Rumor: Leafs Interested in Tyler Myers #61

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Myers isn’t going anywhere. He was handpicked to join the Canucks’ vaunted “Calder Core”.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Toronto: I'm tired of seeing a Giraffe skating around Buffalo! I want one too!

Tyler Myers: *Happy Giraffe noises*

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The qualifying offer really isn't a big deal lol, this isn't some player who has a real value of 6 million with a 10 million QO.

Timo Meier is a legit ~9 million dollar player, he's PPG powerforward who can score 40 goals a season. Someone will reasonably give him an offer around 9 million x 7 years, is he really going to turn that down for a 10 x 1? Especially if Toronto works with Meier to get him to a location he would like to be at, effectively sending him to UFA 1 year early

I don't think you are fully understanding the situation.

If the Maple Leafs acquire him, and they only want him for this season but not beyond because of his contract situation, then they are not exactly dealing from a position of strength when they then try to move him before that qualifying offer is required.

Because everybody knows they aren't in a position to extend him, so what makes you think there are going to be teams willing to pay a first rounder in order to try and sign him while facing down a deadline before he is required to be offered a $10 million deal just to retain his rights?

Why wouldn't teams just wait until the Maple Leafs are forced to lower their sights or lose him for nothing.

I don't think it's a good strategy for the Leafs to target Meier if the plan is that they are just going to flip him for a 1st round draft pick. That seems much easier said than done.

Reactions: CDN24

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I don't think you are fully understanding the situation.

If the Maple Leafs acquire him, and they only want him for this season but not beyond because of his contract situation, then they are not exactly dealing from a position of strength when they then try to move him before that qualifying offer is required.

Because everybody knows they aren't in a position to extend him, so what makes you think there are going to be teams willing to pay a first rounder in order to try and sign him while facing down a deadline before he is required to be offered a $10 million deal just to retain his rights?

Why wouldn't teams just wait until the Maple Leafs are forced to lower their sights or lose him for nothing.

I don't think it's a good strategy for the Leafs to target Meier if the plan is that they are just going to flip him for a 1st round draft pick. That seems much easier said than done.
I mean the Wild weren't in a particularly advantageous position with Fiala either. They had to deal him as they were getting hit heavily with their dead cap and needed to move some players out. Yet they pulled off a decent deal

When a player is as good as a Fiala or a Meier, teams end up paying a decent price for the player. There will likely be multiple teams who want him and that can allow the price to be driven up

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
David Pagnotta called a few trades and signings. So we'll see
We will see. Tyler Myers not playing in a Leafs uniform. It's ridiculous. Maybe Pagnotta had credibility some time ago, but now all he does at the TFP is throw out random speculation as "hearing rumours from his sources".

No he's not, he's had huge scoops most notably he broke Tavares to Toronto
A dog with a Leafs jersey could've predicted that. It was a patently obvious free agent signing that hometown pajama boy was going home. Plus this is what I mean. He hasn't been relevant in years.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Lol what a reach.

Who is the source? All I see is a tweet reference another guy saying something, but for that guy I don't see him saying a source has told him the leafs are in on Meyers. All i see is bruce saying that he could see Meyers in Toronto.

Is this the type of journalism we get nowadays?

Tyler Meyers is not getting traded to the leafs, you can quote me on that.

The Leafs get tied to literally every player to generate clicks.

Reactions: hotpaws

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
i can give you the information but i can't give you the ability to understand it. that part is on you.
No
Sadly you just failed.

Dubas has never made a trade like Myers. Listing trades you didn't like didn't magically make any of them huge contracts that couldn't play on the roster.

Pack it in. You're embarassing yourself. We get it, you hate Dubas so much it makes you irrational. Thanks for sharing.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
No
Sadly you just failed.

Dubas has never made a trade like Myers. Listing trades you didn't like didn't magically make any of them huge contracts that couldn't play on the roster.

Pack it in. You're embarassing yourself. We get it, you hate Dubas so much it makes you irrational. Thanks for sharing.
i can't help you if your in denial

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Is this the type of journalism we get nowadays?

Tyler Meyers is not getting traded to the leafs, you can quote me on that.

The Leafs get tied to literally every player to generate clicks.

Pretty much. Why would the Leafs trade for Myers exactly?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Sad part is that Myers would still be an improvement over Holl.

Fopivs-WAAEjxi9

I don't have Holl's card but I'm not taking much of a leap by assuming his numbers are far superior, even taking into consideration he's on a much better team.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Pretty much. Why would the Leafs trade for Myers exactly?
There is some logic. First off the Leafs are one of those teams where the perception is that defense is a weakness. Second, maybe they don't want to pay a lot. Myers is a guy that the GM and president of the Canucks pretty much said they need to move him, so the cost will be low and they may retain. Third, Myers is an interesting Dman. On paper he isn't going to be your Lindholm level of impact but maybe he will. He's a gamble

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You know what? Bring him in but send Justin Holl the other way because that dude single handily lost them the game last night

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
There is some logic. First off the Leafs are one of those teams where the perception is that defense is a weakness. Second, maybe they don't want to pay a lot. Myers is a guy that the GM and president of the Canucks pretty much said they need to move him, so the cost will be low and they may retain. Third, Myers is an interesting Dman. On paper he isn't going to be your Lindholm level of impact but maybe he will. He's a gamble
He's just a low IQ player. Has all the tools to be an elite player but can't put them together for more than 1 shift a game. My friends have a name for him, it's Bobby Myers. He turns into it for 1 shift a game where he looks like he's going to take over, but then reverts back to Tyler and his bonehead mistakes.

He could be good in a system that is heavily sheltered where he would be able to skate with the puck. Just don't expect him to be physical and when he does, expect a penalty because he goes overboard with his height advantage.

Feb 20, 2013
He's just a low IQ player. Has all the tools to be an elite player but can't put them together for more than 1 shift a game. My friends have a name for him, it's Bobby Myers. He turns into it for 1 shift a game where he looks like he's going to take over, but then reverts back to Tyler and his bonehead mistakes.

He could be good in a system that is heavily sheltered where he would be able to skate with the puck. Just don't expect him to be physical and when he does, expect a penalty because he goes overboard with his height advantage.
Good points. Myers has a toolbox that is pretty unique to the NHL. He has good hands, is a good skater and a reach that no one else has. He is small, by which I mean his weight/height ratio is very low, and is not really a physical player. He is completely miscast/misunderstood because people see his height and assume he is the second coming of Hal Gill.

I am dead certain that he is a better player than he has looked in Vancouver, and that a good coach would figure out how to use his unique skillset effectively. He is legitimately elite in certain very particular aspects of the game such as moving the puck E-W off the rush and can be a force when attacking with speed off the point. Playing heavily sheltered minutes in a rush based offensive system on a good puck possession team would help him unlock some of his potential, but the ideal scenario is for him to be deployed on right wing. Put Myers in a position where he has very few defensive responsibilities and increase the frequency at which he is the puck carrier in 1 on 1 rush situations, where he can use his best assets (skating and reach) and you will unlock his true potential. It makes no sense that this hasn't yet been tried.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto: I'm tired of seeing a Giraffe skating around Buffalo! I want one too!

Tyler Myers: *Happy Giraffe noises*
Giraffes actually rarely make articulated noises of any kind. It's only been observed a handful of times.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Myers makes some sense for the Leafs cause of his contract structure if Vancouver was willing to give him up for no return or with retained salary.

Leafs use this playoffs, then pay his July 1st signing bonus of 5M. Then he's only owed 1M to play next season and the Leafs would deal him to a team that's concerned about real dollars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad