Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2 in OT

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Imagine if NYI were missing Pulock (part of game), Pelech and Dobson, and then also Sorokin and Varlamov had played their last game so an AHL goalie was filling in.

That's what we were dealing with last night.
excuse-file-excuses.gif

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Imagine if NYI were missing Pulock (part of game), Pelech and Dobson, and then also Sorokin and Varlamov had played their last game so an AHL goalie was filling in.

That's what we were dealing with last night.

NYI were missing 3 X $11 mil players like Matthews, Tavares, and Marner.

You seem to be emphasizing the importance of good teams are "Built from the goalie out, through strong defense ... "

Would you rather have Matthews, Tavares and Marner or Pulock, Pelech and Dobson with strong goaltending, as it seems the later is more important to winning? :)

It is amazing that Leafs have 1/2 their cap combined in 4 forwards and they lead the league in 3-3 OT losses with 5.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's almost like we have no clue how to play hockey in OT
It's a real mystery for sure
Keefe with a head scratching decision.
To listen to the LeaFland community coaches and start 34 88 and not 91 16, yeppers I agree
Hopefully this is it!!! Fire management!!! Another embarrassing loss. CLEAN HOUSE
A considered opinion that is fair and balanced delivered with an air of gravitis and cool logic👍👍
Can’t wait to see people blame this loss on Marner lol.

Fact of the matter is Nylanders turn over and back to back icing killed any momentum. I’ve noticed in OT, Matthews stays out there way too long.
I'm surprised it's not all Holls fault
Is Marner betting against himself in OT?
It's the beauty of Bet365
I was trying to remember the last icing I had witnessed during three on three and I actually can't think of any. At any level. We did it twice in once sequence... same player.. that has to be a new record.
All kidding aside not even me who didn't make it past OHA JrB, would have never tried the first pass and definitely not the second, had I done so I would've just headed for the dressing room, handed in my uniform and equipment and just headed home.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

You seem to be emphasizing the importance of good teams are "Built from the goalie out, through strong defense ... "

Would you rather have Matthews, Tavares and Marner or Pulock, Pelech and Dobson with strong goaltending, as it seems the later is more important to winning? :)

1669132125099.png

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

It is amazing that Leafs have 1/2 their cap combined in 4 forwards and they lead the league in 3-3 OT losses with 5.
They all play under the same cap, no? Doesnt look like the Isles are dealing with the injuries the Leafs are though and they were thoroughly outplayed on their way to a 3on3 win.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Leafs were dominating until the third IMO where the Islanders started to play a lot more aggressive and then ended up tying and eventually winning the game.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This is genuinely the worst OT team I've ever seen

Think he was 3rd out but he should never be out IMO.
I agree but Rielly want available, and who knows Sandin looked a little worse for wear, Gio maybe isn't the right choice, Liljegren had just come off. I suppose he could have gone with a forward, but which one? Malgin, Kampf, Kerf, Bunts, Engvall? See what I mean
Not going to win many games scoring just two goals.
No this is very true, Soroykin is the real deal he is the next great goaltender, he may actually have more upside than Pekka Rinnes peak.
Goalie gave it away.
Unfortunately yes, I think the kid was caught up in the moment. The guys had been playing big boy hockey all night and he wanted to contribute to it. He was probably pretty excited in holding on to the 1 goal lead. He'll guaranteed never do it again. All in all he gave a great effort on the night only to have it nullified by his unforced error.
Hole is back at it again wow such a useless defence man why is he not sent down to try to make it in the ahl
Yeah OK right
Glad to see willy benched for that.. but cause the goal was so quick after marners giveaway does he get benched first shift next game?

If there is anything keede can be justified in losing his shit at them and screaming and swearing it is their OT play.
Only as long as he chooses the right words

He can whip them but what good would it do, Matthews is already somewhere else in his head, Mitch is probably so down on himself you don't need to pile on and Willie sometimes, and I won't lie, I wonder if he really cares about anything other than Willie. The second icing is just curious, he looked like he'd had enough and just fired a cross ice and up bank pass with little chance of connecting.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
he “bailed” them out after giving the islanders the easiest gift of a goal an echler could

It was his fault we are in OT, and I don’t really care about the excuse that the leafs only scored 2 goals. The islanders shot quality should’ve had them getting shut out.
Shot going 5 feet wide and a shit-filled gift from kallgren

He isn’t a major league hockey goaltender
It took me awhile to figure out what a "echler" was, I thought that it was like a disambugation as in "eichel" or something like that, but I get it now. ECHL'er, God I'm a maroon sometimes

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Better team lost .. it happens sometimes .. but blaming it on rook tender makes me LOL .. that OT snipe was going in on anyone in league (perfect snipe - velocity, aim and quickness of delivery perfect) ... now da blind passes by Willy and Mitch in OT were BAD errors .. and tenders mistake on giveaway late in 3rd to tie game oh well rooks make errors .. no worries on that game folks it happens over a pro season .. more concerned about our D core then anything else .. wake up Dubie time to get us a couple D men ASAP

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not sure why we have forgotten how to play 3 on 3 this season. Perhaps this is an issue Keefe should focus on more in practice as we've dropped an inordinate amount of points so far.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I watched the replay multiple times, and it clearly was not. Kallgren was beat clean.

As much as I hate Holl, he was fine on the play.
Yes but LeaFlanders need their confirmation bias, if they don't create enough of it for themselves they develop hives.
Strongly agreed there. I think Matthews malfunction actually played a big part in Nylander looking bad. But also situationally why are you spamming the stretch pass when it’s clear you need a change? AM34 isn’t going to speed burst even if he got there to receive the pass.
What I don't get is Matthews not even making the slightest effort to touch it, he couldn't have been that gassed, it looked like he couldn't be bugged. I know Willie was gassed but trying to connect on two 70 foot passes in OT is careless, no other word describes it.
I thought the Leafs played well. OT was of course epically bad. We are thinking so much in OT it looks like we are not thinking at all.
They were solid tonight and it was up and down the lineup. If not for a few unforced errors, the Leafs had the two points going away.
We're talented enough
The boys just lose the ability to play hockey whenever it's 3v3

You would think we're made for that format
Weird
It's puzzling to say the least

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Looked more like Sandin was hitting Wahlstroms fist with his face. :laugh:
I didn't like the sou-plex he pulled at the end, he could have really hurt Sandin, and the knee on knee wasn't an accident either. DoPS needs to look at both of those things and at the very least fine him for each.

But hey Edler almost ends McJeebuzz season and not a peep. Damned NHL, if no one is hurt then no problem carry on as usual, keep doing dangerous things until we have somebodies career ended.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Someone told me last night that Kallgren was elite.

I can't name names, but I was pretty shocked.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Not sure about Matthews or Marner, but I'd happily trade Tavares for any one of those three.

Reactions: hotpaws and arso40

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Must be nice to have something about the real game to hang ones hat on as a fan, instead of loser boring stats. We Leaf fans used to be proud of stuff like this, now we've been shouted down and out, and Dubas has doubled down on no-hit video game hockey.

"Clutterbuck says that the Wahlstrom fight was what turned the game for #Isles. Credits how much work Wahlstrom did this summer and for him to fight, it created a spark."

"Cal Clutterbuck set the NHL record for most hits in a career with 3,635 during the win over the Maple Leafs on Monday. Clutterbuck had nine hits during the overtime win to set the record."

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Leafs were dominating until the third IMO where the Islanders started to play a lot more aggressive and then ended up tying and eventually winning the game.
So you're saying that all teams have to do is play playoff hockey and the Leafs will lose? Lucky for you we have years of proof that your thesis is 100% accurate.

Do it man. Name names. We have a very divided group now. doesn't matter if all like each other
Start pointing fingers
It's been widely bandied about that snitches as a result of their actions, have sometimes been known to get stitches.

giphy (9).gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad