Speculation: Leafs interested in Granlund

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

But the consensus among sources around the league seems to be that one player who fits that description and whom the Leafs like is winger Mikael Granlund, who will become available if the 6-9-0 Predators continue to drop games.

Granlund was one of the NHL’s unrestricted free agents impacted by the flat cap, as he hung around unsigned well past the October opening of free agency. He ultimately didn’t get a contract until late December when he inked a one-year deal for $3.75 million to go back to a team where he had struggled mightily to produce.

One of the teams that showed plenty of interest along the way was the Leafs, but Dubas simply didn’t have enough cap space to make it happen.

Reactions: hn777 and Go4soda

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Assuming things continue to spiral for the Preds, we should be happy to move him. And ample room to retain to make it work. He's playing A LOT better than last year. Really hustling and working his tail off. We still don't ever score so his points aren't huge. But on a "real team" he'd probably be doing very well.

If it was a normal year, I'd be hunting for a late 1st. But no idea what this year's rental market will be.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Assuming things continue to spiral for the Preds, we should be happy to move him. And ample room to retain to make it work. He's playing A LOT better than last year. Really hustling and working his tail off. We still don't ever score so his points aren't huge. But on a "real team" he'd probably be doing very well.

If it was a normal year, I'd be hunting for a late 1st. But no idea what this year's rental market will be.
Retention would be necessary with a guy like Engvall possibly going back to make the cap work. Don't see the leafs having any interest in spending a 1st rounder though for half a year of Granlund

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Not enough forwards. That is clearly the problem.

Honestly, it kind of has been. Below is Toronto's per 82 game paces, the bottom is full of underachievers. Granlund used to be a decent checker too, if I remember correctly, which would be great. Can he still PK?

upload_2021-2-16_11-13-27.png

Reactions: LFCTML

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Honestly, it kind of has been. Below is Toronto's per 82 game paces, the bottom is full of underachievers. Granlund used to be a decent checker too, if I remember correctly, which would be great. Can he still PK?

View attachment 396889
Robertson looked great in his AHL game yesterday. Is there any reason he's not getting a chance?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Granlund is our primary PK forward... I don't know what that exactly adds, since our PK sucks horrendously. Hynes loves Granlund and plays him over 20 mins a lot of nights. Whether that vouches for him or not is also open to debate. But just from an eyeball perspective Granlund is really hustling, getting his hands dirty, and playing with a lot more zip this year than he has in his previous go-rounds with us.

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019
Retention would be necessary with a guy like Engvall possibly going back to make the cap work. Don't see the leafs having any interest in spending a 1st rounder though for half a year of Granlund
Leafs need to keep Engvall and do their best to get rid of Kerfoot! He puts out no effort to win battles or play physical. Useless!

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nice, glad there's at least some sort of proof that Nashville will be a seller this year. Granlund has been playing a lot better this year than in the last two for us.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I always thought that Granlund would be perfect for a team like PIT. He has turned himself into a good two way forward, but I hope that his passing/stickhandling game hasn't been coached out of him. He is one of the best passers of the puck I have ever seen. I don't see how you can lose that skill. Also used to be very good at zone entries. He's not fast or strong, but he is vg at handling the puck in small areas.

At the relatively miniscule cap hit he is on, he is a bargain. NSH seems to be a team where offense goes to die( and this is coming from a MN fan- we know about dead offense), so i would add 20% onto his production with just about any other team.

NSH might retain if someone makes it worth their while, and might take back an expiring salary, but again, someone will have to make it worth their while.

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leafs need to keep Engvall and do their best to get rid of Kerfoot! He puts out no effort to win battles or play physical. Useless!
I like Engvall too but Kefoot is needed as they don't really have a replacement 3C unless the idea is to shift Jumbo there

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Granlund has really come back to Nashville in a sort of resurgent manner. During the offseason, I didn't want him brought back... but now it'll pain me to see him go b/c he's one of the few players that puts in a consistent effort and plays hard every game. Not really sure what would be needed to make things work out. Nashville can easily retain 50% to bring his caphit to $1,875,000. I personally have zero interest in Kerfoot or Engvall coming back our direction.

With Nashville's ability to retain and how Granlund is playing, I could see them getting a 1st out of someone for Granlund or a 2nd + a good prospect.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Would much rather have Arvidsson, although i'm not sure if he's available. Leafs need more guys with intensity and motor. Granlund doesn't really have these in his game.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'd hope he'd be available, but he'd cost more than Granlund would.
Only players off the table should be:
Forsberg
End of list

Josi has a NMC and his caphit would be hard to make work with a trade partner.
Ellis, Johansen, and Duchene would be hard to move due to contracts they have.

Arvidsson has a pretty good contract so if he went I'd expect a fair bit for him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would much rather have Arvidsson, although i'm not sure if he's available. Leafs need more guys with intensity and motor. Granlund doesn't really have these in his game.
I don't think anybody could argue against Arvy's motor, but if there is one player who stands out for "intensity and motor" on our team this year, it's probably Granlund, ahead of Arvidsson.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I don't think anybody could argue against Arvy's motor, but if there is one player who stands out for "intensity and motor" on our team this year, it's probably Granlund, ahead of Arvidsson.

Yes that guy clearly doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Not enough forwards. That is clearly the problem.

I know it's the Leafs so meme posts like this will just never change but yes, it actually is the "problem" insofar as there is one, which is hyperbolic to say. Would I like to swap Morgan Rielly out for a well rounded dman who doesn't shit his pants under pressure? Sure, but that's not realistic. We don't need another top 4 dman or depth defensmen, really very few issues with those positions anymore contrary to hf hive mind.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I always thought that Granlund would be perfect for a team like PIT. He has turned himself into a good two way forward, but I hope that his passing/stickhandling game hasn't been coached out of him. He is one of the best passers of the puck I have ever seen. I don't see how you can lose that skill. Also used to be very good at zone entries. He's not fast or strong, but he is vg at handling the puck in small areas.

At the relatively miniscule cap hit he is on, he is a bargain. NSH seems to be a team where offense goes to die( and this is coming from a MN fan), so i would add 20% onto his production with just about any other team.

NSH might retain if someone makes it worth their while, and might take back an expiring salary, but again, someone will have to make it worth their while.

Would love to see a Zucker-Crosby-Granlund line, but I don't think Burke/Hextall would agree. But we could bring back Jake and Rust with Malkin and find a decent 3C for Kapanen (Tierney?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad