse back because they trust their goaltender to make saves.

If Edmundson didn't block that shot today, it would have went in the net. If Matthews wasn't standing behind Samsonov last game, Boston would have tied the game. The players don't trust the goalie and have to try and block every shot.

Where are teh Leafs going to find a goalie that will make "saves" at cheap AAV?

Price and Bob made cup finals but they are paid like elite tenders. Binngington had beast defense in front of him when he won the cup.

Boston has always has "team balance"

look at Leafs' defense and compare it to competent teams out there. Leafs blew their load on forwards with cap allocation and they are not producing.

Do you not see how flawed the team is yet?

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022

Yeah, we are the softest team in the NHL while at the same time being the dirtiest team in the NHL. It is all so tiresome.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
What's one more year? My point is that it's the same feeling every year. Disappointment immediately after. But then "cooler heads prevail" and the conventional thinking wins out that you can't part ways with your stars.
The point is that since this is still happening in 2024 means those "cool heads" that are prevailing are probably wrong.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Where are teh Leafs going to find a goalie that will make "saves" at cheap AAV?

Price and Bob made cup finals but they are paid like elite tenders. Binngington had beast defense in front of him when he won the cup.

Boston has always has "team balance"

look at Leafs' defense and compare it to competent teams out there. Leafs blew their load on forwards with cap allocation and they are not producing.

Do you not see how flawed the team is yet?

Let Woll develop. Go for Talbot or Driedger for cheap. Let's see what Woll can do healthy, and if they both suck, go for Ullmark next offseason.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I still believe in this Leafs team for some odd reason... they probably deserved better this game but that's hockey

I also still say Domi's play was a rally cry for the Bruins team because they were basically doa up until that point in the game...

Anyone who says the reason the Leafs lost tonight was because of Marner just that means that person clearly don't objectively watch Leafs games lol

7 game series margin of error is very small.

Leafs have to win 3 out of 4 remaining games to win the series.

I do like what Tre had to say on the TDL though. The "answers" have to come from within the locker room. So lets see if that happens....

Marner isn't being paid 11AAV to skate around like a moron. If he wanted to produce like this in the post season then he should have taken less so Leafs could have added more offensive depth to help the team score

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
PK and PP sucks. Either the systems dont work or the players refuse to follow the systems. If it is the systems, then just let the players figure someting up themself. Can get worse.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Nobody thought it was insane last summer
We must have heard different things. Because it quickly shifted to must re-sign everybody and run it back. People won't admit it now, but yes -- immediately after the Florida loss people said don't re-sign Matthews, they can't win with him, his contract will handcuff them. Or at the very least, play hardball with him. And within a week the narrative was must get Matthews re-signed and make sure he's happy so he will re-sign. You don't remember all the worry that Auston might be upset about Dubas parting ways so need to make sure Auston is feeling good and happy?

That's my point. It quickly went from can't win with the core, can't win with Auston. Don't re-sign him. Don't give him what he wants....to let's pray he's happy and will want to sign long term. Please Auston like us. It will be the same with Mitch when push comes to shove.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I mean, he cross-checked Debrusk in the head. If someone did that to one of our players we'd all be wanting a suspension too. We can call it what it is.
After he went knee on knee with Kadri and also almost pulled a Chara-Pacioretty redux on a respected vet like Marleau. Year before Wingels and some other schmuck tried to goon it up with Marner and double team him. Refs always let it go too far.

Reactions: pcruz

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How is Edmonton able to score on the PP with their eyes closed game after game and we struggle to get a single SOG on some PPs
The special teams is a f***ing joke. Whoever is in charge of that needs to get canned
All this star power and they are f***ing trash on the powerplay
Bc Oilers got a real shooter from the point while Reilly rarely shoot.
Oilers QB and beat any player 1 v 1 and can shoot and pass while ours is a great passer.
Both are trigger man are great, will give the edge to AM.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
After he went knee on knee with Kadri and also almost pulled a Chara-Pacioretty redux on a respected vet like Marleau. Year before Wingels and some other schmuck tried to goon it up with Marner and double team him. Refs always let it go too far.
I'm well aware of what happened. The hit on Marleau really wasn't close to that at all, he just lost his cool and wanted to defend a veteran teammate which I respect. Still doesn't change the fact that he was suspended two (three if you count Colorado) playoffs in a row, and put the Leafs in a shitty position back then both years. If someone on this team gets suspended on Saturday for the remainder of the series everyone will be on them.

Mar 26, 2010
Even if he was, who is going to score? He was great in game 2, mediocre in games 1 and 3. Our team makes so many dumb mistakes, he needs to cover up for more of those so we can try to squeak out a third goal.

I don't see the Leafs winning this series because our best players are not consistently impactful.
That too. The best players just can not score on Swayman. I guess that can be attributed to the Bruins structure as well. They are simply the better team.

Reactions: wingman75

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Hope you guys won. I miss my playing days... Now I gotta settle for coaching... Getting old sucks.
We didn't. But we put up a fight

I hear you brother. I'm 46 torn miniscus. Slowing seeing my game going south.

We are still in it. Being down 2-1 not the end of the world. We can still make a series out of it

But that PP .... if you had told me you have a 70 goal scorer and somehow our pp would suck. I would have never believed it.

Reactions: aingefan

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Let Woll develop. Go for Talbot or Driedger for cheap. Let's see what Woll can do healthy, and if they both suck, go for Ullmark next offseason.

This seems like a hail-mary plan IMO. Keep changing the goalies and see what happens while continue to keep about the same team who cannot produce especially the high AAV forwards.

Somethings gotta give here....

I don't mind Leafs taking a re-tooling route until Tavares is on the cap. But they really gotta commit to re-tooling. And that means Marner probably gotta go or you convince Nylander to waive.

I've seen enough of Rielly to say he is not upper echelon of #1D; especially in the post season.

Belief is one thing; but blind belief is dangerous !

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Sadly u can complain all u want about defence or goaltending every year but when you big dogs don’t show up and put the puck in the net u ain’t going anywhere.
Our team is all skill/offense guys and our problem every year in post season is offense so..

It’s cool when u watch Colorado and mckinnon shows he’s too good, watch Edmonton and McDavid and draisatl are too good, watch Tampa and kucherov shows he’s too good even in hard games.

Leafs fans do not know that feeling!!!
Forget their tier 1 players . Look at their secondary support

Look at Ranatanen and playoff numbers
Pointe and his numbers

We get nothing out primary players and secondary players

Reactions: PromisedLand

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We must have heard different things. Because it quickly shifted to must re-sign everybody and run it back. People won't admit it now, but yes -- immediately after the Florida loss people said don't re-sign Matthews, they can't win with him, his contract will handcuff them. Or at the very least, play hardball with him. And within a week the narrative was must get Matthews re-signed and make sure he's happy so he will re-sign. You don't remember all the worry that Auston might be upset about Dubas parting ways so need to make sure Auston is feeling good and happy?

That's my point. It quickly went from can't win with the core, can't win with Auston. Don't re-sign him. Don't give him what he wants....to let's pray he's happy and will want to sign long term. Please Auston like us. It will be the same with Mitch when push comes to shove.
The core 4 goes beyond Matthews who most wanted to keep. Moving Willy or Marner before their NTCs kicked in was the expectation for most, with JT being a pipedream due to his contract.

After that, the narrative moved to Tre didn't have enough time.

People did fall in love with Willys start so some were nervous on keeping him, but even then most of those suggest moving on from Marner

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. I'm not saying it's the right move. Just pointing out it is what happens.
Fair enough.

Didn't mean to bite your head off, we are all just tired of this.
We didn't. But we put up a fight

I hear you brother. I'm 46 torn miniscus. Slowing seeing my game going south.

We are still in it. Being down 2-1 not the end of the world. We can still make a series out of it

But that PP .... if you had told me you have a 70 goal scorer and somehow our pp would suck. I would have never believed it.
I am younger than you and i once threw out my back on a f***ing kid's swingset. I can barely skate but definitely cannot stop, and have been described as a "drunk giraffe meets the Tasmanian devil" when attempting to actually play hockey.

You are a living God on the ice compared to me. Hopefully that makes you feel better.

Reactions: fahad203

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad