Rumor: Leafs heavily scouting Carolina

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Part of the problem in a few years in the past is that teams like the Pens would be on auto-pilot until it mattered making it "seem" like there was a chance, and then would take over and separate themselves from the bubble teams. Even this year they are only 1 point ahead of the Canes, but I doubt they'll lose out to Carolina.
Yeah that's y I said it's Montreal or clb

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
This is not arbitrary... This is my standard for all playoff teams( this is how I make my bets) don't matter the team. We did make it but we didn't need any big runs, we had a plus goal differential, we were there all season, and we had elite talent.
But even then i wasn't expecting it, im not making fun as I've been a fan of you know what team. I was stating my point of view and maybe went a little to sarcastic on it. Anyways those are my basic guidelines of a playoff team and so far it's been correct 85 percent of the time.
Uh, your standard IS arbitrary.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think Columbus is catchable especially if they trade away assets that are becoming free agents instead of losing them for nothing in return...

Reactions: kb

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I’ll never say never, but would be shocked if Carolina took back Gardiner, who is a UFA to be (or Zaitsev for that matter) in a deal for one of their D.

You have to at least try to take another teams needs into account when proposing deals.
I was. You’re basically swapping ufas with Gardiner and Ferland, but Gardiner plays a position that your team isn’t the strongest at and could easily re-sign or be flipped at the deadline for futures if your management team decides to pull chute. Gardiner would fetch more than Ferland seeing that there’s a lot more quality forwards on the market than 50 point d men who skate like a gazelle. That’s why I threw in the 2nd as well.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Carolina is not going to trade a young top pairing dman with a great contract for a UFA and 2nd line winger. And they gotta add to boot?

See above. This is actually even worse for Canes because they're adding Ferland too lol.
Pesce is literally Zaitsev but a few years younger. He’s not worth a ton more than a Johnsson, also what are we expecting Ferland to fetch at the TDL? Certainly not a ton considering the amount of quality ufa forwards on the trade market this year. Ferland for Gardiner ufa swap that meets each teams needs and Johnsson for Pesce. The second rounds out the value shift the two different sides might place on their own guys.
Gardiner is a 50 pt dman and here are less of those available this TDL than middle 6 forwards.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was. You’re basically swapping ufas with Gardiner and Ferland, but Gardiner plays a position that your team isn’t the strongest at and could easily re-sign or be flipped at the deadline for futures if your management team decides to pull chute. Gardiner would fetch more than Ferland seeing that there’s a lot more quality forwards on the market than 50 point d men who skate like a gazelle. That’s why I threw in the 2nd as well.

No, you really aren't. Canes don't need a D back in any scenario, much less one that's a UFA. And the whole "You can just flip him for futures" is fan speak. The deadline is just 9 days away and I'm sure the Canes have had oars in the water on Ferland and probably had some substantial talks about him with other teams already. They'd not want to have to start the whole process over with Gardiner in "hopes" they could get a better return. It's a senseless move that makes no sense for the Canes.

IMO, they'd much rather keep Ferland or Trade Ferland for picks/prospects than make a move like you suggest.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Pesce is literally Zaitsev but a few years younger*. He’s not worth a ton more than a Johnsson, also what are we expecting Ferland to fetch at the TDL? Certainly not a ton considering the amount of quality ufa forwards on the trade market this year. Ferland for Gardiner ufa swap that meets each teams needs and Johnsson for Pesce. The second rounds out the value shift the two different sides might place on their own guys.
Gardiner is a 50 pt dman and here are less of those available this TDL than middle 6 forwards.
*And currently way better in almost every statistical capacity.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I watched Pesce the entire game last night, he is a nice player and would look good alongside Rielly.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Pesce is literally Zaitsev but a few years younger. He’s not worth a ton more than a Johnsson, also what are we expecting Ferland to fetch at the TDL? Certainly not a ton considering the amount of quality ufa forwards on the trade market this year. Ferland for Gardiner ufa swap that meets each teams needs and Johnsson for Pesce. The second rounds out the value shift the two different sides might place on their own guys.

this is way off the mark

Reactions: kb

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I just hope the Leafs don't trade Kapanen, as all the articles seem to always mention his name when trade talks with Carolina come up, the guy is one of the clutchest players we have and his speed is ridiculous. He's the kind of player you want on your side in a playoff series.

I think the cost would be too steep for a guy like Pesce, its safer to wait for Sandin and Liljegren and keep our draft pics and other prospects.

Reactions: go comets

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I just hope the Leafs don't trade Kapanen, as all the articles seem to always mention his name when trade talks with Carolina come up, the guy is one of the clutchest players we have and his speed is ridiculous. He's the kind of player you want on your side in a playoff series.

I think the cost would be too steep for a guy like Pesce, its safer to wait for Sandin and Liljegren and keep our draft pics and other prospects.
I think it depends on what his agent is telling dubas right now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Leafs should demand a heck of a lot if someone comes looking for Kapanen.

There are very few players who can skate like Kapanen in this league, additionally, he is one of their more physical forwards, and can play the PK and only 22 years old.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
How does a 2nd pairing D-man like Pesce who doesn't even play for the Leafs get so much attention? Crazy.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Have seen some traction on this concept, so here goes:

Hamilton + Wallmark for Kadri + Brown.

I believe the cap is basically a wash with Brown in the deal. Very valuable players on both sides, but I think that it’s workable and addresses both team’s needs. CAR has the depth to absorb the loss of Hamilton; TOR could shift Nylander to C or let Wallmark take over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad