Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Mar 26, 2010
He was better, but I think our breakdowns and inability to score are the difference.. could argue he (Swayman) is the reason for that.

Goal 3 for Boston is a complete breakdown where the Boston player is able to receive the pass, set their feet, and get behind the shot. Add to that the comedic things the Leafs do, like Matthews knocking Samsonov's stick out of his hands just before...

Our guys NEVER get that kind of time or clean look, and even if they do they miss the net or as you say, Swayman makes the save.
I do not see any road that leads to the Leafs winning this series now. Samsonov is just not it.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Yep, let's try the same personnel and strategy for ten straight seasons so they can go to the golf course just before April 30th every year.
What I'm saying is it will be the same pattern. Teams don't move on from star players because of a playoff loss. Immediately after, there's anger and people say there needs to be changes. Then as a few days pass, the thinking is they can't possibly not give xyz star the contract they want and must sign them. And that quickly becomes the popular thinking. There were people who after the loss didn't want them to sign Auston or at least play hardball. Within a few days, popular thinking was must get him signed. It will be the same with Mitch.

Reactions: Evilhomer

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Sadly u can complain all u want about defence or goaltending every year but when you big dogs don’t show up and put the puck in the net u ain’t going anywhere.
Our team is all skill guys and our problem every year is offended so..

It’s cool when u watch Colorado and mckinnon shows he’s too good, watch Edmonton and McDavid and draisatl are too good, watch Tampa and kucherov shows he’s too good even in hard games.

Leafs fans do not know that feeling!!!
Hard to blame the goaltending when they've been dumpster diving and neglecting the position for years. Like the saying goes you get what you pay for.

The Leafs have never had a significant goaltending advantage on paper in any series they've played in the Matthews era.

Reactions: Dragao6 and Cleetus

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
How is Edmonton able to score on the PP with their eyes closed game after game and we struggle to get a single SOG on some PPs
The special teams is a f***ing joke. Whoever is in charge of that needs to get canned
All this star power and they are f***ing trash on the powerplay

shouldnta traded away Yman. with FOUR goals he singlehandedly has more goals than the Big Four COMBINED will EVER score this playoffs

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
In fairness....the Kings suck. They're trash. Drew Doughty plays half the game and he was washed up years and years ago :laugh:
I don't think he's washed up. He'd probably be our best defenseman if he played on our team. Also he has 2 Stanley Cups

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I do not see any road that leads to the Leafs winning this series now. Samsonov is just not it.
Even if he was, who is going to score? He was great in game 2, mediocre in games 1 and 3. Our team makes so many dumb mistakes, he needs to cover up for more of those so we can try to squeak out a third goal.

I don't see the Leafs winning this series because our best players are not consistently impactful.

dynasty67

Nov 9, 2019
Well like I said. You can’t win anything with samsonov. He is just brutal. How and why leafs have yet to figure out without a goalie no chance. We ditched Freddy for way less than samsonov.

You know we took goalie Ian Scot one pick before Boston took Swayman??

Swayman single handed has been the series best player by far. Has won 2 games single handed.
Now that's very depressing.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
You said the Leafs were going to get swept, then acted like the team was great, and now you're back to this, so sorry if I don't take your opinion seriously. It's 2-1.
Don't worry, after Saturday the Cup parade will be back on schedule.

Reactions: bax

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
i'd bump marner to PP3
I will say with the last power play the Leafs had, I would have liked to have seen Domi out there for it. And the fact that PP#1 plays the entire 2 mins makes it worse that no one else gets a chance. But Mitch and Auston don't like to come off during a PP and that's not a fight Keefe wants to have so he keeps them happy.

Reactions: saffronleaf

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
What I'm saying is it will be the same pattern. Teams don't move on from star players because of a playoff loss. Immediately after, there's anger and people say there needs to be changes. Then as a few days pass, the thinking is they can't possibly not give xyz star the contract they want and must sign them. And that quickly becomes the popular thinking. There were people who after the loss didn't want them to sign Auston or at least play hardball. Within a few days, popular thinking was must get him signed. It will be the same with Mitch.
This is not even close to being about one single playoff loss and you know that.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs pay premium AAV for offense to just 4 forwards. Next season it will be 11+ AAV for 4 forwards

And here is teh record:

Goaltending is definitely something that should be addressed but so is offensive production, defense and team structure/balance

forward heavy cap allocation has done nothing but be an absolute knife in the back of the Leafs. And it starts with ShanaCON

The problem is they're a direct result of each other.

When your goaltending sucks you have to have everyone back and you sacrifice offense. Look at Boston, the reason they have so many breakaways is because their players don't all collapse back because they trust their goaltender to make saves.

If Edmundson didn't block that shot today, it would have went in the net. If Matthews wasn't standing behind Samsonov last game, Boston would have tied the game. The players don't trust the goalie and have to try and block every shot.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Someone once said defense and goaltending win the playoffs and for 8 years the Leafs have insisted they don't need any of that to win and to prove it they'll do the opposite by focusing on a few highly-paid forwards to carry the team.

And for 8 years they done nothing but lose.

Maybe this Summer it's time to accept defeat, and rebuild the roster starting from the net out?

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Could have kept both Hyman and Kadri instead of Tavares

That contract crippled us and the core has peaked at a 1st round win

I will say this until my dying day... The way this organization and specifically boy wonder treated Kadri was despicable. A real team would have rallied around Kadri's actions, not made him a scapegoat. Kadri telling his detractors to kiss his ass was chefs kiss. God bless him... I am looking forward to reading his book. Easily my favorite Leaf right up there with Tucks and Wendel.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I will say this until my dying day... The way this organization and specifically boy wonder treated Kadri was despicable. A real team would have rallied around Kadri's actions, not made him a scapegoat. Kadri telling his detractors to kiss his ass was chefs kiss. God bless him... I am looking forward to reading his book. Easily my favorite Leaf right up there with Tucks and Wendel
I like Naz too but he was suspended three playoffs in a row if you count his first season with Colorado. Let's not act like he didn't also f*** up both series against Boston in 2018 and 2019.

Reactions: wingman75

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is really a game of inches. If you add all the inches together, it is the difference between winning and losing.
If AM didn’t hit that post, the game would had been completely different.
A few inches lower, JT would had the opening goal.
A few inches higher, Marchand would not had score the GWG.

Personally, emotion got better of the Leafs tonight. They got way too excited chasing the big hits, sending messages when they took the lead.
And tied the game.

They need to learn that they can beat Bruins by playing their game.
Most importantly, they need to score on their PP.
we can blame goaltending or refs or Calle being Kerfoot 2.0(can’t score), but you can’t go 0-3 in PP esp when the game was tied and getting a penalty on the PP. If they only score once and didn’t take that penalty, that would be the game.

I am disappointed they lost today as it was a game they could had won but they didn’t lose this game themselves as much as Bruins was more clutch.
Gotta give credits to the Bruins for just being clutch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad