Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-2 to Pittsburgh.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I hope bell/rogers vetos any Nylander trade unless willy is asking ridiculous money for his next contract. regardless dubas should not be the one making those moves.
If it comes to that they'll just fire him. Kinda wish we had an owner with some balls. I mean, the Houston Astros just fired their GM after winning a world series because he ran his mouth about the owner. The Leafs GM loses the team potentially tens of millions of playoff revenue each year because he's afraid to make a change or is simply too stubborn in his "we can and we will" attitude towards the players ... who basically give him the finger in response with their many embarrassing performances

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If it comes to that they'll just fire him. Kinda wish we had an owner with some balls. I mean, the Houston Astros just fired their GM after winning a world series because he ran his mouth about the owner. The Leafs GM loses the team potentially tens of millions of playoff revenue each year because he's afraid to make a change or is simply too stubborn in his "we can and we will" attitude towards the players ... who basically give him the finger in response with their many embarrassing performances

Not only has dubas been a GM for some of the most embarrassing moments in recent Leafs history (zamboni driver, montreal colours on CN tower, CBJ series, respect in the handshake line, etc…)

He is also the lone GM in the entire league with a bunch of AGMs, fully dedicated and funded analytics department, other costs, etc…

Even from a straight up business pov it’s amazing that ownership has no issue in increasing their costs with not a lot of revenue

the only revenue increase is inflated ticket prices and ducking 50 bucks for 2 beers at the game

With inflation and potential recession on the cards i wonder how many people will continue to buy tickets

I for one am not buying anything recently because it’s to ducking expensive

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
this is where i don’t agree. Leafs need to get new management in so at the TDL we have grown ups and competent management group managing the sale of pending UFAs and get assets
I don't think we're selling assets at the TDL to be honest. This team will either comfortably be in a playoff spot by then or in the race for one of the spots.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I would assume at least in the interest of self benefit as pending UFAs they will work hard to earn a solid next contract. Doesn’t seem to be the case. IMO it all boils down to accountability

The coach holds some players accountable and others not

If they can’t get equal pay they at least hope for equal treatment and standards

Good hockey franchises are built that way
1) Character
2) Accountability
3) One for all and all for one attitude

Thé culture that has been fostered by Dubas is the primary reason IMO for the Leafs’ failures
I agree that the team culture is the root issue. Dubas has made all the easy choices, anyone can justify the moves he has made because they were easy to make. He never stepped back to think if it was the right decision at an overall organization level. Kadri, it was easy since the media laid out the red carpet for him. Tavares wanted to sign here. Marner/Matthews/Nylander were drafted so of course you have to sign them to whatever they want. The list goes on. A total amateur like me could see signing Tavares at the time would hurt the ability to round out the team into the future, how the hell was Dubas being paid to make these decisions?

As much as I dislike Boston I do appreciate how they dealt out good players over the years who didn't fit what they wanted to build (before their recent bs at least).

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Leafs played a strong game and simply lost in a hard fought game.

Leafs goaltending likely the main reason behind the loss.

Just saying, I've been hearing about the out-goaltended thing for many years now. At some point, it has to be a different answer doesn't it?

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't think we're selling assets at the TDL to be honest. This team will either comfortably be in a playoff spot by then or in the race for one of the spots.

this is where i think leafs brass gotta change their approach

Leafs ain’t gonna accomplish much in the playoffs with this roster

we are going to let UFAs walk again. might as well get something for them at the TDL and do a proper retool in the summer with more assets in the bag to work with and new management group

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I agree that the team culture is the root issue. Dubas has made all the easy choices, anyone can justify the moves he has made because they were easy to make. He never stepped back to think if it was the right decision at an overall organization level. Kadri, it was easy since the media laid out the red carpet for him. Tavares wanted to sign here. Marner/Matthews/Nylander were drafted so of course you have to sign them to whatever they want. The list goes on. A total amateur like me could see signing Tavares at the time would hurt the ability to round out the team into the future, how the hell was Dubas being paid to make these decisions?

As much as I dislike Boston I do appreciate how they dealt out good players over the years who didn't fit what they wanted to build (before their recent bs at least).

Bruins complete messed their 2015 draft

they traded seguin and still didn’t miss a beat and had multiple deep playoff runs with appearance in the SCF against the blues

Reactions: Cleetus

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Pittsburgh had a lot of jump last night. If they skate like that every game they will end up with an excellent record.
It seemed like eventually the Pens would run out of gas and the leafs would take over but it simply didn’t happen.
I don’t think this team is a contender (once again) but with a little more effort they can start winning more of these regular season games. This is a solidly, above average, not too bad, not too good, roster. It needs something

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gents da pregame last night was best one I have ever seen at a Leaf game .. well done by MLSE PR folks .. when Sittler starting crying I gotta admit da tears were flowing for me too .. i thought it would be too much for me and it was .. another pregame tonite with Borje OMG i don't know if I can handle it .. but I will be there to give him my best .. a Leaf legend of da highest .. Legends row baby .. now for da game and i was sickened by Matty again last night absolutely sickened .. to honour Borje like that i gotta admit da thought of trading him off crossed my mind quite a few times in 2nd and 3rd .. to make a decision like he did to get caved like he did by Crosby with f*ckin ZERO fight back at all .. maybe Crosby is faster (I know Malkin still is) but that was absolutely pathetic .. to watch our leafs get caved down middle of ice that easily made me sick .. you can't even talk about wingers or D or G when you get that badly caved down middle of ice .. lucky i ain't coach cause I would have told Matty and JT to undress and watch 3rd from press box .. and I couldn't give 2 sh*ts what anyone would say .. everyone in building was last was completely disgusted by effort of Matty and JT .. that is not how you perform as a pro and supposed team leaders .. i call BS on them both .. and i would tell it to both of them privately too

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
actually what they need is competent management group and this is where bell/rogers can make decisive action and clean out the garbage accumulated by shanahan

people or i should say Leafs fans aren't upsent or angy because they are losing; they are angry because of the way the players are playing on ice. There is no effort, there is no emotion, there is no purpose to their play. Its almost like there are guys who dawn the skates as a hobby for 3 hours every 2nd day or so and then go back to their own lives.

I find it funny when people rag on leafs fans (especially on here)for being demanding.

People would be more forgiving if they gave effort but we're just not good enough that's something that's easier too fix and more understandable.

Blaming the fans for wanting to have all 3 of the top 10 highest paid players in the league show up and care for more then 40-50% if their games isn't a very high bar of expectation

It's a cop out to blame the fans.

JT and willy at he moment give effort and play good hockey.

The 3rd and 4th line and Robertson at least try.

Matthews and Marner maybe care but they don't care enough to give Maximum effort or fix mistakes that they've been making for years ( in marners case)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Gents da pregame last night was best one I have ever seen at a Leaf game .. well done by MLSE PR folks .. when Sittler starting crying I gotta admit da tears were flowing for me too .. i thought it would be too much for me and it was .. another pregame tonite with Borje OMG i don't know if I can handle it .. but I will be there to give him my best .. a Leaf legend of da highest .. Legends row baby .. now for da game and i was sickened by Matty again last night absolutely sickened .. to honour Borje like that i gotta admit da thought of trading him off crossed my mind quite a few times in 2nd and 3rd .. to make a decision like he did to get caved like he did by Crosby with f*ckin ZERO fight back at all .. maybe Crosby is faster (I know Malkin still is) but that was absolutely pathetic .. to watch our leafs get caved down middle of ice that easily made me sick .. you can't even talk about wingers or D or G when you get that badly caved down middle of ice .. lucky i ain't coach cause I would have told Matty and JT to undress and watch 3rd from press box .. and I couldn't give 2 sh*ts what anyone would say .. everyone in building was last was completely disgusted by effort of Matty and JT .. that is not how you perform as a pro and supposed team leaders .. i call BS on them both .. and i would tell it to both of them privately too

Malkin can still play!

As long as he stays healthy he's PPG+.

Just has had a lot of injuries recent years.

I like he has a nasty side to him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Malkin can still play!

As long as he stays healthy he's PPG+.

Just has had a lot of injuries recent years.

I like he has a nasty side to him.
He was clearly best man on ice on either team last night .. Willy had a few shifts too .. lets hope Matty and JT show up tonite .. if I see another effort like last night from Matty then I will personally start to BOOOOOOOO Matty .. sorry I pay too much $$$ in tickets and sponsorship each and every year for that level of effort

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Matthews has checked out and looking forward to playing somewhere in the US Southwest soon.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
if am not mistaken Leafs are the only team in the entire league that has 3 players with double digit AAV (cap hits). The players were rewarded with big money without any success in the playoffs and without any term (5 years for Matthews and 6 years for Marner).

there is no cap left to "construct" the team with quality depth both on offense or defense
Maybe they just got them mixed up.

7 years for Matthews and 5 for Tavares sounds much better.

Also I'd rather be paying Nylander $11 and Marner $7.

Actually, I'd rather be paying Matthews $10, Nylander $9, Tavares $8, and Marner $6, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Just saying, I've been hearing about the out-goaltended thing for many years now. At some point, it has to be a different answer doesn't it?
Goaltending will be a problem as long as Dubas is the GM. I think it’s fair to say that he has no idea about goaltending and it appears that it is low on his priority

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad