Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Babcock has already said hes going to try Hyman with Tavares if I'm not mistaken.

I think the 12 forwards you chose is the most talented potential lineup tho but wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Grundstrom to start the season in the AHL instead of on the 4th line.

Okay, I've missed that. Guess we should expect Marleau or Johnsson to take the spot next to Matthews and Nylander then?

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Wouldn't be shocked if they were to move Gardiner in a deal for a righty, lets say Tyler Myers for example (deal suggested by The Score), if Babs is asking Dubas for a "gud pro" in a guy like Dan Hamhuis. Hamhuis played for Babs in 2014 in the Sochi Olympics. Personally id rather him over a guy like Hainsey but im sure we'll let Hainsey walk in free agency next year.

Rielly-Myers
Hamhuis-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Okay, I've missed that. Guess we should expect Marleau or Johnsson to take the spot next to Matthews and Nylander then?

I think he alluded to something like

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner

I would really like to see Kadri center the two young guys in Johnsson and Kapanen.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yes I would 100% agree with this.
Brown is somewhat overrated by a portion of this fanbase and Kapanen has higher offensive upside imo.

I think you have it backwards as far as who is over rated. Kappy may have a higher offensive upside, but he hasn't score 20 in an NHL season yet. Not to mention his 2 assists in 55 career games.

Now I'll admit he hasn't had the greatest guys to play with but even Martin managed 9 assists in 50 games last year.

IMO he's still dining out on the goals against the Pens in game 81 and the OT winner against the Caps in the 2017.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I also think we're a 1 pp team now, we gotta get 34 going on there, ie by playing marner with him.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think you have it backwards as far as who is over rated. Kappy may have a higher offensive upside, but he hasn't score 20 in an NHL season yet. Not to mention his 2 assists in 55 career games.

Now I'll admit he hasn't had the greatest guys to play with but even Martin managed 9 assists in 50 games last year.

IMO he's still dining out on the goals against the Pens in game 81 and the OT winner against the Caps in the 2017.

How can we even call Kapanen "overrated" when hes literally spent most of his NHL service time on the 4th line with scrubs? Brown has at least been given a long look with offensively capable players.

I can just look at both guys skillsets and Kapanens is far more exciting as hes way more explosive and able to actually create some offense on his own unlike Brown.

Brown is a hard worker, whos responsible defensively and can PK but doesn't drive the play or create offense whatsoever.

But hes from Toronto, was a late round draft pick that beat the odds and works hard. Toronto fans LOVE these types of players.

Not saying hes terrible or anything but I don't think its too outlandish to think Kapanen is more talented and has a higher ceiling.

How about we give Kapanen some capable linemates before we call him overrated?.

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Just for fun

Marleau. Matthews. Kapenen
Hyman. Tavares. Nylander
Johnsson. Kadri. Marner
Grundstrom. Lindholm. Brown

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden

Yeah, but that was not the original point of the discussion. I don't see Brown running a pp unless he is maybe parked infront of the net. I could see Kapanen run a pp somehow tho.
Obviously he has to show a lot more, but he has to be given the chance for him to be able to show his potential.

Reactions: weems

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Brown was playing with Matthews as his center half of the year that he got 20 goals. And the other half he had Kadri as his center. Kapanen has never been given that kind of opportunity for any stretch of time. I like both Kappy and Brown though, but i would like to see Kappy off the 4th line and maybe some PP time

Reactions: Svanstrom and weems

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Brown is a good player, but I would trade him any day of the week if needed. It's not hard to find other players on the market that can do what he does.
I would not trade Marner, Matthews or Nylander since players like that is hard to come by and replace.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Brown is a good player, but I would trade him any day of the week if needed. It's not hard to find other players on the market that can do what he does.
I would not trade Marner, Matthews or Nylander since players like that is hard to come by and replace.
Everyone talks about trading from a position of strength to address an area of weakness.
Currently our right side D is a weakness IMO.
If management wants to wait to see how some of the players they have respond, that’s fine.
If not, we need to address that. We have an abundance of wingers and still nobody wants to use one to address the area of D.
We aren’t trading Nylander or Marner.
So at some point we have to look at Brown if the deal is there. I don’t want him traded either but you just can’t list off 25 guys you’re not trading if you need to improve an area.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Not saying hes terrible or anything but I don't think its too outlandish to think Kapanen is more talented and has a higher ceiling.
How about we give Kapanen some capable linemates before we call him overrated.

Kapanen has never been given that kind of opportunity for any stretch of time. I like both Kappy and Brown though, but i would like to see Kappy off the 4th line and maybe some PP time

I acknowledged he hasn't had much to work with, but 2 career assists doesn't scream driving offence to me. But he sure has the skill the young fans love.

Yeah, but that was not the original point of the discussion. I don't see Brown running a pp unless he is maybe parked infront of the net. I could see Kapanen run a pp somehow tho.
Obviously he has to show a lot more, but he has to be given the chance for him to be able to show his potential.

Who said anything about Brown running a powerplay? As far as Kap goes, I want to see a few more examples of playmaking, before he's running anything.

But hes from Toronto, was a late round draft pick that beat the odds and works hard. Toronto fans LOVE these types of players.

Not lately, it's all about the "skill" these days. It took two full seasons for half of this fan base to acknowledge Hyman was a contributor.

Last edited:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I acknowledged he hasn't had much to work with, but 2 career assists doesn't scream driving offence to me. But he sure has the skill the young fans love.

Who said anything about Brown running a powerplay? As far as Kap goes, I want to see a few more examples of playmaking, before he's running anything.

It's hard for me to take any of the numbers posted of a young forward seriously when they've seen like 11 minutes a game on a 4th line with non offensive players.

Brown has had the pleasure of playing with Matthews, Kadri and Bozak as his centers for prolonged stretchs while Kapanen hasn't seen anywhere near that opportunity.

Maybe Kapanen is indeed overrated and a total blackhole offensively but to say that at this current time is extremely short sighted and kneejerky considering his deployment at the NHL level.

I like how you threw in that little "skill the young fans love" like somehow my comments expose me to be really young or something.

Reactions: Svanstrom

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden

Not lately, it's all about the "skill" these days. It took two full seasons for half of this fan base to acknowledge Hyman was a contributor.

Well, let us know where you see Brown on a PP then?

How can Kapanen show us examples of playmaking unless he gets the opportunity to do so?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It's hard for me to take any of the numbers posted of a young forward seriously when they've seen like 11 minutes a game on a 4th line with non offensive players.

Brown has had the pleasure of playing with Matthews, Kadri and Bozak as his centers for prolonged stretchs while Kapanen hasn't seen anywhere near that opportunity

Maybe Kapanen is indeed overrated and a total blackhole offensively but to say that at this current time is extremely short sighted and kneejerky considering his deployment at the NHL level.

I like how you threw in that little "skill the young fans love" like somehow my comments expose me to be really young or something.

1. Acknowledged in both posts I made

2. Total blackhole offensively? Who said that? I merely compared his assist total in 55 games to Matt Martin's in 50 under similar conditions.

3. I have no idea of you're age, but it's been my experience that younger fans prefer the "skill player" and seem to think "gritty players" are no longer required.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well, let us know where you see Brown on a PP then?

How can Kapanen show us examples of playmaking unless he gets the opportunity to do so?

Not sure I see Brown on the PP, I just commented that I didn't think he was over rated.

He can't, I hope he gets off the 4th line and shows us many examples of playmaking. As of yet, he hasn't.......it's not meant to be a knock on the kid, but I haven't seen this amazing offence.....yet.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

2. Total blackhole offensively? Who said that? I merely compared his assist total in 55 games to Matt Martin's in 50 under similar conditions.

3. I have no idea of you're age, but it's been my experience that younger fans prefer the "skill player" and seem to think "gritty players" are no longer required.

Assist totals in sub 60 games of a young player playing on a 4th line with other non offensive players is not a very strong sample size.

He also paced out as a 15 goal scorer last season playing on a 4th line and that's pretty solid considering he barely played above 11 minutes. That's as many goals as Brown had playing 4 less minutes a game and with far inferior linemates.

This isn't "younger" fans preferring skilled players. The entire league is trending that way, look no further than some of the small players being drafted at the top of the draft.

Sure there's still a place for grit but the players need to be able to keep up and speed and skill is what rules the day nowadays in the NHL.

Reactions: Svanstrom

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden

You're not wrong, but if anything Kapanen has shown to be a gritty hard working player. I just potentially see him on the pp and not Brown right now. From my point of view we have 7 forwards that goes before both Kapanen and Brown for a spot on PP 1 and 2. I think it's time Kapanen gets to show what he's made off tho.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Not sure I see Brown on the PP, I just commented that I didn't think he was over rated.

He can't, I hope he gets off the 4th line and shows us many examples of playmaking. As of yet, he hasn't.......it's not meant to be a knock on the kid, but I haven't seen this amazing offence.....yet.

I agree with that

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Brown has had the pleasure of playing with Matthews, Kadri and Bozak as his centers for prolonged stretchs while Kapanen hasn't seen anywhere near that opportunity.

I have no horse in the race between Brown and Kapanen, but this discussion interested me, so I took a look at 5v5 points over the past two seasons by these two based on linemates. Obviously Brown has played a lot more with Matthews, Kadri and Bozak etc than Kapanen, but Kapanen actually has a higher 5v5 points per 60 with most Leafs forwards.

Brown has a higher points per 60 with Kadri, Marleau and Komarov. Kapanen has a higher points per 60 with Matthews, Hyman, JVR, Bozak, Leivo, Moore, Martin, and Plek. (Neither have ever had a point while on the ice 5v5 with Nylander, with Brown having played 58 minutes with him and Kapanen 16).

Certainly makes me feel that Kapanen should be given a chance playing up the lineup.

Reactions: weems

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i think babs balances the top 3 like this,

matthews nylander
tavares marner
kadri marleau

and then whoever the better defensive winger is between hyman, brown, kapanen, and johnsson will fill in the rest...thats why i expect hyman brown and kapanen, to be that speedy hustling defensive winger for each of top 3 lines...who goes where i dont know, i mean johnsson might be best offensive player among them, but babs likes that strong forechecker, energy, doing the little things guy on his top lines

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
i think babs balances the top 3 like this,

matthews nylander
tavares marner
kadri marleau

and then whoever the better defensive winger is between hyman, brown, kapanen, and johnsson will fill in the rest...thats why i expect hyman brown and kapanen, to be that speedy hustling defensive winger for each of top 3 lines...who goes where i dont know, i mean johnsson might be best offensive player among them, but babs likes that strong forechecker, energy, doing the little things guy on his top lines
Could definitely see it ending up something like that. Babcock likes his line pairings and Kadri and Marleau worked out really well. Wonder if that was due to Marner coming onto the line though.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Jooris/Gauthier/Lindholm-Brown

I wonder if Babcock is still going to give Kadri those matchup minutes or if Tavares will be taking those instead. If Leafs get home ice advantage and they use Kadri to match up to their top lines still, one of Matthews or Tavares are going to be facing third lines? That's nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad