Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I was pretty apathetic coming into this one, and by the looks of it, so were the Leafs. I have to admit, though... by the end, I wanted to win.:laugh: It would have been sweet to silence that crowd. The Devils were really leaky defensively in those final minutes but the puck just didn't seem to want to bounce our way, both with those goal crease scrambles and especially with the goalie pulled, with usually sure handed stick handlers like Marner or Gardiner bobbling/had the puck bounce over their sticks. Good for NJ, I guess. We were celebrating just as hard last year against Pittsburgh. From our point-of-view, nobody got hurt and Willie potted his 20th, so it's an okay night for a meaningless Game 81.

Last edited:

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
No injuries = a huge victory

Game 82 couldn't come soon enough so the team can finally play some playoff hockey!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Just need to be better. Certainly a playoff like atmosphere but the Leafs couldn’t rise to it. Hopefully once the playoffs are really going on that will be a different story. They can play better, but have to go out and do it.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Meaningless game for the Leafs, yet they almost stole one from the hungriest team in the league tonight with their season on the line and the refs going blind in the last 10 minutes.

Still think shifting Komarov to 4th C instead of spending assets on Plekanec would have been the best decision. Allows Johnsson to get ice-time without sacrificing Kapanen, and the gud pro still gets his reps in. Leafs look sluggish without Johnsson and Dermott.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Congrats to NJ, they deserved it. Komarov was terrible, kadri had a bad game. The bozak line did nothing, Kapanen tried but his line mates sucked. Matthews line did pretty decent.

Hopefully Babcock puts in Johnsson after seeing how bad Komarov is. Dont want to get my hopes up though..

Komorov is a huge minus for anything offense.

He needs to be benched

Reactions: dsred

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
If I'm the opposing coach in the playoffs ,I send my forecheckers in hard on Zaitsev....see if he can handle it..

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Can someone explain why Babcock didn't use his timeout and stack the 6 on 5 unit with Marner, Matthews, and Nylander? Like 1 good reason?

Devils were able to shut down Marner on the half wall too effectively without the threat of Willy on the other half wall. When the puck got reversed to Rielly he couldn't make the same level of play.

dosages

Oct 16, 2017
A lot of teams run 4 full lines of guys that can play both offense and defense but babcock still plays the "elite" defensive player komarov over a player that can play PK too along along with lots of speed

Reactions: NiftyMits

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I want Johnsson in for the last game and for our playoff 4th line to be Johnsson - Plekanec - Kapanen.

Komarov did nothing tonight except turn the puck over and be a boat anchor for the other 2 guys.

Johnsson is good defensively and can PK there is no upside in playing Komarov over him other than experience... And we have Plekanec Marleau Hainsey etc for that.

Reactions: authentic

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
seeing hyman out there with goalie pull was classic old school babs though lol, hilarious lol

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If I'm the opposing coach in the playoffs ,I send my forecheckers in hard on Zaitsev....see if he can handle it..

I can tell you now he can't

He treats the puck like a grenade without pressure so with pressure it won't be pretty

Reactions: 6ix

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Can someone explain why Babcock didn't use his timeout and stack the 6 on 5 unit with Marner, Matthews, and Nylander? Like 1 good reason?

Devils were able to shut down Marner on the half wall too effectively without the threat of Willy on the other half wall. When the puck got reversed to Rielly he couldn't make the same level of play.

Add that to the 9 mysteries of the world

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
I’m okay with them playing conservatively now that the games mean nothing. But if they’re going to take their feet off the gas now, there’s gonna absolutely no excuse for efforts like these in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad