Pre-Game Talk: Leafs in Detroit | Wednesday @ 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A long break between games.

fun fact, this will be the first Toronto-Detroit matchup without Mike Babcock, since before the 2004-05 lockout!!

it’ll be interesting to see who starts against DET on Wednesday. Babcock would start Andersen no question, but I think Keefe and Dubas are more on the goalie management side of things and that could mean going backup here. But we are also in a spot where we need to win as many games as we can, so they might need to go Freddy.

Assuming today is a CBA mandated day off for the players, Keefe will have two full practice days Monday and Tuesday to work on things, so we may see more differences come Wednesday night.

Edit:
Perhaps this game isn’t the best example, but the usage of the backup is one of the things I’m looking to see a change of with Keefe. Backups can play more than back to back situations, or should be able to anyway.

Freddy should be in the 55-60 game range

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Yep, perfect time for a break and let Keefe collect his thoughts and prepare a plan. Love the timing of this break.

Curious though why you think any coach would play the backup Wednesday when it's not a back-to-back situation? Especially with a perfect opportunity next weekend to play the backup?

Reactions: weems

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Andersen should be playing. 4 days between games, and a back-to-back coming next weekend. Not only is there no reason not to play the better player, but you also don't want your starting goalie sitting for a week.

This has gotten kind of ridiculous.
Was Babcock a little too stubborn when it came to usage of goaltenders in the context of the situation? Yes.
Is playing Andersen in rested games and the first half a back-to-back the correct choice in most cases? Yes.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Andersen should be playing. 4 days between games, and a back-to-back coming next weekend. Not only is there no reason not to play the better player, but you also don't want your starting goalie sitting for a week.

Perhaps this game isn’t the best example, but the usage of the backup is one of the things I’m looking to see a change of with Keefe. Backups can play more than back to back situations, or should be able to anyway.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

fun fact, this will be the first Toronto-Detroit matchup without Mike Babcock, since before the 2004-05 lockout!!

it’ll be interesting to see who starts against DET on Wednesday. Babcock would start Andersen no question, but I think Keefe and Dubas are more on the goalie management side of things and that could mean going backup here. But we are also in a spot where we need to win as many games as we can, so they might need to go Freddy.

Assuming today is a CBA mandated day off for the players, Keefe will have two full practice days Monday and Tuesday to work on things, so we may see more differences come Wednesday night.

Edit:

I disagree that he should not be playing. If the Leafs were 10 points in a playoff position I would understand, but they cannot afford to not have their best lineups out there every night if physically possible. Any team can win on any night and Leafs need to keep building on their early coaching change success.

Other than back to backs, I'm playing Andersen every game. It might not be fun for the back up, but that's why they have backup goalies. They are in because the starter needs to recuperate from the last game. Leafs can't play around and lose a point or two when they might not have.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

I doubt we see that much change. Andersen likes playing in the first half of a back to back, and especially with the talent difference between our 2 goalies, playing the backup on rested days makes no sense. There is no reason that Andersen can't play 60-65 games, especially if we're in a situation where we need to play catch up. This panic about goalie starts is one of the most baffling and nonsensical trends of the last couple years.

Hopefully Keefe will consider context a little more in back-to-back situations, but beyond that, I doubt we see much change other than hopefully a better system which won't exacerbate problems in the back half games.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Glad that Keefe will have a few days to practice with the team now. They should be rested and ready to go for this one.

Should be a win. Hopefully it's a good one.

Reactions: stickty111

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Edit:

You need to go with Freddie our backups have proven they can't play and that goes back to Sparks.

You put in the starter and you lock down the win.

There simply is no other option I wish there was but there's not.

You play Andersen because you have no choice

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If the Leafs are comfortably in a playoff spot sure. But they arent.

I would argue that part of the reason we aren’t is because we’ve put our backups in a poor situation.

As I said, this game might not be the best example, but the usage of our backups is something that needs to change

Last edited:
Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
No Mantha vs Detroit on Wednesday. 2 points is a must.

With points being so important right now, would it be crazy to play Andersen in all 3 games this week? Opportunity for 6 points is there and taking points from divisional opponents (especially Buffalo) is important.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would argue that part of the reason we aren’t is because we’ve put our backups in a poor situation.

As I said, this game might not be the best example, but the usage of our backups is something that needs to Cuba he

Cuba he? What? I'm not sure what that's supposed to be

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Detroit has a -37 goal differential this year... By far the worst in the league.

This is a game for the big guns to get their points if we play well. 4 days off should give Keefe lots of time to work on things with the boys.

For some reason Detroit can beat us, Boston, and Tampa but nobody else though so let's hope to buck that trend.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Start Freddy both games, f***. Crucial crucial games, these next 4-5 games. They simply have to go on a run now before things tighten up later in the year or the schedule/injuries hurt them even more. 8 teams competing for two wild card spots, majority of which have a similar or > pts% than the Leafs. It's not looking good rn and that's a fact. I'm hoping the players are not deluded enough to not realize that. They definitely do, and I hope they work their tail off right now. Not a big deal if they snooze a bit and are comfortably in a playoff pos but not the case right now.

Can you trust KK to win you a game? I guess Keefe would know best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad